Sign in to follow this  
Going Underground

What 5 albums have you listened to most in your life?

13 minutes ago, weams said:

Your age. And a couple real strong numbers. 

Get Back, Let it Be,  Across the Universe, Two of Us, and the Long and Winding Road.  Plus half filler.  Harrison's songs are pretty weak.   But better than his song on Sgt Pepper. Abbey Road is definitely a lot better but for some reason Let it Be is more appealing to me.  

2 hours ago, weams said:

Not the best. Not the ones I like the most. The ones I've spun the most.  I've been around a while. 

Exactly.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

Get Back, Let it Be,  Across the Universe, Two of Us, and the Long and Winding Road.  Plus half filler.  Harrison's songs are pretty weak.   But better than his song on Sgt Pepper. Abbey Road is definitely a lot better but for some reason Let it Be is more appealing to me.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly.

My tastes evolve but then I get back Jo Jo.  I come back around and revisit.  Plus, I listen to A LOT of music. And for Ten years I drove around all day.  With Spotify. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, weams said:

My tastes evolve but then I get back Jo Jo.  I come back around and revisit.  Plus, I listen to A LOT of music. And for Ten years I drove around all day.  With Spotify. 

My top five most played this year might have one album from the list 10 years ago.

Changes in the musical landscape have been tremendous for those wanting to broaden their horizons. 

It used to be work to find new things.

Top five from the last year.

Daughters- You won't get what you want.

Zeal & Ardor- Stranger Fruit

Battles- Gloss Drop

Beck- Sea Change

King Crimson- LTIA

• Upvote 1

When I received this bad boy for Christmas in the late 1950's I was overjoyed!  It brought me many hours of monaural pleasure, including Jack Jones, Rosie and the Originals and my beloved Beach Boys (among many other one hit wonders of the day). Somehow, a seed was planted to reach the left coast (which I have several times).  My brother had a dream to surf the Pacific, which he also accomplished.  Radio airwaves in NYC had both Murray the K and Cousin Brucie, our platter pushing poppas, spewing all of the latest 45 RPM recordings.  The Webcor had an attachment to play 45's and adjust to 78 RPM speed as well as 33 RPM!  @weams and @scOtt might enjoy this memory divulge.

VTG-EARLY-WEBCOR-RECORD-PLAYER-WORKING-C

Off to college in 1961 I went and a friend played Joan Baez' eponymous classic Vanguard album ad infinitum.  Her high-pitched voice reached a part of me I had not known and protest was fully in the air with "beatniks", beards and shaggy hair a new phenomenon.

51kk0hMaCzL._SX425_.jpg

Ironically, a few years later in 1964 with the Vietnam situation building and after the Cuban Missile Crisis and JFK's assassination, we wore out a copy of the Beach Boys', "All Summer Long".  We also wore out Brian Wilson's tune, "Surf City", sung by Jan and Dean.

t503735-b1002576656_s400.jpg

While the above two albums were not my favorite recordings, I did wear them out.  Our other vinyl monaural recordings at the time included Skip and Flip singing "Cherry Pie" and others but when Domingo Samudio from Houston TX recorded "Wooly Booly", I finally started dancing the night spots during the summer and slow dancing to  "Surfer Girl".  

At the end of 1968, I heard a recording that changed my life, and I still listen to it and the more recent "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" recordings over and over, especially at the gym.  It is probably my favorite recording of all time and most played.

91vgqa6uOSL._SX425_.jpg

Another favorite was released in 1969 when the Beatles released "Abbey Road" .  The harmonies and beauty of the lyrics astounded me.

919WO8q-nnL._SX450_.jpg

And last but not least comes my most recent (is a 1970 release recent?) overplayed recording.  Memories of that period, drives to Ocean City, MD and marriage breakups convolute the cranial passages but two songs from this album have been played so many times I cannot remember.  A song that reminds me of @scOtt, "Almost Cut My Hair" reverberates to this day as i march through life with a shaved head.  The line, "let my freak flag fly" is a metaphor for so much in my life.  And Neil Young's song of life in Canada, "Helpless" is as fresh today as it was when I first heard it.  His rendition with Joni Mitchell on "The Last Waltz" soundtrack is also a beauty.

Crosby,_Stills,_Nash_&_Young_-_Deja_Vu.j 

I apologize for the extended hijack, but that was an interesting trip down memory lane.  Thanks to the OP @Going Underground  for this thread!

PS shoutouts to The Clash, "Sandinista", Steely Dan's "Gaucho" and Joe Jackson, "Night and Day".  Dang, I'm ancient!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

AD/DC - Back in Black

Van Halen - Self-titled

Candlebox - Self-titled

Whitesnake - Self-titled

Now...if you asked me for my list over the last 10 years, it would be much, much different.

• Upvote 1

@bobmc, I love the Deja Vu! I even used to be able to play some of Carry On. I didn't have that album, I had the greatest hits album So Far, with the cover that Joni Mitchell painted.

crosby.stills.nashyoung-sofar(12).jpg

All that musical talent and a great artist too. Captures the essence of each face with like 5 brush strokes!

Abbey Road was great but my favs were Rubber Sould and especially Revolver. I could have included Revolver on my list. Also listened to a good bit of Yellow Submarine. Included some great jams like this...

I still don't know how to do that @bobmcmention thingy...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Not in any particular order.  I go on a 'binge' every now and again, where I might listen to a certain albumZ or group over and over.  These are the ones I'm particularly fond of.

R-1528465-1519413292-4998.jpeg.jpg

An excellent concept album about a soldier's life during the civil war.

81edWLmcrHL._SY355_.jpg

This one will send you way out there.  And no drugs are needed.

220px-Stay_the_Night_-_Ben_Orr.jpg

One of those I binge on.  I just keep it on repeat every once in a while.  

130405-The-Headboys.jpg

First heard them on Video Concert Hall from 1980 (?).  VCH would loop their videos and this song came on, I believe before live Baba O'Riley, so I couldn't watch one without the other.   This their 'hit' song.

And, of course,...

R-1065082-1301129991.jpeg.jpg

Moon's drumming and Entwistle's bass playing make the album.

• Upvote 2