Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TonySoprano

Trout Fell to the 25th Pick Because of the Orioles?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The very nature of the Rowell never getting out of AA does make him a huge scouting failure, but he did have a special BP, plus-plus raw power and a plus arm. Where they missed severely was on the makeup, the defense, and not being able to see him against quality competition. With all the perfect game stuff, trackman data, and showcases, I think teams have much more information to go off of now, and I also think teams do a better job of getting to know kids now.

I know the scout who was Rowell's scout, and he's a good judge of talent and a good scout, he just whiffed badly. Then again, I think Joe Jordan was a really good scout himself, and he ultimately pulled the trigger on Rowell, a year after whiffing on Snyder.

I just think there is too much risk in taking a high school hitter in the first round, especially in the top 15 picks or so. Obviously Trout is an outlier but the first round is littered with high school hitter busts which was why I wanted Rutchsman over Witt.

With all that data they are still going to miss more often when drafting 17 and 18 year olds more than they hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Directly, Mike Trout lasted to pick 25 because of the teams drafting picks 1-24.

I doubt that all of them were scared away because of Billy Rowell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Rowell was a huge bust, no doubt, but I gotta question the guy who said he saw him in Delmarva and thought he was an NP. Maybe you could have had questions because of holes in his game, but nobody was NPing him then because he still had that special BP, plus-plus raw power and was 18-years old.

Seems like perfect 20-20 rearview mirror vision to me. 

I heard that loud BP bat at Bowie. I still thought he would put it together and a lot of the scouts there still had interest in Billy. I think the sleeping in the truck and defecating in the field were the things that told all that it was not happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atomic said:

With all that data they are still going to miss more often when drafting 17 and 18 year olds more than they hit. 

Compared to college guys? Then I agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weams said:

I heard that loud BP bat at Bowie. I still thought he would put it together and a lot of the scouts there still had interest in Billy. I think the sleeping in the truck and defecating in the field were the things that told all that it was not happening. 

I'm fairly certain that was why he was never given another chance!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, what? I heard about sleeping in the truck (and I think I also heard in the clubhouse at one point) but he did what in the field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hallas said:

Possibly.  I think racism is pretty prevalent in sports scouting, not just in baseball but everywhere.

I've been told "athlete" is code for black.

Tony, Luke, other scouts--have you heard of this?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hallas said:

Possibly.  I think racism is pretty prevalent in sports scouting, not just in baseball but everywhere.

In baseball, based on what exactly? First hand knowledge? I scouted for a bit and worked along  side many different ethnicities. Never encountered racism. 

Really tired of the everything-is-racist culture.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

I've been told "athlete" is code for black.

Tony, Luke, other scouts--have you heard of this?

Nope. Never saw anyone refer to an ‘athlete’ unless they were complementing a player who actually was athletic, not as a dog-whistle for a black player.

Ridiculous.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Nope. Never saw anyone refer to an ‘athlete’ unless they were complementing a player who actually was athletic, not as a dog-whistle for a black player.

Ridiculous.

If I wasn't clear, I meant code used in scouting reports and memos not designed for public consumption.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

If I wasn't clear, I meant code used in scouting reports and memos not designed for public consumption.

Man, even that’s risky in this day and age, but never saw that either in a report or otherwise and had it explained that it was code for something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...