Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

I really disagree with Luke on Gonzales being in the mix with the top 3, but obviously we still have to watch what happens in the months leading up to the draft. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite us though. 😆

Three picks in the top 39. 2, 30, and 39. 

MLB Pipeline’s top 100

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2020/?list=draft

A lot of good players in the 25-40 range on that list.  A lot will change though, but the draft is definitely deeper with NCAA SP.

What about the GA double, with SPs Hancock and Wilcox, with our first two picks?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Three picks in the top 39. 2, 30, and 39. 

MLB Pipeline’s top 100

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2020/?list=draft

A lot of good players in the 25-40 range on that list.  A lot will change though, but the draft is definitely deeper with NCAA SP.

What about the GA double, with SPs Hancock and Wilcox, with our first two picks?

Wilcox doesn't fit the profile we've been looking for in pitchers according to Luke. 

The pick at 30 should be really interesting. It's likely that there's a very good high school talent available there with huge signing demands. Do you take a risk with the high ceiling high school guy there? Obviously it depends on who is available but it'll be interesting to me to see which direction they go.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I want the O's to try and get Blaze Jordan this draft. 

Jordon is currently in the #30-ish range for the 2020 draft. My guess is that he’ll drop down a bit further in favor of college players who have a good year. As things stand right now I can’t imagine the Orioles taking him with the 30th or 39th pick unless he shows improvement to his defense. 

He strikes me as a guy who’s top potential is Pete Incaviglia. 

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Jordon is currently in the #30-ish range for the 2020 draft. My guess is that he’ll drop down a bit further in favor of college players who have a good year. As things stand right now I can’t imagine the Orioles taking him with the 30th or 39th pick unless he shows improvement to his defense. 

He strikes me as a guy who’s top potential is Pete Incaviglia. 

I think where he is now, he's worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's that interesting with the bat. 

Veen's stock is shooting way up. I actually picked him in November.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, Spl51 said:

High school pitching is a no that high up, and none of them blow me away. The high school position players are mostly interchangeable tall center fielders, the infielders seem pretty far behind. Of them I like Zac Veen the most, but I'm pretty bad at scouting high school players.

I would consider reaching for him at 1-2, you might get a discount and be able to get a mid 1st round level talent in the comp round. I really like all 3 of the top 3 college players, but man I really like Veen's swing.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Veen's stock is shooting way up. I actually picked him in November.

I would consider reaching for him at 1-2, you might get a discount and be able to get a mid 1st round level talent in the comp round. I really like all 3 of the top 3 college players, but man I really like Veen's swing.

Yes, agree. He has added 15-20 pounds of muscle according to two reports I have read. The Scorpions people I know rave about this kid's upside and work ethic. Solid athleticism, probably a corner OF. Not sure he can play CF in pro ball, and the arm, to me, is probably average in RF. Goes to the same high school that Austin Hays went to, Spruce Creek. 

If he’s likely only a corner OF, no way I’d consider reaching. If we want a corner OF, give me Torkelson and I’ll happily pay more for the significantly higher floor. 

8 hours ago, joelala said:

If he’s likely only a corner OF, no way I’d consider reaching. If we want a corner OF, give me Torkelson and I’ll happily pay more for the significantly higher floor. 

What likelihood do you place on Torkelson being able to play corner OF in the majors?

On 2/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, MountUrCastle said:

I'd avoid Hancock with my life

Based on what? 

I've watched a lot of Hancock, there's not many holes you can poke in his game. He sits upper-mid 90's with a plus change, above average slider and command, both of which project to be plus. Obviously I would prefer a position player to avoid risk, but it completely depends tons of factors. College pitchers who have proven it have much less risk, and we have no knowledge of what his medicals look like. Ace pitchers don't grow on trees.

1 hour ago, MountUrCastle said:

Any opinions on Bitsko?

If you'd avoid Hancock with your life, then a high school righty like Bitsko isn't worth consideration. Hancock is Bitsko's 10th percentile outcome in 3 years.

• Upvote 3

I think we might be sleeping on how good Torkelson is. This draft appears to be really deep in pitching and we have a bunch of picks. 

I think part of Elias’ strategy is that he can identify NCAA SP that other teams don’t value as much because of analytics. That might be able to fill out the #3-#5 spots in the rotation, but usually the raw talent has to be there to be a legit #1/#2.