Jump to content
Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

Recommended Posts

Hancock, Rodriguez, Hall.... the next cavalry? Hancock should slot into around the same level as Rod and Hall and could potentially all 3 hit the majors around the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, one of these guys just completed another great workout. Something has clicked. His balance at the plate. His pitching mechanics. His arm strength. Something.

We just don't know who that is yet. The board might look pretty different in 6 months.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Today, one of these guys just completed another great workout. Something has clicked. His balance at the plate. His pitching mechanics. His arm strength. Something.

We just don't know who that is yet. The board might look pretty different in 6 months.

Very true. The amateur draft is my World Series this year. And I read that post in the voice of the narrator from HBO’s Hard Knocks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point (which can obviously change) for me the 1st pick is Hancock, Martin,  or bust. I think these two players fit best into the Os farm system needs, but neither is a reach either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

At this point (which can obviously change) for me the 1st pick is Hancock, Martin,  or bust. I think these two players fit best into the Os farm system needs, but neither is a reach either. 

I like Torkelson too. And Nick Gonzalez. I would be happy with both as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hopeful that Ed Howard or another prospect takes a nice step forward towards being worthy of a Top 2 pick. Naturally, the more legit Top-2-type players to choose from, the better. As has been mentioned throughout this thread, we have a long way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm still hopeful that Ed Howard or another prospect takes a nice step forward towards being worthy of a Top 2 pick. Naturally, the more legit Top-2-type players to choose from, the better. AS has been mentioned throughout this thread, we have a long way to go.

I'm not sure that I agree with you.  How does having more equally high-rated draft prospects available at #2 help us?  We can only take one.  Seems like that would be more beneficial to the teams drafting behind us at spots 3, 4, 5, and 6 than to us.  Personally, I'd like to see it boil down to two no-doubt-about-it top guys.  We'd get whichever one Detroit doesn't take and we'd have just as good a chance at a superstar as they do, with a better chance than those picking behind us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm not sure that I agree with you.  How does having more equally high-rated draft prospects available at #2 help us?  We can only take one.  Seems like that would be more beneficial to the teams drafting behind us at spots 3, 4, 5, and 6 than to us.  Personally, I'd like to see it boil down to two no-doubt-about-it top guys.  We'd get whichever one Detroit doesn't take and we'd have just as good a chance at a superstar as they do, with a better chance than those picking behind us.

So if there are say four equally talented/rated players available for picks 1 and 2, you'd rather be relegated to just two choices? This makes zero sense to me.  I don't care about the teams behind us, I want the pick of the litter, so to speak.

An example (just theoretical) of this would be that equally-rated prospects our available at draft time. One is a SS, one a CF, and the other two are starters. The Tigers take a starter. We then have a SS, CF and starter all equally rated and available.  I'd rather Elias have the choice to choose among them, rather than have one real option on the board.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

So if there are say four equally talented/rated players available for picks 1 and 2, you'd rather be relegated to just two choices? This makes zero sense to me.  I don't care about the teams behind us, I want the pick of the litter, so to speak.

An example (just theoretical) of this would be that equally-rated prospects our available at draft time. One is a SS, one a CF, and the other two are starters. The Tigers take a starter. We then have a SS, CF and starter all equally rated and available.  I'd rather Elias have the choice to choose among them, rather than have one real option on the board.  

I guess I not only want a good player, I want a player that is more likely better than the players that the teams picking behind us get.  To me, the point of having such a high draft pick is to hopefully improve our team by more than other teams improve theirs.  I understand what you are saying.  I just disagree with it.  To each his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I guess I not only want a good player, I want a player that is more likely better than the players that the teams picking behind us get.  To me, the point of having such a high draft pick is to hopefully improve our team by more than other teams improve theirs.  I understand what you are saying.  I just disagree with it.  To each his own.

And if we could work it out to where the Tigers draft the equivalents of Dansby Swanson while we take Alex Bregman, and the Tigers take Mark Appel and we take Kris Bryant, that'd be great too.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 3:26 PM, Number5 said:

I guess I not only want a good player, I want a player that is more likely better than the players that the teams picking behind us get.  To me, the point of having such a high draft pick is to hopefully improve our team by more than other teams improve theirs.  I understand what you are saying.  I just disagree with it.  To each his own.

Honestly, what I really want in this draft is a prospect who is legitimately good enough to keep us from taking Torkelson. 

