Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

How many of you watched the game last night?

I was glancing at the phone. Thats pretty much all I do now, sad to say.  For me, thats very telling. I finally DID turn it on when we it looked like we could blow the game ...We are a new kind of awful....but last night was really a head shaker. Giving up 6 runs in the ninth, and  barley hold on to win,because a wild pitch bounced off the backstop and Severino made a great throw to get the runner at first. It was a very pathetic, near historically bad performance in the ninth.I get the "we are re-building" excuse, but if this isn't the very worst Oriole team ever....its in the "playoffs" of all time awful...And thats the only Oriole playoffs we will be talking about for years...Wow    .Do they stink.

• Upvote 1

I actually did get to watch most of last night's game, for the first time in a while due to my kids' schedule.  The part I saw was plenty enjoyable, I think they were up 9-3 or something when I went to bed.

Yes Roy, they're a terrible team.  We all knew they would be.  They may be slightly better next season, but probably not by much.  Though you did conveniently leave off that they scored 12 runs last night and, you know, won.

• Upvote 3

The team actually has some decent hitting.  If they could have signed a starting pitcher and few bullpen arms and a shortstop they would be competitive.  Davis and Martin don't belong in the major leagues.  

Freddy Galvis I thought they should have signed. He went for 1 year $4 million.  If you replace Martin's -1.0 WAR with Galvis 0.4 you have a game and a half of wins right there.  

The team should have signed a bunch of guys to minor league contracts with opt outs.  Guys like Gio González and Francisco Liriano were signed to minor league deals and are now productive. 

The total lack of any effort by Elias this off-season is a dereliction of duty.  And is unforgivable. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I actually did get to watch most of last night's game, for the first time in a while due to my kids' schedule.  The part I saw was plenty enjoyable, I think they were up 9-3 or something when I went to bed.

Yes Roy, they're a terrible team.  We all knew they would be.  They may be slightly better next season, but probably not by much.  Though you did conveniently leave off that they scored 12 runs last night and, you know, won.

Severino also set a record and hit 3 HRs in a single game, first time an Oriole catcher has done that.

I was surprised with Roch wrote that.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

The team actually has some decent hitting.  If they could have signed a starting pitcher and few bullpen arms and a shortstop they would be competitive.  Davis and Martin don't belong in the major leagues.  

Freddy Galvis I thought they should have signed. He went for 1 year $4 million.  If you replace Martin's -1.0 WAR with Galvis 0.4 you have a game and a half of wins right there.  

The team should have signed a bunch of guys to minor league contracts with opt outs.  Guys like Gio González and Francisco Liriano were signed to minor league deals and are now productive. 

The total lack of any effort by Elias this off-season is a dereliction of duty.  And is unforgivable. 

Were you making this claim before the season?

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Honestly, who cares?  I don't mean that disrespectfully, truly.

atomic wanted us to sign a bunch of mediocre veterans to try to win 70 games instead of 50.  It's a silly argument but he's welcome to it.  

My question was around the specific player.  It's easy to pick one player who has performed relatively well using hindsight, with a basket full of comparable-at-the-time signings that are likely flat or negative from a WAR perspective at this point.

But you're right, would a 1.4 win positive swing do anything for this team?  More than likely no.

I watched last night and was pleased that the Orioles scored more runs than the other team and won the game.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't say it's the worst team ever. More like a mediocre but interesting team which suffers mainly from some deplorable bullpen performances. In contrast, we're spoiled by a few recent years of a teasingly mediocre team of Duquette's making that overachieved due largely to a stellar bullpen. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I watched it wire to wire. Pretty much a microcosm of the season:  better-than-expected offense, so-so starting pitching, and an ATROCIOUS, GOD-AWFUL bullpen.

The only difference is that we actually won.

48 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I was glancing at the phone. Thats pretty much all I do now, sad to say.  For me, thats very telling. I finally DID turn it on when we it looked like we could blow the game ...We are a new kind of awful....but last night was really a head shaker. Giving up 6 runs in the ninth, and  barley hold on to win,because a wild pitch bounced off the backstop and Severino made a great throw to get the runner at first. It was a very pathetic, near historically bad performance in the ninth.I get the "we are re-building" excuse, but if this isn't the very worst Oriole team ever....its in the "playoffs" of all time awful...And thats the only Oriole playoffs we will be talking about for years...Wow    .Do they stink.

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I watched last night and was pleased that the Orioles scored more runs than the other team and won the game.

Yea, id does seem like sort of an odd game/result to use as the catalyst for a "worst Oriole team ever" post.

1 minute ago, now said:

I wouldn't say it's the worst team ever. More like a mediocre but interesting team which suffers mainly from some deplorable bullpen performances. In contrast, we're spoiled by a few recent years of a teasingly mediocre team of Duquette's making that overachieved due largely to a stellar bullpen. 

5 years of being the best in the AL, with 2 playoff visits, is way short of mediocre.

Come on now. geeze.