Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Legend_Of_Joey

Yusniel Diaz activated

Recommended Posts

I thought Hays would already be at Norfolk, so I've been wrong before. I look at Williams as more of an organizational guy than some of the younger guys at Bowie, but maybe the Orioles do have plans for him and Rickard. I didn't think Nichting was very old. Hays has been there and done that at Bowie. It seems like it's time for him to show what he can do in AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I thought Hays would already be at Norfolk, so I've been wrong before. I look at Williams as more of an organizational guy than some of the younger guys at Bowie, but maybe the Orioles do have plans for him and Rickard. I didn't think Nichting was very old. Hays has been there and done that at Bowie. It seems like it's time for him to show what he can do in AAA.

You don't have to be old to be considered an org guy.  Rifaela and Nichting are not prospects and both are already 24.  They will be moved around and benched at the expense of players the organization values getting at bats.  Released if necessary.  Williams too.  Rickard is trending that way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather sit Williams or Rickard than a guy like Nichting, who has done pretty well in three years in the system, but that's just me. If Hays spends three years in Bowie, that doesn't say a lot to me about him being a future starter in Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I'd rather sit Williams or Rickard than a guy like Nichting, who has done pretty well in three years in the system, but that's just me. If Hays spends three years in Bowie, that doesn't say a lot to me about him being a future starter in Baltimore.

Hays hasn’t spent three years in Bowie. He’s spent two half seasons there and just started playing games their this season last week. Once he shows some sustained success there, he will be promoted to Norfolk or maybe even Baltimore. He hasn’t done that since 2017. 

What’s the rush aside from you being impatient as a fan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He hasn’t spent three years in Bowie. He’s spent two half seasons there and just started playing games their this season last week. Once he shows some sustained success in there, he will be promoted to Norfolk or maybe even Baltimore. He hasn’t done that since 2017. 

What’s the rush aside from you being impatient as a fan? 

Hasn't done what since 2017?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hasn't done what since 2017?

 

Shown sustained success at a minor league level unless you count the end of last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Shown sustained success at a minor league level unless you count the end of last season. 

He put up a 905 OPS in Tulsa last year with more walks than strikeouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He put up a 905 OPS in Tulsa last year with more walks than strikeouts.

We were discussing Hays. Thread got a little off topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he proved he can hit at AA when he was healthy and he still put up some decent numbers last year when he apparently wasn't 100 percent. I just think it's time to get past Bowie and get some games in at the AAA level after parts of three seasons at Bowie. He is on the 40-man roster, I think, so I think we need to know if he can help.

I guess I am also impatient. I absolutely hate rushing players to the majors, but I think we've seen enough of Hays at AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think he proved he can hit at AA when he was healthy and he still put up some decent numbers last year when he apparently wasn't 100 percent. I just think it's time to get past Bowie and get some games in at the AAA level after parts of three seasons at Bowie. He is on the 40-man roster, I think, so I think we need to know if he can help.

I guess I am also impatient. I absolutely hate rushing players to the majors, but I think we've seen enough of Hays at AA.

When he's putting up an .850 + OPS for another 3 or 4 weeks then I've seen enough.  Right now, he's been there for a week and he did struggle there last year.  Even when he came back from his original injury in 2018 and hit a little better, it was all slugging percentage driven.  

I wouldn't have a problem with him being promoted to Norfolk tomorrow.  It's a more favorable hitting environment there and he likely wouldn't fall on his face, but it's not necessary.  This front office has shown it wants hitters to prove they've mastered a level and sorry,  2017 doesn't count when the most recent data at that level does not show that he's mastered it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to see our players mastering a level also. He had something like 110 games at Bowie going into the year with 28 homers and 97 RBI. His average dropped last year, but he was still on pace for 25 homers and 80-plus RBI at AA even though he wasn't 100 percent. I think we know he can hit in AA good enough to try AAA pitching. I think he was one of the top 100 prospects in the game based partially on what he did at Bowie before being injured.

It seemed he had earned a move to Norfolk with a decent year last year and a good spring training. I believe some here thought he was ready for the majors already. Like you though, I wanted to see him have another good year in the minors - it's just AAA for me. It's almost like he has to work his way back through the system after being injured with no credit for previous work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You keep circling back to 2017 and yeah, he doesn't get credit for his 261 at bats there in 2017 when he was mediocre there over 273 at bats in 2018.  If he shows he's that 2017 player again, then promote him to Norfolk.  Make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think last year was good enough, when you consider the body of work and the spring.

Someone gave me a hard time for saying I like to see all-star level performance in one league before moving up to another league. I think your expectations are even higher. We know Hays can handle AA when he is healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I think last year was good enough, when you consider the body of work and the spring.

Someone gave me a hard time for saying I like to see all-star level performance in one league before moving up to another league. I think your expectations are even higher. We know Hays can handle AA when he is healthy.

Then let’s see him do it for a few weeks.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • As a kid of the 1970's, my hatred of the Yankees is well ingrained by now.  I happily vote WS where the Skanks lost pretty high.  Not higher than those our Orioles won, perhaps, but no Yankee win would occur before either of those two criteria are met.  And then there is every other team in the league to consider ahead of any NY win.  I don't think a Yankee win would even occur in my list... Sadly, it looks like Scott Van Pelt only had one measly vote.
    • It was 2nd division starter or utility guy, right? And with a 50 ceiling. That's a ML player who, best case, is a good starter on a good team or likely is still a guy with some value to a ML team. Especially if he can hold his own in the outfield. My take here is that: 1) Tony's understandably being conservative in general on this list because he hasn't seen a lot of these guys for a full year. 2) He's going by what he's heard. 3) There are guys lower on this list that are a bit farther away but who have higher potential. 4) Vavra, based on Tony and rankings from other sites with some credibility, has some potential to be a real contributor to the ML team within 2 years. I actually think Tony's grade is pretty accurate based on the feedback, but whether he should be ranked over Baumler, Mayo, Rom, Smith, Hall, Wells, Bradish, Stowers, Hernaiz, Haskin and others is up for debate and, ultimately, not really important. Heck, at least one site has him at 7. They must think he's decent. All those guys have risk and they all have had a big layoff from baseball, or at least from being seen. Vavra got put here because he's closer, he has produced on the field, and thus has somewhat lower risk, is my guess.
    • I think there’s very little journalism in sports, although there can be some very good sports writing. I think the very title indicates that this is just off-season fluff.
    • Yes, that place is good. But it used to be a barbecue place (maybe 20 or 25 years ago).   It was really good then.   I think it was called the Blind Pig. When I go to Tech for football games (about 6 weekends every fall since 1992, until this year), I cut across from 340 to 81 on Rt 7 and I stopped at the Blind Pig many a time, and got a pulled pork sandwich. Then The Blind Pig went out of business and was a tobacco store or something. Now it's tacos and I've stopped there once I think.
    • Don’t you remember, in 2012, Nate Mclouth hit a ball that grazed the foul pole for a Home run, but it was called foul. it would have changed the game, though it might not have changed the outcome. 
    • Folks tend to be overly generous with player comps.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...