Sign in to follow this  
DrungoHazewood

What would Rutschman hit in the majors today?

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I suppose, but my money is on the league eating him alive because that's what it does to most people. 

Alex Bregman.  Had a .946 OPS at LSU in 2015 at the age of 21.  In 2016, after 66 minor league games he OPS'd .791 in 49 games in Houston.  

Andrew Benintendi.  Had a Rutschman-like 1.205 OPS at Arkansas at 20, in 2015.  Put up a .900+ OPS in about a season in the minors, and an .835 in a month with the Red Sox in '16. 

Michael Conforto.  1.050 OPS at Oregon State in 2014.  By mid-2015 he was posting an .841 with the Mets.

41 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Alex Bregman.  Had a .946 OPS at LSU in 2015 at the age of 21.  In 2016, after 66 minor league games he OPS'd .791 in 49 games in Houston.  

Andrew Benintendi.  Had a Rutschman-like 1.205 OPS at Arkansas at 20, in 2015.  Put up a .900+ OPS in about a season in the minors, and an .835 in a month with the Red Sox in '16. 

Michael Conforto.  1.050 OPS at Oregon State in 2014.  By mid-2015 he was posting an .841 with the Mets.

How confident are we that Adley is as good as these guys? He probably is, or better (hopefully), but we just don't know.

I am fully confident that he destroys whatever league he gets placed in the minors. 

Going straight from college competition to the AL East? I'm just not that confident, especially as a catcher. 

I like the college  comps just listed by Drungo as baselines for AR.  AR's combination of BBs and power is, IMO, ahead of those three guys, but I wonder if there is some risk in AR being a switch hitter and not doing as well from one side.  I don't expect to find out if AR can actually hit MLB hitting next year however.  I think the Os will do everything possible to make sure the MLB service time doesn't start until some time in 2021.

He's probably the best all around catcher in our organization, from a WAR perspective, right now. He may be the best hitting catcher in the organization right now. Baseball has an odd development pipeline, but he's been playing high level baseball for 3 years now. He hasn't seen a lot of ML-like stuff, but he's seen really good pitchers and excelled.