Jump to content
JMU_Birdfan

2019 General Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

Orioles have three picks tonight, what is everyone hoping we come away with after tonight?

For me: 

One college stud pitcher

A high upside SS

Another high upside, position player ( could be catcher, infield or outfield)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rutschman at #1.  The rest, not sure...just BPA, all day, every day.  Haven't read up on Luke's rankings to have an informed opinion about who we should take with our 2nd and 3rd picks. 

Let's use this thread as a "game thread" for the draft.  Who's with me?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully after 1-1 the focus is on pitching. 

 

Also, totally unrelated but the Diamondbacks have 4 picks in the first round...16, 26, 33, 34. I can’t believe I’m saying it but I think I’d prefer their position in this draft to ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be interesting.  The Os have had SDs who moved in and out of the very early rounds with guys below slot (perhaps a reach as considered by the industry) in a pre-draft deal - so maybe not an "upside guy" but someone we likely more than the rest of the industry.  I think the Os might do this with one of our second/third picks.  The other second/third pick might be someone at slot (depending how the draft goes).  In this particular scenario, we spend our overslot $ mostly like on our fourth pick, our third rounder, after seeing who is left after tonight.

Different SDs go about this differently, obviously, but I think there is some flipping around with these early picks with some pre-draft underslot guys, guys at slot and then where to spend the overslot $.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oriole said:

Hopefully after 1-1 the focus is on pitching. 

 

Also, totally unrelated but the Diamondbacks have 4 picks in the first round...16, 26, 33, 34. I can’t believe I’m saying it but I think I’d prefer their position in this draft to ours.

Sure... I think they have like 10% of the first 75 picks. They also have $3M or so more than the O's to work with. They could move bonuses around to next some high upside talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, oriole said:

Hopefully after 1-1 the focus is on pitching. 

 

Also, totally unrelated but the Diamondbacks have 4 picks in the first round...16, 26, 33, 34. I can’t believe I’m saying it but I think I’d prefer their position in this draft to ours.

 

17 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Sure... I think they have like 10% of the first 75 picks. They also have $3M or so more than the O's to work with. They could move bonuses around to next some high upside talent. 

Per Fangraphs, our picks project to have more value than the DBacks’ picks.   1-1 is an extremely valuable commodity.    However, the DBacks probably have less risk of coming up semi-empty than we do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

 

Per Fangraphs, our picks project to have more value than the DBacks’ picks.   1-1 is an extremely valuable commodity.    However, the DBacks probably have less risk of coming up semi-empty than we do.  

One thing I have wanted to mention in the draft threads re: us going underslot to go overslot later... I feel like this is the perfect time for us to draft the clear #1 guy.  Our system seems actually pretty healthy from a depth/quantity perspective (as the rankings from the offseason made clear).  Where it could use help is at the top end.  For this reason (and AR appearing to be an absolute stud) I would rather have value concentrated in 1-1 then four back half picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Rutschman at 1-1 but wouldn’t mind seeing a SS at 2-1.   Our infield depth is pretty poor in the minors IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rutschman at #1.  The rest, not sure...just BPA, all day, every day.  Haven't read up on Luke's rankings to have an informed opinion about who we should take with our 2nd and 3rd picks. 

Let's use this thread as a "game thread" for the draft.  Who's with me?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-draft-order-slot-values-team-bonus-pool-amounts/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cy Bundy said:

Witt or Rutschman ... I’ll have to update my OH wishlist for the following picks as they get nearer... a trade up for Priester is the ultimate hope for all O’s fans. 

 

Song & Nelson are two arms I’d like to see in the system. 

tenor.gif?itemid=13170706

Can Song even go pro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

This will be interesting.  The Os have had SDs who moved in and out of the very early rounds with guys below slot (perhaps a reach as considered by the industry) in a pre-draft deal - so maybe not an "upside guy" but someone we likely more than the rest of the industry.  I think the Os might do this with one of our second/third picks.  The other second/third pick might be someone at slot (depending how the draft goes).  In this particular scenario, we spend our overslot $ mostly like on our fourth pick, our third rounder, after seeing who is left after tonight.

Different SDs go about this differently, obviously, but I think there is some flipping around with these early picks with some pre-draft underslot guys, guys at slot and then where to spend the overslot $.

I am very interested in how Elias works as a scouting director this season.  It will be his last in the dual roles. I'm interested in watching it unfold. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weams said:

Can Song even go pro?

