Sign in to follow this  
weams

2019 40th round pick (1188): Bobby Zmarzlak - CF - Westhill HS (CT)

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Last selection of Mike Elias' first Orioles draft. 

6' 5 195lbs
DOB:11/22/00

Righthanded

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

I assume we have almost no chance of signing him. 

Maybe. It is a verbal commitment.  He projects well with his size and natural swing.

2 minutes ago, Yachtsman said:

Maybe. It is a verbal commitment.  He projects well with his size and natural swing.

I'd love for us to get him in the system.  Clearly a talented kid.  But he seems like an "unsignable follow pick" as Luke calls it. 

Some kids just want to go pro. It is always tough to predict. Being picked in the 40th round definitely did not help, but the signability issue may have pushed him down that far.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I assume we have almost no chance of signing him. 

No chance, dude is a top 3 round talent, very toolsy guy. Probably just wanted more than teams had him valued. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

No chance, dude is a top 3 round talent, very toolsy guy. Probably just wanted more than teams had him valued. 

How does a top 3 round talent out of high school end up at Maryland?

• Haha 1

Just now, MurphDogg said:

How does a top 3 round talent out of high school end up at Maryland?

Don't know, but a projectable 6'5" CF, plus runner, average to above arm, above average raw, looseness, bat speed, he's that blue chip prospect, regardless of swing length/hit tool concerns.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Saved all this to a text file. You saved me the trouble of going thru mlb.com's schedule every day and bouncing back and forth from Orioles to Braves/Pirates/Twins/Rays etc. etc. Reps to you brother!   Hopefully my link still works this year and I can watch all of these games.
    • Without going too deep into policy/protocol I can say that the media has no real constraints and that’s not a rule.  Every outlet has their priorities and objectives and this is where they can be carried out. The amount of stories here, especially as the games aren’t here yet is not too many.   I didn’t read too much on Eve but she’s a great story, she’s in a major role and it’s an example of the O’s demonstrating out of the box thinking and a forward mentality.   From my perspective, I have my own objectives (learn a little and inform OH readers) and people have been making suggestions to me.  Next one up is a little more on Diaz.  If there’s anything else you’re curious about let me know.
    • Broadcast information for Orioles spring training games. Key Radio    105.7:  Game is on Orioles' flagship 105.7; availability on other stations on the Oriole radio network is unknown    MLB.com:  Oriole radio broadcast is available online.  Not sure of the details, remember Melewski did these games last year, this could be something similar.    Note:  if you happen to live within radio range of another team's broadcast, a game could be on their radio network too.   I didn't go as far as to research that.   You can go to a page like this https://www.mlb.com/phillies/schedule/2020-03/list and substitute the team nickname for "phillies" in the address bar and find out which of their games are on the radio.   TV:    MASN:  Game is on MASN.   (Note that MASN usually re-airs the game later that evening or overnight; I do not have the info of the re-air times but it's often 7pm for a 1pm weekday game)    MLBN:  Game is shown live on MLB Network (note that if the game is also on MASN, the MLBN broadcast will be blacked out for those of us in the Orioles' territory)    MLBN Replay:  Game is shown delayed on MLB network, time is given    Opponents TV:  Game is shown on opponents TV network, which you might be able to get if you  live in that region or if you find a way to stream online Sat Feb 22 Orioles at Braves, 1:05    TV:  Opponents TV (FSSE); MLBN replay at 6:00 AM the next day    Radio:  MLB.com Sun Feb 23 Orioles vs Red Sox, 1:05    TV:  MASN; Opponents TV (NESN); MLBN replay at 2:00 AM Mon Feb 24 Orioles at Phillies, 1:05    TV:  MLBN; Opponents TV (NBCSP) Tue Feb 25 Orioles (split squad) at Red Sox, 1:05    No radio/TV found Orioles (split squad) vs Rays, 1:05    Radio:  105.7 Wed Feb 26 Orioles vs Braves, 1:05    TV:  MASN, MLBN (MLBN blacked out in Oriole territory) Thu Feb 27 Orioles vs Pirates, 1:05    Radio:  MLB.com Fri Feb 28 Orioles at Pirates, 1:05    TV:  Opponents TV (ATTSportsNet-Pitt); MLBN replay at 6:00 AM the next morning    Radio:  MLB.com Sat Feb 29 Orioles vs Marlins, 1:05    Radio:  105.7 Sun Mar 1 Orioles at Phillies 1:05    No radio/TV found Mon Mar 2 Orioles vs Rays, 1:05    TV:  MASN; MLBN replay at 6:00 PM    Radio:  105.7 Tue Mar 3 Orioles at Nationals, 1:05    Radio:  MLB.com Wed Mar 4 Orioles at Marlins, 1:05    Radio:  MLB.com Thu Mar 5 Orioles vs Twins, 3:05    Radio:  105.7 Fri Mar 6 Orioles at Yankees, 6:35    Radio:  105.7 Sat Mar 7 Orioles at Rays, 1:05    TV:  Opponents TV (Fox Sports Sun); MLBN replay at 11PM    Radio:  105.7 Sun Mar 8 Orioles vs Yankees, 1:05    TV:  MASN; MLBN replay at 6:00 AM the next day Mon Mar 9 OPEN DATE Tue Mar 10 Orioles vs Braves, 6:05    Radio:  105.7 Wed Mar 11 Orioles at Blue Jays, 1:07    Radio:  MLB.com Thu Mar 12 Orioles at Twins, 6:05    TV:  Opponents TV (FSNO+); MLBN replay at 8:00 PM    Radio:  105.7 Fri Mar 13 Orioles vs Blue Jays, 1:05    TV:  MASN; Opponents TV (SNET); MLBN replay at 6:00 AM the next day Sat Mar 14 Orioles (split squad) at Braves, 6:05    No radio/TV found Orioles (split squad) vs Pirates, 6:05    Radio:  MLB.com Sun Mar 15 Orioles at Rays, 1:05    Radio:  MLB.com Mon Mar 16 Orioles vs Phillies, 1:05    Radio:  MLB.com Tue Mar 17 Orioles vs Nats, 1:05    Radio:  105.7 Wed Mar 18 Orioles at Twins, 1:05    TV:  MLBN; Opponents TV (FSNO+) Thu Mar 19 Orioles at Pirates, 1:05    TV:  Opponents TV (AttSportsNet-Pitt); MLBN replay at 6:00 AM the next day    Radio:  MLB.com Fri Mar 20 Orioles vs Red Sox, 6:05    TV:  MASN; Opponents TV (NESN) Sat Mar 21 Orioles (split squad) at Red Sox, 6:05    TV:  Opponents TV (NESN); MLBN replay at 12:30 AM (half past midnight) Orioles (split squad) vs Twins, 6:05    Radio:  MLB.com Sun Mar 22 Orioles vs Phillies, 1:05    TV:  MASN;  MLBN replay at 9:00 AM the next day    Radio:  105.7 Mon Mar 23 Orioles vs Mets, 1:05    Radio:  MLB.com    
    • Sure, that’s why I’m here.  Diaz is a priority for me to get info on and I’ll work on that.  Physically, he has always been ‘lower body thick’ and I love that in hitters who aren’t flying out of the box.  Now, he’s closer to ‘upper body thick’ and defined strongly throughout his arms, shoulders and neck.  He put muscle on, not a ton but he also took some of his weight and made it into muscle.  That’s not the easiest process so maybe I’ll find out some more. Santander has similar dimensions but a different build.  He’s slightly leaner but his lower legs are explosive and he can run, stop and start quickly.  Diaz seems more stuck to a spot but not badly.   Stats tell a different story as Santander can put up some pop numbers, but that’s more swing and athleticism.  His neck isn’t huge across like Diaz’s is now.  If they were both tracking a ball in the outfield, Santander can probably get to it and be ready to throw quickly while that process may be slower for a slightly heavier legged guy like Diaz.  Not an insult, just a differing physical profile.   I’ve heard the comp so many times for Diaz as being Melky Cabrera.  I don’t think that’s off by too much because I could see him making contact and driving gappers hard to the wall if he gets his stroke going.  I’d love to see it with consistency.  I don’t think that Santander is more powerful but he’s proven that he can do more with his swing at this point in his career. Thats a good question.
    • I’m here for you.  I’ve seen him throw and pitch very little but he’s definitely got stuff. It’s not straight and flat so I bet he’s got good hands or a release that makes movement happen. To be honest I remember him more on TV than from here at camp.  When I pick my roster for the contest, he WILL be on it.  I don’t see him being a dark horse who can surprise the league like Means did but a highly usable piece and one who can protect leads.   I don’t know how much value there is in that on the 2020 O’s specifically but he’s my pre-setup guy in my breaking camp 26.  
    • Where’s their camp?  I’ll go look too!
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now