Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

10 hours ago, Gatoriole said:

What likelihood do you place on Torkelson being able to play corner OF in the majors?

Good point, I can’t say with any confidence he’d be a defensive asset out there. but just looking at the way he moves and his body composition, I’d say he could at the very very least be Mancini-level. Also don’t know anything about his arm. 

8 hours ago, joelala said:

Good point, I can’t say with any confidence he’d be a defensive asset out there. but just looking at the way he moves and his body composition, I’d say he could at the very very least be Mancini-level. Also don’t know anything about his arm. 

I haven't seen enough of him there either, but it's been my impression is he would be a Mancini or Schwarber in the outfield. If you draft Tork, it's probably as a 1B/DH. If you don't want a corner defender or college RHP (Hancock), then right now you're probably looking at Nick Gonzales (assuming Austin Martin goes #1). 

But there's a whole season to be played for players to rise, particularly a high schooler. 

Personally, right now, I'd be happy with Martin or Hancock and would prefer to avoid Tork. But we'll see. I won't be surprised if a high schooler ends up being in the discussion.

18 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Based on what? 

I've watched a lot of Hancock, there's not many holes you can poke in his game. He sits upper-mid 90's with a plus change, above average slider and command, both of which project to be plus. Obviously I would prefer a position player to avoid risk, but it completely depends tons of factors. College pitchers who have proven it have much less risk, and we have no knowledge of what his medicals look like. Ace pitchers don't grow on trees.

If you'd avoid Hancock with your life, then a high school righty like Bitsko isn't worth consideration. Hancock is Bitsko's 10th percentile outcome in 3 years.

I don't like pitchers early (1-10) and I generally prefer players as young as possible. Which, is on me a bit because for whatever reason I had this consistent idea Hancock was 22, and I have no clue where in gods name it came from. 

I would prefer positional players at 1OA but if 30 comes and Bitsko is there, I'd jump all over him. He's a 17 year old who throws mid 90s on the fastball and IMO while there is more risk, the ability to get a player into your minors before their 18 is wonderful for controlling and managing their development. (Which, pre 2018, I would have never suggested for a minute given the Orioles prior history of DnD.) Not to mention that prior to his reclassification, he was a top-10 prospect for the 2021 draft. That's ceiling to bet on and in the event that Hancock goes first, I wouldn't be upset to swing at that.

Just a note that many college teams begin their schedule next Friday, including ASU  (Torkelson), Vanderbilt (Martin) and Georgia (Hancock).     Let the fun begin!   I remember how Rutschman just raked from day one of the college season last year.   That was fun to follow.   

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, Frobby said:

Just a note that many college teams begin their schedule next Friday, including ASU  (Torkelson), Vanderbilt (Martin) and Georgia (Hancock).     Let the fun begin!   I remember how Rutschman just raked from day one of the college season last year.   That was fun to follow.   

I've been managing myself a week or two to make it to Friday before kicking off NCAA season talk as it'll be those guys debuts and we'll find out if Hancock earns the Bulldogs Friday night gig over Wilcox.  But with the caravan stoking enthusiasm, here goes...

I'm wondering if we should construe Elias's good shortstop prospect comment as a tea leaf Martin will have an edge on the third guy if he makes it to the second pick.

My start of season feelings towards the three principals:

-Torkelson is one I don't want because I hope - in pickup basketball terms - that in Mancini/Mountcastle/Hays/Diaz/Santander we "have our five" for LF/CF/RF/1B/DH on the next good team.

-Martin is one I don't want purely as a Lindor Cohort enthusiast.  The moment he becomes the pick is I guess the moment in visualizing supplementing 2022's roster it maybe needs a pivot to the Verlander/Scherzer/Greinke/Kershaw cohort, which while great as a Super Sutcliffe to shepherd in the next good team, feels like a longer shot, plus doesn't fulfill the 5-year Rutschman bookend the payroll should be able to support by Adley Years 2-7.  That said, Martin and a Tejada-level infield FA would both be able to be deployed.

-Process of elimination gives Hancock as the one I'm pulling for, at least in terms of the crudest outline of sketching a 2022 roster makeup.  Pulling for more in the sense of him being the one that actualizes as the second BPA in the group.  Maybe even BPA period, as long as he isn't too conspicuous about it, as the Tigers cornerstones already tilt pitching, and Tork/Martin (if they can stay close to an improving Hancock) could balance with Mize/Manning better than another pitcher.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I've been managing myself a week or two to make it to Friday before kicking off NCAA season talk as it'll be those guys debuts and we'll find out if Hancock earns the Bulldogs Friday night gig over Wilcox.  But with the caravan stoking enthusiasm, here goes...

