Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

Hancock, Rodriguez, Hall.... the next cavalry? Hancock should slot into around the same level as Rod and Hall and could potentially all 3 hit the majors around the same time.

Today, one of these guys just completed another great workout. Something has clicked. His balance at the plate. His pitching mechanics. His arm strength. Something.

We just don't know who that is yet. The board might look pretty different in 6 months.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Today, one of these guys just completed another great workout. Something has clicked. His balance at the plate. His pitching mechanics. His arm strength. Something.

We just don't know who that is yet. The board might look pretty different in 6 months.

Very true. The amateur draft is my World Series this year. And I read that post in the voice of the narrator from HBO’s Hard Knocks. 

• Upvote 1

At this point (which can obviously change) for me the 1st pick is Hancock, Martin,  or bust. I think these two players fit best into the Os farm system needs, but neither is a reach either. 

49 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

At this point (which can obviously change) for me the 1st pick is Hancock, Martin,  or bust. I think these two players fit best into the Os farm system needs, but neither is a reach either. 

I like Torkelson too. And Nick Gonzalez. I would be happy with both as well. 

I'm still hopeful that Ed Howard or another prospect takes a nice step forward towards being worthy of a Top 2 pick. Naturally, the more legit Top-2-type players to choose from, the better. As has been mentioned throughout this thread, we have a long way to go.

53 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm still hopeful that Ed Howard or another prospect takes a nice step forward towards being worthy of a Top 2 pick. Naturally, the more legit Top-2-type players to choose from, the better. AS has been mentioned throughout this thread, we have a long way to go.

I'm not sure that I agree with you.  How does having more equally high-rated draft prospects available at #2 help us?  We can only take one.  Seems like that would be more beneficial to the teams drafting behind us at spots 3, 4, 5, and 6 than to us.  Personally, I'd like to see it boil down to two no-doubt-about-it top guys.  We'd get whichever one Detroit doesn't take and we'd have just as good a chance at a superstar as they do, with a better chance than those picking behind us.

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm not sure that I agree with you.  How does having more equally high-rated draft prospects available at #2 help us?  We can only take one.  Seems like that would be more beneficial to the teams drafting behind us at spots 3, 4, 5, and 6 than to us.  Personally, I'd like to see it boil down to two no-doubt-about-it top guys.  We'd get whichever one Detroit doesn't take and we'd have just as good a chance at a superstar as they do, with a better chance than those picking behind us.

So if there are say four equally talented/rated players available for picks 1 and 2, you'd rather be relegated to just two choices? This makes zero sense to me.  I don't care about the teams behind us, I want the pick of the litter, so to speak.

An example (just theoretical) of this would be that equally-rated prospects our available at draft time. One is a SS, one a CF, and the other two are starters. The Tigers take a starter. We then have a SS, CF and starter all equally rated and available.  I'd rather Elias have the choice to choose among them, rather than have one real option on the board.  

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

So if there are say four equally talented/rated players available for picks 1 and 2, you'd rather be relegated to just two choices? This makes zero sense to me.  I don't care about the teams behind us, I want the pick of the litter, so to speak.

An example (just theoretical) of this would be that equally-rated prospects our available at draft time. One is a SS, one a CF, and the other two are starters. The Tigers take a starter. We then have a SS, CF and starter all equally rated and available.  I'd rather Elias have the choice to choose among them, rather than have one real option on the board.  

I guess I not only want a good player, I want a player that is more likely better than the players that the teams picking behind us get.  To me, the point of having such a high draft pick is to hopefully improve our team by more than other teams improve theirs.  I understand what you are saying.  I just disagree with it.  To each his own.

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I guess I not only want a good player, I want a player that is more likely better than the players that the teams picking behind us get.  To me, the point of having such a high draft pick is to hopefully improve our team by more than other teams improve theirs.  I understand what you are saying.  I just disagree with it.  To each his own.

And if we could work it out to where the Tigers draft the equivalents of Dansby Swanson while we take Alex Bregman, and the Tigers take Mark Appel and we take Kris Bryant, that'd be great too.

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2019 at 3:26 PM, Number5 said:

Honestly, what I really want in this draft is a prospect who is legitimately good enough to keep us from taking Torkelson. 

I'm sure I'd love the guy, but I want players that give positional value or #1/2 starter value. Bat only guys, while they can be awesome (see Fielder, Prince), just don't excite me.

Just now, dbmillertime said:

Maybe way to far off, but with this year looking like another #1 pick, and all the hype for SP Kumar Rocker, would a MI or CF be more beneficial this year (Austin Martin)?

BPA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dbmillertime said:

Maybe way to far off, but with this year looking like another #1 pick, and all the hype for SP Kumar Rocker, would a MI or CF be more beneficial this year (Austin Martin)?

It’s too early to cement Rocker as 1-1, besides any uncertainty about a pitcher staying healthy for 2 years, there are other players who could jump. Outside of more unexpected jumps, there is Alex Binelas who had a 1.047 OPS as an 18 year old true freshman in the SEC. if he gives teams confidence he’ll stick at 3B, he’s an easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Braylon Bishop, who is a HS CF with an absurd assortment of tools. They don’t all transfer in game yet but if they do over the next 18 months, another easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Brady House who is in the discussion for 1-1 already.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s too early to cement Rocker as 1-1, besides any uncertainty about a pitcher staying healthy for 2 years, there are other players who could jump. Outside of more unexpected jumps, there is Alex Binelas who had a 1.047 OPS as an 18 year old true freshman in the SEC. if he gives teams confidence he’ll stick at 3B, he’s an easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Braylon Bishop, who is a HS CF with an absurd assortment of tools. They don’t all transfer in game yet but if they do over the next 18 months, another easy 1-1 candidate. Then there is Brady House who is in the discussion for 1-1 already.

Thank you.  I’m in the infant stages in learning about pre-draft prospects.  My main question is a what point does a team skew away from the BPA draft philosophy?  I understand our farm system still has quite a ways to go, but it seems much more pitcher heavy.  

• Upvote 1