weams

2019 4th round pick (108): Joseph Ortiz - SS - (JR) New Mexico State

Just now, LookinUp said:

I have to believe that Elias et al believe they can make tweaks to guys approaches to make them more productive hitters. Not just with this kid. With all of them. If he can take guys with defensive value and get offensive value out of them, he has a major leaguer. 

This is a good way of looking at it. All these guys look to be solid defenders/athletes. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Draft the position players and...um, hope for the arms.  

Reminds me of that Redskin draft when they ended up with like a half dozen tight ends because they kept ending up at the top of their board.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I have to believe that Elias et al believe they can make tweaks to guys approaches to make them more productive hitters. Not just with this kid. With all of them. If he can take guys with defensive value and get offensive value out of them, he has a major leaguer. 

They haven’t done much with any of the position players they have inherited in the minors.  Who is really over performing?

Just now, MurphDogg said:

If you look at the Astros roster, few of the impact pitchers and no starters were drafted or signed as amateur free agents, all acquired via trade, waivers or free agents.

Different approach to "Grow the arms, buy the bats".

Yep! 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They haven’t done much with any of the position players they have inherited in the minors.  Who is really over performing?

It takes time. 

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

True defensive shortstop, the question is whether the bat plays, per Callis and company. Don't trust those numbers in NMSU, some wild elevation out there.

Still, that's a hell of a slash line for a 4th rounder.

This guy played in the Ripken League as an 18 year old.  That's kinda cool.

Just now, Frobby said:

Here’s a BA writeup, similar to what MLB.com said.    (See no. 2 player in New Mexico.)    BA had him ranked 258.    Looks like another underslot guy.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-new-mexico-2019-mlb-draft-prospects/%3famphtml

I am not buying the undershot theory.  The problem with it is that you can’t guarantee that the guy they want won’t be drafted before they get their chance

The pitching in this draft is horrible. Like historically awful. They will load up next year when it's supposed to be much, much better.

7 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Quantum leap from 18 to 19 

giphy.gif

Batting Statistics

Year Team POS AVG OBP SLG OPS GP AB R H 2B 3b HR RBI HP BB SO SB CS
2017     .306 .355 .387 .742 55 222 48 68 10 4 0 35 3 17 24 10 4
2018     .289 .368 .426 .794 60 235 58 68 3 4 7 54 6 24 25 13 2
2019 NMSU INF .422 .474 .697 1.171 55 251 85 106 25 10 8 84 9 21 26 12 4

That's certainly noteworthy.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Likely have 15-25 guys they’re interested in. 

I would doubt it could be that many.  There is likely too much delta between what they could have drafted and did for there to be that many

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The pitching in this draft is horrible. Like historically awful. They will load up next year when it's supposed to be much, much better.

We have a ton of young pitching prospects as well.  We still have guys that haven't pitched yet this year bc they are waiting for Rookie ball and Short A to start.  With Hall, Gray-Rod, Rom, etc, we are looking good on youth pitching.  I hope we go big with position players this year.  Like only 10 drafted pitchers. 30+ position

WAC POY - that should count for something.  Everything indicates he's a true workhorse that loves the game.  Gotta wonder - once he adds 15 lbs of muscle, are people going to still say his power rating is just 35?  Sure doesn't strike out much.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

WAC POY - that should count for something.  Everything indicates he's a true workhorse that loves the game.  Gotta wonder - once he adds 15 lbs of muscle, are people going to still say his power rating is just 35?  Sure doesn't strike out much.  

Lots of XBHs as well.  The assumption used to be that those doubles and triples could turn into HRs with muscle added.  It all depends on how the Las Cruces elevation helped him, I suppose.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I think you have failed to provide me an example of such a strategy working out for the player. I'm not sure how players not signing doesn't help my cause more than yours.  You are the one suggesting that players can change their demands and that teams will agree to pay them the new amount.
    • Do you honestly believe that no drafted player has ever increased their demands after being selected? I think your pretty naive if you believe that. Quite frankly there have been a number of players that where drafted and never signed. So obviously MLB teams wanted to take lesser money. The slotting system in baseball in the Rule 6 draft is new and and therefore underslot tactics are as well. In other sports, Players can force a team to deal them after being selected because they couldn’t agree or didn’t want to play for that team.   
    • Only Thorne comes as a mild surprise but after hearing about his contract dispute with the team last year (something I did not remember hearing about last year), it really doesn't come as a surprise. I'm disappointed that they could find a role for Olson who I thought was pretty solid at times on the radio.  Saying that, the writing was on the wall after the changes announced before last year. With all the new blood being added, and the reduced roles for Bordick, Dempsey, Davis, Hunter and Johnson, it really should not be a surprise that they were being transitioned out. A few thoughts on the departed and the people staying on: As others had noted, Bordick had become insufferable to listen to during broadcasts, particularly when he was teamed up with Hunter because it was homerfest. His catch phrases and baseballisms "steaks for RBIs" did not become endearing and made it hard to listen to him. The thing is, his baseball knowledge, which is very high, shown through as the analyst on the post game show where he was able to focus on the analysis and not have to fill time by describing the exact action we just saw (Personal pet peeve of mine because the analyst should be adding analysis to what we just saw, not describe what we are seeing). I personally enjoyed Thorne and it's sad to see him go. His pairing with Jim Palmer was a great telecast, even if he would annoy me at times by calling the wrong pitch types (something he was supposedly talked to about but kept doing). I'll miss Gary's voice, his intelligence, and his humor.  As for the others, sometimes it's time to move on. Yes, they've been around a long time, but with the Orioles under Elias doing things in different ways here, perhaps some fresh voices are needed.  As for the current crew, I'm interested in hearing about their roles for next year. I felt most of the new crew last year were pretty solid. I'm a big fan of Kevin Brown on TV, but his play by play on the radio needs some work and yes, he needs to work on his enthusiasm at times. Not Hunter level of course, but getting a Thorne level for excitement would be good. Saying that, Brown is really up on his statcast information and does a good job of adding those in at times and he has a great announcer voice. Garceau got better as the year went on and became pretty solid. He's a 1st class guy who knows the history of the Orioles and teaming him with McDonald and Palmer should be good.  Arnold was the big "surprise" for me as he was once teamed with Brown a few times on the radio and I enjoyed that duo. Hollander was pretty good in his couple of appearances and Newman really knows her baseball and is up on analytics, but I find her play by play to be uninspiring and hard to follow at times on the radio. Announcers are one of those things that fans generally disagree on because everyone has their own tastes. Some like the homerisms and some like the more measured approach, but in the end, I think the Orioles broadcasts are heading in the right direction.  Hopefully whenever Caleb Joseph retires they can bring him on as an analyst. He would probably be amazing in that role. 
    • Didn't sign Isn't about contract demands at all Didn't sign Player backed down Maybe the player won?  Hard to say because of the circumstances.  The player didn't change demands after being drafted that I can tell which is what you are advocating. Didn't sign Didn't sign Didn't sign Didn't sign Didn't sign None of the 10 involved a player changing his demand after being drafted and the team agreeing to the higher number. If anything this list shows that teams will let a player walk.
    • @ArtVanDelay what is so confusing? Id negotiate the best deal for my son ...not the Orioles 
    • Fair enough, but I think we can agree that it was a small sample size.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now