I'm wondering if we should construe Elias's good shortstop prospect comment as a tea leaf Martin will have an edge on the third guy if he makes it to the second pick.

My start of season feelings towards the three principals:

-Torkelson is one I don't want because I hope - in pickup basketball terms - that in Mancini/Mountcastle/Hays/Diaz/Santander we "have our five" for LF/CF/RF/1B/DH on the next good team.

-Martin is one I don't want purely as a Lindor Cohort enthusiast.  The moment he becomes the pick is I guess the moment in visualizing supplementing 2022's roster it maybe needs a pivot to the Verlander/Scherzer/Greinke/Kershaw cohort, which while great as a Super Sutcliffe to shepherd in the next good team, feels like a longer shot, plus doesn't fulfill the 5-year Rutschman bookend the payroll should be able to support by Adley Years 2-7.  That said, Martin and a Tejada-level infield FA would both be able to be deployed.

-Process of elimination gives Hancock as the one I'm pulling for, at least in terms of the crudest outline of sketching a 2022 roster makeup.  Pulling for more in the sense of him being the one that actualizes as the second BPA in the group.  Maybe even BPA period, as long as he isn't too conspicuous about it, as the Tigers cornerstones already tilt pitching, and Tork/Martin (if they can stay close to an improving Hancock) could balance with Mize/Manning better than another pitcher.

I’m agnostic.     Just get us a guy who turns out to be a stud.    That’s literally all I care about.    

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 4:28 PM, Gatoriole said:

I haven't seen enough of him there either, but it's been my impression is he would be a Mancini or Schwarber in the outfield. If you draft Tork, it's probably as a 1B/DH. If you don't want a corner defender or college RHP (Hancock), then right now you're probably looking at Nick Gonzales (assuming Austin Martin goes #1). 

But there's a whole season to be played for players to rise, particularly a high schooler. 

Personally, right now, I'd be happy with Martin or Hancock and would prefer to avoid Tork. But we'll see. I won't be surprised if a high schooler ends up being in the discussion.

Exactly where I'm at right now.

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/baseball/schedule/2020

500 game time for Georgia's opener today.  Pregame story sayseth:

Hancock will be starting the season opener for the second year in a row. He carried a no-hitter to the seventh in the 2019 season-opening win over Dayton. Wilcox and Smith are slated to start Saturday and Sunday.

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/baseball/schedule/2020

500 game time for Georgia's opener today.  Pregame story sayseth:

Hancock will be starting the season opener for the second year in a row. He carried a no-hitter to the seventh in the 2019 season-opening win over Dayton. Wilcox and Smith are slated to start Saturday and Sunday.

Hancock got roughed up pretty good today. 4IP 6ER and just 4Ks...

Meanwhile, following in Joseph Ortiz's footsteps, Nick Gonzales did indeed go across to SS in New Mexico State's opener (plus 2 XBH and a BB in 5 PA).  I'm much more open to him on the first tier if he is a "real" SS and only happened to not be last year because Ortiz was even better.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/3983297

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Meanwhile, following in Joseph Ortiz's footsteps, Nick Gonzales did indeed go across to SS in New Mexico State's opener (plus 2 XBH and a BB in 5 PA).  I'm much more open to him on the first tier if he is a "real" SS and only happened to not be last year because Ortiz was even better.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/3983297

I love Gonzalez’ swing. I’m a big fan and would love if we got him 

Also would be happy with Tork. I want a college bat. Unless Veen really takes off this year. I read a Christian Yelich Comp on him.  That’s enticing. 

Just got to Athens to watch my old squad (UR) Play my wife’s alma mater (UGA). Fun weekend for kids.  We missed the spiders knocking Hancock around last night.  Excited to get a good look at Cole Wilcox.  Will try to get some video.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Just got to Athens to watch my old squad (UR) Play my wife’s alma mater (UGA). Fun weekend for kids.  We missed the spiders knocking Hancock around last night.  Excited to get a good look at Cole Wilcox.  Will try to get some video.

Awesome,  some video would be sweet if you get the chance. Have fun!