weams

2019 4th round pick (108): Joseph Ortiz - SS - (JR) New Mexico State

Just now, Mizerooskie said:

Lots of XBHs as well.  The assumption used to be that those doubles and triples could turn into HRs with muscle added.  It all depends on how the Las Cruces elevation helped him, I suppose.

He is not a big guy, so I am sure the elevation helped. 

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

We have a ton of young pitching prospects as well.  We still have guys that haven't pitched yet this year bc they are waiting for Rookie ball and Short A to start.  With Hall, Gray-Rod, Rom, etc, we are looking good on youth pitching.  I hope we go big with position players this year.  Like only 10 drafted pitchers. 30+ position

Yeah i thing it is combination of not having much in the positional prospect level in the lower minors and pretty solid in pitching.  Then add in this was a very weak pitching prospect draft and some of the high school guys may be trying to cash in on desperate teams and asking for big numbers not worth the value.  It is still supply and demand.

I actually like loading up on position players. It's safe. You can trade them for pitching later if you want. You don't have to worry about their arms falling off immediately after drafting them. Plus the upper levels of the Orioles' minors are about to see all the good OF talent get promoted over the next year or so. 

24 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I am not buying the undershot theory.  The problem with it is that you can’t guarantee that the guy they want won’t be drafted before they get their chance

I think Gunnar is going to be very expensive. They're paying for him by going under slot. 

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

I believe Elias has been quoted as saying he likes position players. 

Every other team in the AL has been quoted as saying they like Orioles pitching.  Not quite sure I see the strategy just yet.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I think Gunnar is going to be very expensive. They're paying for him by going under slot. 

None of the other picks are really all that "Underslot" atleast not in a 4th year senior type of way. 

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Every other team in the AL has been quoted as saying they like Orioles pitching.  Not quite sure I see the strategy just yet.

It's low risk, for one. Also the pitching in this draft is not good. Most likely, though, these are just the guys that were at the top of their list when the pick rolled around.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Well...it's the worst pitching in the league...for what..3 years running...of course they like it!

So I guess the Orioles new strategy is draft the bats and buy the pitchers....except ownership never lets them execute the second part of the strategy.

2 minutes ago, HarCoCy said:

Well...it's the worst pitching in the league...for what..3 years running...of course they like it!

That's pretty much my point.   Given that you would think that at least one of the first five picks would be a pitcher.

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

None of the other picks are really all that "Underslot" atleast not in a 4th year senior type of way. 

I think there are multiple ways to skin that cat. I'm just guessing, but I think Elias' first big over slot was Gunnar Henderson. He'll get savings from Rutschman, but probably not enough to pay Gunnar. So, two of Elias's options are

1. To go all or nothing. Here he'd go after an expensive HS arm (e.g., another expensive guy) or a pure senior sign guy (e.g., very cheap). I haven't looked, but I'm guessing this is what the Rays did.

2. Try to pick away at what you need. Here, you can go for small savings at a time by picking a 4th round type in the 3rd, a 5th round type in the 4th, etc. I get the general sense that this is what Elias prefers. My guess is he's spreading out risk more this way than an all or nothing path where several of your picks really aren't prospects at all.

Just my guess. I really have no idea.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

That's pretty much my point.   Given that you would think that at least one of the first five picks would be a pitcher.

Oh, I TOTALLY agree with you there!

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Last year 8 of our top 10 picks were pitchers.   This is just balancing the ledger a little, though I don’t think Elias is drafting with that purpose in mind.   

Just now, Going Underground said:

I don't think they are too enamored with Martin . Hitting wise that is.

I don’t see how they could be.   He’s been terrible.   

• Upvote 1