Jump to content
JMU_Birdfan

2019 General Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

They took Fitterer. That makes sense.

Marlins went college Seniors all the way through round 10, so Fitterer will be getting paid.

Like the Mets, the Marlins essentially have a 3-man draft (at least through the first ten rounds) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

List of the 4-year college players remaining among MLB Pipeline's top 200 players:

134. Carter Bins, Catcher, Fresno State

163. Mason Feole, LHP, UConn

177. Edouard Julien, 2B, Auburn

187. Thomas Rowan, C, UCSB 

193. Nick Morreale, RHP, Georgetown

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

List of the 4-year college players remaining among MLB Pipeline's top 200 players:

134. Carter Bins, Catcher, Fresno State

163. Mason Feole, LHP, UConn

177. Edouard Julien, 2B, Auburn

187. Thomas Rowan, C, UCSB 

193. Nick Morreale, RHP, Georgetown

 

Julien will likely go back to school. Soph

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Julien will likely go back to school. Soph

Ah. MLB.com mistakenly lists him as a Junior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

List of the 4-year college players remaining among MLB Pipeline's top 200 players:

134. Carter Bins, Catcher, Fresno State

163. Mason Feole, LHP, UConn

177. Edouard Julien, 2B, Auburn

187. Thomas Rowan, C, UCSB 

193. Nick Morreale, RHP, Georgetown

 

Among 4-year college players, Fangraphs lists the following players as the top remaining:

84. Bins

88. Julien (Sophomore)

104. Matt Dyer, C, Arizona

Past 138 overall ranking, ranking by type:

College Pitcher 2. Feole

College Pitcher 12. Adam Lukas, Evansville

College Pitcher 16. Kenyon Yovan, Oregon

College Pitcher 19. Adam Laskey, Duke

College Pitcher 33. Ryan Anderson, Nevada

College Pitcher 35. Andrew Magno, Ohio State

College Pitcher 36. Zach King, Vanderbilt

College Pitcher 42. Nick Mikolajchak, Sam Houston State

College Hitter 8. Andrew Daschbach, RF, Stanford

College Hitter 19. Myles Christian, 2B, Middle Tennessee State

College Hitter 21. Quentin Salma, 1B, Cal

College Hitter 23. Ike Freeman, 2B, UNC

College Hitter 24. Chistian Koss, SS, UC Iriving

 

Fangraphs doesn't list class year, so Luke would have to point out which of these players are sophomores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Among 4-year college players, Fangraphs lists the following players as the top remaining:

84. Bins

88. Julien (Sophomore)

104. Matt Dyer, C, Arizona

Past 138 overall ranking, ranking by type:

College Pitcher 2. Feole

College Pitcher 12. Adam Lukas, Evansville

College Pitcher 16. Kenyon Yovan, Oregon

College Pitcher 19. Adam Laskey, Duke

College Pitcher 33. Ryan Anderson, Nevada

College Pitcher 35. Andrew Magno, Ohio State

College Pitcher 36. Zach King, Vanderbilt

College Pitcher 42. Nick Mikolajchak, Sam Houston State

College Hitter 8. Andrew Daschbach, RF, Stanford

College Hitter 19. Myles Christian, 2B, Middle Tennessee State

College Hitter 21. Quentin Salma, 1B, Cal

College Hitter 23. Ike Freeman, 2B, UNC

College Hitter 24. Chistian Koss, SS, UC Iriving

Fangraphs doesn't list class year, so Luke would have to point out which of these players are sophomores.

I don't think any are Sophomores, although Kenyon Yovan will likely be granted a medical redshirt and be a Junior again next year. I'd be surprised if he signs this late. He was a 30th-50th overall talent heading into the season IMO. Missed the whole season with bloot clots and then an infection in his wrist. 

I'd love to grab Lukas, easy upper 90s heat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be interested to read the informed assessments of Elias' draft strategy over the next few days. Shepherd said on twitter it's a quantitative heavy draft. Tony made another similar comment I think in one of these threads. The other observation is how college heavy the draft is. That typically means more data is available. 

The hope is always that we can identify talent that isn't apparent in the public statistics alone, cultivate it and help a few of these guys turn into great players. I've never had actual hope that the Orioles can do that in the past. I do now. 

If only we could jump forward 12-24 months to see how this is working out. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'll be interested to read the informed assessments of Elias' draft strategy over the next few days. Shepherd said on twitter it's a quantitative heavy draft. Tony made another similar comment I think in one of these threads. The other observation is how college heavy the draft is. That typically means more data is available. 

The hope is always that we can identify talent that isn't apparent in the public statistics alone, cultivate it and help a few of these guys turn into great players. I've never had actual hope that the Orioles can do that in the past. I do now. 

If only we could jump forward 12-24 months to see how this is working out. :)

Our drafting really hasn't been the problem.  It's that drafting is the only way we acquire talent.  Not participating in the international market has really hurt us.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our drafting really hasn't been the problem.  It's that drafting is the only way we acquire talent.  Not participating in the international market has really hurt us.  

Or developing the guys we get consistently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Or developing the guys we get consistently.

I'd say that has been less of a problem. Trading them before age 27 maybe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Sad as it is to say, Bud was way better.
    • Yeah, It was and we got unlucky not to win a WS with it.   Thinking back Bonilla (mostly) and his agent were masterful in ensuring he’d have an income most of the rest of his life. $1 million until 2035 by the Mets was masterful. Hard to believe the Mets would agree to it.    Getting paid $34 million and for 34 years after his retirement. I know deferred money is more common now. But, Bobby was ahead of the curve. Also, $1 million was more in 2001 than it is in today’s game. The other $500,000 partially from us until 2023 was also an extra 24 years of income.
    • And you know this how? I ask because I’m a restaurant guy that was in the process of buying/opening a restaurant in Westminster when the pandemic hit in March. My initial thought was on crabs (AUCE) and full service options for breakfast through dinner.    I spoke to several distributors and most of the crabs and crabmeat is from Louisiana and Texas. Here Maryland/Virginia product is mixed in during the season. In bulk, the Louisiana stuff is very affordable even for Jumbo Lump.    FYI, G&M and Timbuktu were owned by the same family for a considerable amount of years. I can’t say that I know if they still are but any change would’ve been in the last couple of years. Speaking of foreign crab meat, It’s Phillips that uses crab meat from a cove they created in Indonesia. They transported Blue Crab from here to there and it’s essentially farm raised, fed fish local to that area, and tastes off IMO. @CarrRun49 You can almost always get Backfin at Giant for around $12. It’s from South America, Peru as I recall. Which is much better than making it out of canned Salmon. The thought of that makes me want to 🤮  I think I’d rather not have them
    • Thank you for the video. I generally “scout” high school players and really hadn’t watched that much of him but he really has a sweet swing. His outfield play isn’t amazing but much better than we have marched out their since Markakis wasn’t resigned. Man that is a great swing!  I know I have said this before, but I was told 15-20 years ago that when you draft, you don’t want the 16 year old with a full beard because he is already peaking maturely but a 20 year old that can’t grow a beard has more to grow into. Not every gm goes with that, but this kid looks like a kid and has room to grow. Also with that logic, they haven’t peaked performance wise.  Physically I can see him turning into a Manny Ramirez body type(let’s hope he has that kind of career without whatever). Also why I like Rutschman, baby face with room to mature into a projectable body type. He reminds me of a Buster Posey at the same age.  Great job on this pick. I was never sold on Martin or Torkleson  (If any Os exects want to employ me, reach out and send me to Cuba!)😉
    • Every time I hear Crab cakes I think about Koco's Pub. Really miss those.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...