Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We might as well be looking at the 2021 top prospects as well. Heck, maybe even Kumar Rocker in 2022, but that would be 4 straight #1 picks. 

I think I’d want us to take the top NCAA P. The 1B is out just because of positional value. Just comes down to whoever are scouts like and what they will sign for. 

I believe we get a comp pick next year after the 1st rd instead of after the 2nd like this year. That increases our bonus pool. If there is no clear cut #1(like AR or Witt) then maybe draft based on who gives you chance to sign a tough sign with the comp pick and pick at the top of the 2nd. 

Kumar Rocker is 2021. 

It’s just too early to speculate on who might be a 1:1 candidate in 2020.    Too much baseball to be played between now and then.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s just too early to speculate on who might be a 1:1 candidate in 2020.    Too much baseball to be played between now and then.   

Are we actually playing baseball though?  I though Elias was basically hitting the “simulate” or “skip ahead” button on this season. 

There isn’t too much to talk about around these parts nowadays. Haha. The Chris Davis thread just got locked. 

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Guys, how do I post an image from my computer or a URL? 

There is a giant button under where you click to submit a reply that says "Insert Image from URL".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

There is a giant button under where you click to submit a reply that says "Insert Image from URL".

I don't see a giant button below Submit Reply... odd. Would you mind posting a screen shot or whatever image showing it? Thanks.

EDIT: Wait... I now see a button that says 'Insert Other Media' above reply. Thanks and sorry I hadn't noticed it. I may be starting my senility a bit early at 54. :P

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are we actually playing baseball though?  I though Elias was basically hitting the “simulate” or “skip ahead” button on this season. 

We may not be playing baseball, but the potential draft picks are.   

If the O's take Austin Martin (SS, #3) with their first pick and Casey Martin (SS, #25) as the supplemental pick, the O's would have Richie Martin, Austin Martin, and Casey Martin all competing for the SS position.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We might as well be looking at the 2021 top prospects as well. Heck, maybe even Kumar Rocker in 2022, but that would be 4 straight #1 picks. 

I think I’d want us to take the top NCAA P. The 1B is out just because of positional value. Just comes down to whoever are scouts like and what they will sign for. 

I believe we get a comp pick next year after the 1st rd instead of after the 2nd like this year. That increases our bonus pool. If there is no clear cut #1(like AR or Witt) then maybe draft based on who gives you chance to sign a tough sign with the comp pick and pick at the top of the 2nd. 

Pete Alonso and says hi. Personally I’m not worried about positional value at 1.1. Take the best baseball player. Tork is definitely in that conversation.

I would keep an eye on Mick Abel.  Upper 90's FB, flashes plus slider, command coming around and working on a changeup but hard throwing HS all need to work on that.  It will be interesting to see how much weight he adds to his frame this fall/winter and how he progresses next spring. 

• Upvote 2

I had a dream that we'll take Pete Crow-Armstrong, the highly rated CF from Harvard Westlake HS, CA.  While it's not official, it may as well be now that I've dreamt it.  :D

FYI, as has been mentioned multiple times (and spelled out in the thread title :P, these articles, lists, reviews, etc... are all early in the process. Rankings are based on what these sites' evaluators have seen thus far, but the rankings, as they do every year, change for most, if not all, of the prospects.