weams

2019 4th round pick (108): Joseph Ortiz - SS - (JR) New Mexico State

Just now, LookinUp said:

I have to believe that Elias et al believe they can make tweaks to guys approaches to make them more productive hitters. Not just with this kid. With all of them. If he can take guys with defensive value and get offensive value out of them, he has a major leaguer. 

This is a good way of looking at it. All these guys look to be solid defenders/athletes. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Draft the position players and...um, hope for the arms.  

Reminds me of that Redskin draft when they ended up with like a half dozen tight ends because they kept ending up at the top of their board.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I have to believe that Elias et al believe they can make tweaks to guys approaches to make them more productive hitters. Not just with this kid. With all of them. If he can take guys with defensive value and get offensive value out of them, he has a major leaguer. 

They haven’t done much with any of the position players they have inherited in the minors.  Who is really over performing?

Just now, MurphDogg said:

If you look at the Astros roster, few of the impact pitchers and no starters were drafted or signed as amateur free agents, all acquired via trade, waivers or free agents.

Different approach to "Grow the arms, buy the bats".

Yep! 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They haven’t done much with any of the position players they have inherited in the minors.  Who is really over performing?

It takes time. 

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

True defensive shortstop, the question is whether the bat plays, per Callis and company. Don't trust those numbers in NMSU, some wild elevation out there.

Still, that's a hell of a slash line for a 4th rounder.

This guy played in the Ripken League as an 18 year old.  That's kinda cool.

Just now, Frobby said:

Here’s a BA writeup, similar to what MLB.com said.    (See no. 2 player in New Mexico.)    BA had him ranked 258.    Looks like another underslot guy.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-new-mexico-2019-mlb-draft-prospects/%3famphtml

I am not buying the undershot theory.  The problem with it is that you can’t guarantee that the guy they want won’t be drafted before they get their chance

The pitching in this draft is horrible. Like historically awful. They will load up next year when it's supposed to be much, much better.

7 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Quantum leap from 18 to 19 

giphy.gif

Batting Statistics

Year Team POS AVG OBP SLG OPS GP AB R H 2B 3b HR RBI HP BB SO SB CS
2017     .306 .355 .387 .742 55 222 48 68 10 4 0 35 3 17 24 10 4
2018     .289 .368 .426 .794 60 235 58 68 3 4 7 54 6 24 25 13 2
2019 NMSU INF .422 .474 .697 1.171 55 251 85 106 25 10 8 84 9 21 26 12 4

That's certainly noteworthy.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Likely have 15-25 guys they’re interested in. 

I would doubt it could be that many.  There is likely too much delta between what they could have drafted and did for there to be that many

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The pitching in this draft is horrible. Like historically awful. They will load up next year when it's supposed to be much, much better.

We have a ton of young pitching prospects as well.  We still have guys that haven't pitched yet this year bc they are waiting for Rookie ball and Short A to start.  With Hall, Gray-Rod, Rom, etc, we are looking good on youth pitching.  I hope we go big with position players this year.  Like only 10 drafted pitchers. 30+ position

WAC POY - that should count for something.  Everything indicates he's a true workhorse that loves the game.  Gotta wonder - once he adds 15 lbs of muscle, are people going to still say his power rating is just 35?  Sure doesn't strike out much.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

WAC POY - that should count for something.  Everything indicates he's a true workhorse that loves the game.  Gotta wonder - once he adds 15 lbs of muscle, are people going to still say his power rating is just 35?  Sure doesn't strike out much.  

Lots of XBHs as well.  The assumption used to be that those doubles and triples could turn into HRs with muscle added.  It all depends on how the Las Cruces elevation helped him, I suppose.