interloper

Elias J2 International Orioles

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Music impresses me on occasion.  Very happy with one of my Spotify suggestions this week in fact, was listening to it in the car this morning.

Cool story, tell it again.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

You know what's inspiring? When a plant grows through a crack in the concrete. That's inspiring.

I know what I don't find inspiring, when grass bursts through the freshly laid asphalt of my new driveway.

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think he's quoting Elias, there.

If so, that’s his boldest statement yet about our July 2 class.    This raises my expectations more than the T-shirt did (which was not at all).

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If so, that’s his boldest statement yet about our July 2 class.    This raises my expectations more than the T-shirt did (which was not at all).

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

An interesting read (free) from Bed Badler at BaseballAmerica.com: Why We're Not Ranking The Top July 2 Prospects

“MLB now runs their events through the Trainer Partnership Program, using uncommitted players from multiple classes. That change is fine. The MLB showcases before had value—a lot of the pitchers were still uncommitted and teams could see them face top competition”

This might explain why Elias was more hitter focused than pitcher focused in the recent draft. It sounds like top international positional talent is what gets signed early but there are pitchers still uncommitted. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

An interesting read (free) from Bed Badler at BaseballAmerica.com: Why We're Not Ranking The Top July 2 Prospects

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-international-reviews/

The link on the bottom also really helped to put how behind the O’s are into perspective. Despite having the most bonus money they signed by far the least amount of prospects for the least amount of money.

6 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-international-reviews/

The link on the bottom also really helped to put how behind the O’s are into perspective. Despite having the most bonus money they signed by far the least amount of prospects for the least amount of money.

They signed like 21 more guys after that came out, including their top bonus getter.

• Upvote 1

So what happens if the teams have commitments to guys at 14 and by the time they are 16 they find out they aren't going to amount to anything? Do they still sign them to the agreed bonuses at that point?  What if a pitchers tears his rotor cuff does he still get signed?

3 hours ago, atomic said:

So what happens if the teams have commitments to guys at 14 and by the time they are 16 they find out they aren't going to amount to anything? Do they still sign them to the agreed bonuses at that point?  What if a pitchers tears his rotor cuff does he still get signed?

1:03
For early J2 agreements, what happens if a prospect regresses or gets injured, do teams have any protection in those circumstances or is that just the risk of grabbing top players early?

Eric A Longenhagen
1:04
that's the risk you run. If you back out of deals you risk future players/trainers never trusting you

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Jim would probably tell you why he walked each one...strategically.   Maybe if they all swung at pitches in 1969 like Sammy Sosa did in 2007, Palmer would have struck out a lot more too.   The game was obviously different.  That in 2097 was Bedard’s only complete game and only shutout...Palmer had 6 shutouts and 11 complete games that year of 1969.   Just different ...and, in my view, of both performers, Jim’s was the better.  A no hitter is a unique pitching performance, I have been going to games for over 50 years and have not seen one.   2 hitters are a dime a dozen and I have seen a bunch, and strikeouts are interesting (though not democratic, as Crash Davis would say) but that doesn’t by itself give Bedard the alltime greatest Oriole pitching performance to me. 
    • So you are discounting SIX walks just because he didn't allow any hits?  Almost twice as many strikeouts?  Maybe if Bedard had the same caliber of defense behind him that Palmer he he wouldn't have allowed any hits?
    • I’m doing a mock on another forum. We were able to trade picks according to value chart and it turned out as follows: 1: Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge, Penn State 2: Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia 3: Cam Dantzler, CB, Miss St 3: Jordyn Brooks, ILB, Texas Tech 3: Shane Lemieux, G, Oregon 4: Lamical Perine, RB, Florida 4: Anfernee Jennings, Edge, Alabama   I think I feel mostly good about this. OL is definitely solidified and we get a young pass rusher with upside, potential fill the MLB spot, and keep the depth in our secondary. Lemieux was a redundant pick, and the one that I’d consider going back on, but I thought it was good value at the end of the third. Still need a WR, and to get some young blood at safety and D line.  
    • Since Ks are  the only measure this guy used to determine “best” pitching performance.  Not the context of the game as to important or not or whether it was against a quality opponent or not.   When Erik Bedard pitched a complete game against the Texas Rangers in 2007 with 15 strikeouts, Palmer's broadcasting partner Gary Thorne asked rhetorically, "Have you ever seen a better pitched game than that?" To which Palmer replied, "Well, I did throw a no-hitter."  
    • Sandy Sarjeant - a legendary British go-go dancer in the mid sixties. She's the middle dancer in Can't Turn You Loose.   In front of Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers:  
    • Joe Diffie just died.  Coronavirus.  We've now reached the stage where people we recognize are falling and it's only been a few weeks since this mess first started to gain traction.  In truth, I was only vaguely aware of Joe Diffie - his music didn't find its way to me rather than the other way around and that's often the test with me.  I read about his passing on CNN.  He had a career that never made it to the top in any sustained way, but it was durable and he had his moments and it was something to be proud of. This is a collaboration with Marty Stuart that won a Grammy in 1998.   Ships That Don't Come In  
    • I suppose it makes sense on the surface. No one will have played HS or collegiate ball, and how likely is it that there'd be a whole bunch of players that teams would want to make such an investment in? Those HS picks, particularly, would be exponentially riskier than in other years. Besides, you can bet MLB would like to cut costs in a year where it'll possibly lose half or so of its revenue.  Yeah, 5 rounds sounds about right. Better than none, that's for darned sure.
  • Popular Contributors