Jump to content
bird watcher

Mancini Trade Package

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So you’re saying offensively he’s similar to Gordon?    Not a terrible analogy, I suppose, though Gordon has more plate discipline.    Gordon’s been all over the place offensively in his career, so it’s a little hard to know which version of Gordon we’re comparing him to.  

Yes, except for the speed. Moderate pop for an OF with a decent batting average. Take away the stellar defense though and I think it makes him a very mediocre player. Another comp would be a poor man's Adam Jones without the defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting rid of Trumbo will make it simpler.  Mancini can play 1b and make Davis the  DH although they can switch out at times.   Unless ownership agrees to eat Davis contract..unlikely for 2019 at least, imho.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Getting rid of Trumbo will make it simpler.  Mancini can play 1b and make Davis the  DH although they can switch out at times.   Unless ownership agrees to eat Davis contract..unlikely for 2019 at least, imho.  

I don't think Mancini is any better defensively at first than Chris Davis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

I don't think Mancini is any better defensively at first than Chris Davis. 

Yes, well that will be the least of our problems going forward.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this would be the time to see if Mancini can be a productive hitter while dhing unlike Trumbo, who hit much better when playing in the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I'm saying is that Trey will be a solid player...the Salmon comp wasn't supposed to be a statistical one...i was using the analogy to say Mancini might be a Salmon type player...beloved by his home fans and not really well known around the league. And by the way, even if I over stated Mancini in his comparison to Tim, who's to say I'm absolutely wrong...we don't know what the future will bring. Its still only his second full season, and Trey could get stronger, smarter as a hitter and become a 30 HR a year guy. If Im wrong....who cares? SUE ME.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should not step foot in the outfield again in his career. Very solid player as a DH/1B and easy to root for but I have no faith in him having much value if Buck is still the manager and still putting him in the OF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 7:52 AM, LA2 said:

That's called "turning the pitch inside-out."

And over the rightfield wall!

He has absolutely trended up. Since not having to pretend that he is a left fielder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

All I'm saying is that Trey will be a solid player...the Salmon comp wasn't supposed to be a statistical one...i was using the analogy to say Mancini might be a Salmon type player...beloved by his home fans and not really well known around the league. And by the way, even if I over stated Mancini in his comparison to Tim, who's to say I'm absolutely wrong...we don't know what the future will bring. Its still only his second full season, and Trey could get stronger, smarter as a hitter and become a 30 HR a year guy. If Im wrong....who cares? SUE ME.

I actually think we see more than one 30 HR seasons from Mancini. His 162-game pace in his career is 27 so it's not unrealistic to think he goes to 31 or 32 a couple times. That said, 30 HRs today is more like 20 HRs of yesteryear. The pop with a career .323 OBP still leaves him as a solid-to-good hitter at a position where you really need to be well above average with the bat to offer real value.

I think, ultimately, with Mancini we have a solid 6-hole hitter on a good team. That's not great, but certainly has value.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I actually think we see more than one 30 HR seasons from Mancini. His 162-game pace in his career is 27 so it's not unrealistic to think he goes to 31 or 32 a couple times. That said, 30 HRs today is more like 20 HRs of yesteryear. The pop with a career .323 OBP still leaves him as a solid-to-good hitter at a position where you really need to be well above average with the bat to offer real value.

I think, ultimately, with Mancini we have a solid 6-hole hitter on a good team. That's not great, but certainly has value.

Certainly has value. As a DH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Yeah, It was and we got unlucky not to win a WS with it.   Thinking back Bonilla (mostly) and his agent were masterful in ensuring he’d have an income most of the rest of his life. $1 million until 2035 by the Mets was masterful. Hard to believe the Mets would agree to it.    Getting paid $34 million and for 34 years after his retirement. I know deferred money is more common now. But, Bobby was ahead of the curve. Also, $1 million was more in 2001 than it is in today’s game. The other $500,000 partially from us until 2023 was also an extra 24 years of income.
    • And you know this how? I ask because I’m a restaurant guy that was in the process of buying/opening a restaurant in Westminster when the pandemic hit in March. My initial thought was on crabs (AUCE) and full service options for breakfast through dinner.    I spoke to several distributors and most of the crabs and crabmeat is from Louisiana and Texas. Here Maryland/Virginia product is mixed in during the season. In bulk, the Louisiana stuff is very affordable even for Jumbo Lump.    FYI, G&M and Timbuktu were owned by the same family for a considerable amount of years. I can’t say that I know if they still are but any change would’ve been in the last couple of years. Speaking of foreign crab meat, It’s Phillips that uses crab meat from a cove they created in Indonesia. They transported Blue Crab from here to there and it’s essentially farm raised, fed fish local to that area, and tastes off IMO. @CarrRun49 You can almost always get Backfin at Giant for around $12. It’s from South America, Peru as I recall. Which is much better than making it out of canned Salmon. The thought of that makes me want to 🤮  I think I’d rather not have them
    • Thank you for the video. I generally “scout” high school players and really hadn’t watched that much of him but he really has a sweet swing. His outfield play isn’t amazing but much better than we have marched out their since Markakis wasn’t resigned. Man that is a great swing!  I know I have said this before, but I was told 15-20 years ago that when you draft, you don’t want the 16 year old with a full beard because he is already peaking maturely but a 20 year old that can’t grow a beard has more to grow into. Not every gm goes with that, but this kid looks like a kid and has room to grow. Also with that logic, they haven’t peaked performance wise.  Physically I can see him turning into a Manny Ramirez body type(let’s hope he has that kind of career without whatever). Also why I like Rutschman, baby face with room to mature into a projectable body type. He reminds me of a Buster Posey at the same age.  Great job on this pick. I was never sold on Martin or Torkleson  (If any Os exects want to employ me, reach out and send me to Cuba!)😉
    • Every time I hear Crab cakes I think about Koco's Pub. Really miss those.
    • Sadly, Timbuktu no longer uses blue crab meat either. More flavorless Asian  crab. Sure makes for tremendous profit margin when you can fool consumers.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...