I'm sure I'd love the guy, but I want players that give positional value or #1/2 starter value. Bat only guys, while they can be awesome (see Fielder, Prince), just don't excite me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dbmillertime said:

Maybe way to far off, but with this year looking like another #1 pick, and all the hype for SP Kumar Rocker, would a MI or CF be more beneficial this year (Austin Martin)?

BPA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dbmillertime said:

Maybe way to far off, but with this year looking like another #1 pick, and all the hype for SP Kumar Rocker, would a MI or CF be more beneficial this year (Austin Martin)?

It’s too early to cement Rocker as 1-1, besides any uncertainty about a pitcher staying healthy for 2 years, there are other players who could jump. Outside of more unexpected jumps, there is Alex Binelas who had a 1.047 OPS as an 18 year old true freshman in the SEC. if he gives teams confidence he’ll stick at 3B, he’s an easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Braylon Bishop, who is a HS CF with an absurd assortment of tools. They don’t all transfer in game yet but if they do over the next 18 months, another easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Brady House who is in the discussion for 1-1 already.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s too early to cement Rocker as 1-1, besides any uncertainty about a pitcher staying healthy for 2 years, there are other players who could jump. Outside of more unexpected jumps, there is Alex Binelas who had a 1.047 OPS as an 18 year old true freshman in the SEC. if he gives teams confidence he’ll stick at 3B, he’s an easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Braylon Bishop, who is a HS CF with an absurd assortment of tools. They don’t all transfer in game yet but if they do over the next 18 months, another easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Brady House who is in the discussion for 1-1 already.

 

 

Thank you.  I’m in the infant stages in learning about pre-draft prospects.  My main question is a what point does a team skew away from the BPA draft philosophy?  I understand our farm system still has quite a ways to go, but it seems much more pitcher heavy.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • What was the game score of Bundy's one hitter?  I guess only 12 strikeouts hurt him.
    • Bedard also forced two double plays in that game, so he faced the minimum 27 batters.
    • ....and every other MLB team. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23861547/the-best-pitching-performance-ever-all-30-teams Baltimore Orioles: Erik Bedard (July 7, 2007, versus Rangers) Pitching line: 9 IP, 2 H 0 R, 0 BB, 15 SO (Game Score: 98) Remember that one awesome season for Bedard? He led the AL in fewest hits per nine innings in 2007 and most K's per nine and had a day to remember in Arlington, a tough park to rack up a big game. The Orioles cashed in and traded him to the Mariners after the season for Adam Jones and Chris Tillman, and Bedard had trouble staying healthy after that. For argument's sake: Mike Mussina matched Bedard's 98 with a one-hit, 15-strikeout game in 2000, walking two batters. The highest extra-inning score belongs to Jerry Walker, who spun a 16-inning shutout in 1959 for a 111. He was only 20 and had started the All-Star Game that year; perhaps not coincidentally he came down with arm problems in 1960. He did have a long career as an executive with the Tigers, Cardinals and Reds. Most likely to beat it: Grayson Rodriguez is the team's top pitching prospect. He averaged less than five innings per start in Low-A, so he's a long ways away, but he is a strikeout machine. Notable: Here's an example of how the game has changed. Jim Palmer won three Cy Young Awards, threw 211 complete games and tossed 53 shutouts, but had just 13 double-digit strikeout games in his career -- and in just one of those 13 did he allow zero runs. His best nine-inning Game Score was 90. Palmer didn't need to strike out everyone with the defenses he typically had behind him.  I guess this is going by game score only, though.   I would have been impressed had they mentioned Drabowsky in the '66 World Series.  I don't know if that really counts as the best pitching performance in the history of the franchise but it's in the conversation. I do remember this game by Bedard.  I think there was a lot of consternation on here about whether or not he could go a full 9 innings, like if that was going to determine if he was a true ace or not.  He was so much fun to watch that year.  His curveball was amazing.  
    • Is that really what you’re gathering from my posts or are you just digging for ways to be argumentative?
    • Games in empty stadiums will lead to normalcy?  
    • https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28964249/what-mlb-deal-players-means-2020-season-beyond
    • Had he got in any trouble I would have used Fry against the two left-handers at the top of the order and then Harvey once they would have gotten back to Torres-Stanton-Sanchez..
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...