Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Wow. It's impossible to know (from that article) if he has an uber-careful coach who's protecting his player or if he's fragile. That really stinks. I personally want Hancock to be our pick, though I'm sure anyone we take will be a significant upgrade who will figure prominently in the org's future.

One of those articles talks about getting him back for the Auburn series. He went 6.2 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs in that series.

From the outside looking in, I think it's fair to guess "careful coach" or you wouldn't pitch him into the 7th. But I have no inside information. 

On 11/5/2019 at 6:31 PM, 7Mo said:

One of those articles talks about getting him back for the Auburn series. He went 6.2 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs in that series.

From the outside looking in, I think it's fair to guess "careful coach" or you wouldn't pitch him into the 7th. But I have no inside information. 

Would prefer to have a coach who keeps the body underneath as little wear/tear as possible, preserving his durability for the bigs, rather then spend it all in college, theoretically.

Re: Gonzales, experience w/scouting in other sports tells me that if the talent is noticeable and the results are there..... it's probably real. Understand the hesitation w/hitters parks but he's performed elsewhere.

I'm generally in the camp that would prefer to avoid pitchers at the top as they're very risky and while Hancock is great, if he's not at that transcendent level the potential loss in value is too high. I would be okay w/ a high-schooler due to more years to develop, could break into the league before one of the college kids, esp. if their tools translate well.

I'm firmly in the Martin camp, followed by someone like Crow-Armstrong/high-schooler/Gonzales. You have a large pool to pick from, take pitchers later/get from FA.