Jump to content
OFFNY

The Rubber Match (vs. TIGERS, 5/29)

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, jtm said:

The tough thing is we are all used to Buck for the last 8 plus seasons.  Save for one notable post season exception, Buck was a master at handling the bullpen.  Hyde seems far more robotic and predictable, and less willing to make decisions on feel, and protect his pitchers from facing one too many batters.  So far, it’s tough to defend his decisions with the results.   

It doesn’t matter, but I disagree with you. Buck was constantly leaving people in too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Philip said:

It doesn’t matter, but I disagree with you. Buck was constantly leaving people in too long.

Agree to disagree then.

Edited by jtm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jtm said:

The tough thing is we are all used to Buck for the last 8 plus seasons.  Save for one notable post season exception, Buck was a master at handling the bullpen.  Hyde seems far more robotic and predictable, and less willing to make decisions on feel, and protect his pitchers from facing one too many batters.  So far, it’s tough to defend his decisions with the results.   

Buck was very old school robotic where Hyde is the complete opposite.  Buck would go with his guys one inning each 7th, 8th, 9th.  Brach, O'day Britton they each got one inning and he rarely would pitch them more then an inning.  Givens who was the closer has come into the 8th innings multiple times and then go the 9th already this season.  He has came in the 9th in regular save situation as well.  Hyde has changed guys up 7th 8th and 9th and most times they were going 1 inning plus when we had a lead.  Buck had good guys in the pen and trusted them and he just used it the way most feel it should be one inning pitchers he was rarely a feel guy it worked because he had you know good pitchers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Buck was very old school robotic where Hyde is the complete opposite.  Buck would go with his guys one inning each 7th, 8th, 9th.  Brach, O'day Britton they each got one inning and he rarely would pitch them more then an inning.  Givens who was the closer has come into the 8th innings multiple times and then go the 9th already this season.  He has came in the 9th in regular save situation as well.  Hyde has changed guys up 7th 8th and 9th and most times they were going 1 inning plus when we had a lead.  Buck had good guys in the pen and trusted them and he just used it the way most feel it should be one inning pitchers he was rarely a feel guy it worked because he had you know good pitchers.  

Buck also had good pitchers because he used them properly.  You cannot divorce having good pitchers with using them to their strengths and with the right rest.  Both aspects are necessary for an effective pen.  You need only remember the Lee Mazzilli and Mike Hargrove tenures to see a manager who misused bullpen pitchers, getting them up without using them, and bringing guys in without warming enough, let alone overusing one pitcher.  Also, I don't think I would describe Buck as robotic in any capacity except in that he was not a shake up the lineup kind of manager.  That doesn't mean robotic to me.  Robotic to me is making automatic moves because the book says so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...