SteveA

I think we are better than the Tigers

49 minutes ago, atomic said:

Maybe we should become Yankee fans.  

The door is always there.    You just have to choose to walk through it.

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My goal as a fan isn't to make everything easy.  Winning shouldn't be treated as an entitlement.  I strongly dislike fanbases that treat winning as a birthright.  I'd like few things more than a good half-century of the Yanks and Sox winning 47 games a season.

Back in the 70's that is what Orioles fans thought.  We had 18 straight winning seasons at one point and 22 out of 23.  

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The door is always there.    You just have to choose to walk through it.

I would rather be a Red Sox fan.  The Yankees team doesn't really appeal to me too much. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They're not going to give up the expanded revenues and interest generated by expanded playoffs.  Four teams in the playoffs is a complete non-starter.  Zero chance.

The Premier League has other things to root for besides winning the league.  Champions League.  FA Cup.  League Cup.  Promotion/Relegation battles.  MLB has winning the World Series, and that's it.  Without playoffs involving a significant number of teams more than half the league will look up on opening day and hope next year is better, but it probably won't be.  You have to give people something to root for beyond a 1-in-50 or 1-in-100 chance of winning the Series.

You say there is nothing wrong with a small handful of teams winning repeatedly.  I strongly disagree.  When ESPN became the Boston/NY channel I stopped watching.  When Boston and NY come to town, I don't go to games.  When the Pats are in the Super Bowl, I care even less than I would otherwise.  When the Yanks were in the World Series almost every year from 1947-57 attendance fell from 20M to 16M.  

"willing to compete" really means "willing to spend with teams who have five times the population base".  Baseball needs to structure itself so that Milwaukee and Cleveland and Pittsburgh and Baltimore can regularly compete, not contract everyone that can't spend with the Cubs and Dodgers and Yanks and Sox.  Baseball's fatal flaw with expansion wasn't that they expanded, but that they didn't put five teams in NY, four in LA, three in Chicago and two or three in Boston.  Things would probably be improved if the PCL went major in the 1920s, and the Giants, Dodgers, Braves, A's and others were still in their original cities.

I get what you're saying - but the NFL has had Brady, Manning, or Roethlisberger in the Super Bowl basically every year since 2002. Golden State has made the Finals five years in a row. The NFL is huge, the NBA is doing great.

40M people tuned in to Game 7 of the 2016 World Series - the most since Game 7 of the 1991 World Series. Likewise, 31M people watched Game 7 of the Cavs/Warriors in 2016 - the most since 1998, Jordan's last game with the Bulls. MLB can still draw an audience (and exceed other sports) when there's something worth watching.

I think generally, more people watch sports when they know the players in it. LeBron, Brady, Manning, Steph Curry - those guys are like Hollywood A-listers.

I think baseball's problem - is they stink at getting information about other teams to fans in other cities. Even the most casual NFL fan who only watches the Ravens on a Sunday is going to know the quarterback, running back, best receiver, and defensive star of a West Coast team. Then, when those teams are in the playoffs - they're familiar with those teams and more likely to watch them play.

There's no reason why Mike Trout and Mookie Betts shouldn't be names known by every sports fan. But, MLB's broadcasts really aren't great.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, atomic said:

Back in the 70's that is what Orioles fans thought.  We had 18 straight winning seasons at one point and 22 out of 23.  

But that was before the full effects of free agency.  You could still win by platooning Benny Ayala.  

46 minutes ago, Anonsnides said:

1860?

Like anyone would support a team that finished in 12th place in the third division.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Like anyone would support a team that finished in 12th place in the third division.  

And yet they averaged nearly 15k in attendance, because the team means more to those people then the silverware. 

And I suspect that's why you are here instead of on SoSH, or some Yankees forum. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But that was before the full effects of free agency.  You could still win by platooning Benny Ayala.  

Also teams would routinely have a 9 man pitching staff and that allowed for players like Benny Ayala to have a role on the team.

No room for Benny in 2019 when benches sometimes carry only three players.

3 hours ago, Anonsnides said:

And yet they averaged nearly 15k in attendance, because the team means more to those people then the silverware. 

And I suspect that's why you are here instead of on SoSH, or some Yankees forum. 

Supporting them would be like someone from France having the Bowie Baysox as their favorite team.  Having been to Munich on several occasions I never saw anyone wear their gear or any stores selling it. Yet I saw entire stores dedicated to Bayern Munchen.  

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also teams would routinely have a 9 man pitching staff and that allowed for players like Benny Ayala to have a role on the team.

No room for Benny in 2019 when benches sometimes carry only three players.

Yeah different game back in the 70’s.  Mike Marshall pitched 208 innings in relief as the Dodgers closer in 1974.  That is more than most starters these days,

5 hours ago, atomic said:

I grew up in Baltimore and followed the Os since the early 1960s. They were the best franchise in MLB for 25 years and while I thought they always would be I never thought I was entitled to it. And never stopped caring thru the 14 year darkness.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, atomic said:

I would rather be a Red Sox fan.  The Yankees team doesn't really appeal to me too much. 

Imagine being a New England sports fan.  4 Red Sox titles, 6 Patriots titles, 1 Celtics title, and probably 2 Bruins titles....all this century. 

14 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Imagine being a New England sports fan.  4 Red Sox titles, 6 Patriots titles, 1 Celtics title, and probably 2 Bruins titles....all this century. 

Yeah an great seafood to go,with it,