He can go pro but he has to report to the Navy in November so he'll be on some sort of unable to report list for a minimum of 2 years, when he can petition to transfer to the Naval Reserve. No one really knows if he can get a waiver or deferral from having to report in November. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/sports/mlb-draft-navy-noah-song.html

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TGO said:

He can go pro but he has to report to the Navy in November so he'll be on some sort of unable to report list for a minimum of 2 years, when he can petition to transfer to the Naval Reserve. No one really knows if he can get a waiver or deferral from having to report in November. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/sports/mlb-draft-navy-noah-song.html

How can you draft that then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, weams said:

How can you draft that then?

I don't think you can at 2-1. I don't know at what round I'd be willing to take that risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TGO said:

I don't think you can at 2-1. I don't know at what round I'd be willing to take that risk.

I just can't see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • I think that as always, there are some fans that cross the line.  Hate to see that, because it is totally unnecessary.  At the end of the day, Zack Greinke has overcome a lot to have an excellent career and will very likely go to the Hall of Fame.  I am not sure what those taunting fans will accomplish in their lives, but I am willing to bet it will be much less. 
    • o   Astros Players say that Yankees Fans Crossed a Line with Zack Greinke Heckling (By Deesha Thosar) https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-zack-greinke-roberto-osuna-fans-hecking-houston-astros-alcs-game-4-20191018-kv6qb6s32ngzdmg6tyubdhsd34-story.html   o
    • Encarnacion definitely looks the part, you see him on a good day and I wouldn't blame anyone thinking he's a top 10 prospect in the system. There are a bunch of above average tools and good bat speed. It's the skills part of baseball that is holding him back. His footwork can get wonky at 3B and is the cause of most of his errors, but it is improved and I think he'll be an average glove there eventually. The big issue is a poor approach and terrible pitch recognition. He's a total guess hitter, he can hit spin if he's sitting on it, but it's a total guess style, he doesn't adjust or waste pitches and sometimes he gets caught in between which is even worse. I'm concerned that those are things that don't usually improve out of nowhere. But the ceiling is still average to above average regular, but it's a really low probability outcome and the floor is not making it out of AA.  Carmona looked good at 2B the few games I watched and he still has quick hands and good bat speed, but the swing mechanics are still a mess. He's rarely loaded and ready to attack on time which leads to weak contact and rolling over on pitches frequently. I'm not sure why he played so sparingly, so it's possible an injury hindered his performance. The ceiling isn't quite as high as Encarnacion, but his issues are more fixable IMO.  These guys have pretty serious flaws and neither fits the definition of hitterish, so they'll be a good test of the Orioles new player development machine, it'd be a good sign if they could get one of these two straightened out. 
    • Akin, Hays, and Harvey on OD roster.  Mountcastle after the service clock issues.  Tate as an up/down guy till he pitches well enough to stick. I think that’s it in terms of “prospects”.  Diaz might get a Sept callup but most likely the Mountcastle treatment.  If Akin didn’t get a call up last year then I don’t see any of the SP prospects getting called up either.   No point to rush to start service clocks in a 100 loss season.  
    • @Luke-OH or anyone else, what’s your take on these two guys, 3B Encarnacion(21) .648 OPS in Delmarva https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=encarn000jea SS Jean Carmona(19) .561 OPS in Aberdeen in only 25 games.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=carmon000jea  
    • Zero. Waiver claims if we do. We’re staring at, Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin for next year. With Brooks and Ynoa as depth in the MLB bullpen. We’ll likely see a 14 man pitching staff(if allowed). Also keep in mind that players must be in the minors for 15 days and not 10 once they get optioned. Plus position players can only pitch if their team is losing or winning by 6+ runs.  With all that being said, I think we’re going to see us be forced to carry arms in the pen that can go multiple IP. Basically SP. Especially considering we do not want to touch the prospects in AAA next year at all. See Akin this year.  It would be a little crazy for us to not start the year with Ynoa, Brooks, and two others like them in the bullpen. 
    • The big takeaway for me from this thread is that our window to realistically compete doesn’t start till 2023. We have to pay Davis in 20-22. Cobb in 20-21.  We might give it hell in 2022 with the guys in AA-AAA now, plus AR, Hall, and Rodriguez, but we’re In no position to even sign a FA until then.  I don’t know what type of deals Elias will get offered, but the smart things to do would be to Mancini, Bundy, and Givens. Villar is a given. Then get top draft picks from losing in 20-22.  After the 2022 draft we should be taking the field with a cheap, talented roster, with a farm system ready to sustain a run. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...