Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

How many of you watched the game last night?

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

It means something to win 70 games over 47 games. If you can't see that I am not sure what I can do for you.

Atomic, what does it mean? I HATE losing and I HATE losing stupid, each of which happens constantly. I hated Dan because he did stupid moves and offered condescending platitudes. THAT was losing stupid, believe me.

what does winning 70 games mean?

Mike is making logical moves and taking the first steps in fixing a decades long problem. 70 wins will HURT that process because the things you have to do to get those 70 wins will be regressive. 

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

No agony for me.  I usually don't watch the games.  

If you don’t watch the games, then how are you a fan? If you don’t care enough to watch the games, there’s no purpose to complaining because you aren’t even following team progress.

Roy, I'm pretty sure I didn't just imagine that last season was historically... horrid.  So that's why we got the 1st pick in the draft. 

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

Back and forth between the O's and softball champ.  Fun night.  Well, except for Blier.

It was a really fun game to watch! 

It's all about mindset. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

If you don’t watch the games, then how are you a fan? If you don’t care enough to watch the games, there’s no purpose to complaining because you aren’t even following team progress.

I attend some games in person. I probably attend more games than most of the posters  on here.  

35 minutes ago, Philip said:

Atomic, what does it mean? I HATE losing and I HATE losing stupid, each of which happens constantly. I hated Dan because he did stupid moves and offered condescending platitudes. THAT was losing stupid, believe me.

what does winning 70 games mean?

Mike is making logical moves and taking the first steps in fixing a decades long problem. 70 wins will HURT that process because the things you have to do to get those 70 wins will be regressive

What does anything mean then? What does wining the World Series mean?  If you don't think winning more games is important than why do you care about what they will do in the future. 

6 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Back and forth between the O's and softball champ.  Fun night.  Well, except for Blier.

Where else can one play a sport, that, even though they get dirty and sweaty, a girl can still wear makeup?

download-2-1.jpeg?resize=275,183&ssl=1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-25ZwPcg2LiKGVQSTI61

46f10fd710068ab5fb31c75ab6235529.jpg

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

What made you think the O’s are tanking this season? 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

They aren’t? I think it’s very obvious that winning games is not their priority. That saddens me, although I do understand it, but I think that is the very definition of tanking. If we run into a win once or twice a week, that’s great, But the only goal of the team this year is maximizing current assets and turning them into future assets.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Well of course they are.  They're not doing everything in their power to maximize wins this year.  That's tanking, which is different from throwing games.  The players are trying hard.  They're just not good.

While I definitely agree that this Orioles team is tanking in the sense that the FO certainly isn't going out of its way to do anything that will increase the 2019 win total outside of signing and playing potential diamond-in-the-rough type guys, I also think the term "tanking" has expanded a bit too far in its use.  A lot of the chattering class now calls every team that's simply bad a "tanking team."  Some teams just aren't very good.

8 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Where else can one play a sport, that, even though they get dirty and sweaty, a girl can still wear makeup?

maxresdefault.jpg

Sweaty and wearing makeup, even a bit dirty when you get into the bunkers. :)

1 hour ago, atomic said:

They didn't expect teams to all tank. I am sure rules will be changed with the next collective bargaining agreement.  Doing something dishonest and immoral even if it is technically breaking any rules is still dishonest and immoral.  

I won't hazard an opinion on the relative dishonesty or immorality of not spending every last dollar or resource on trying to win every single game every single year, but... if baseball came up with a relegation concept, maybe that would add a level of intrigue...  As it is, there are uncountable examples in pro sports and the business world alike where the pursuit of short term gain comes at the expense of long-term viability.  I actually like the concept of tanking because it embraces the long-term view (well, maybe medium-term) as a strategy to cross platform health (the aggregation of talented youngsters is a marketing team's dream in a town starved for success)... Certainly I can see how tanking would leave a bad taste in the mouths of those whose appreciation of the sublime stands secondary to the concept of instant gratification...  And to take it back to the bargaining table, if players feel that their value as free agents is eroded by teams tanking, then maybe there would be some hubbub at the next CBA talks, but in a league that generally sits free of monopolistic oversight, I think Manfred does little to change the current results/draft arrangement...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I did not watch the game. #Chernobyl

But if you're not watching, how do you know how bad this team is or is not? 

The box score tells you all the horribleness you need to know.