Jump to content
Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I will not write off Torkelson, but Martin is my favorite position guy. I’m interested to see if Elias sticks with college guys at the top of the draft, or is willing to go with a HS player. 

Things can obviously change, but Torkelson would be my first pick.  His power appears to be remarkable to go with good hitting skills and fwiw, he appears to be excellent defensively at 1st base.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MountUrCastle said:

Any opinions on Nick Gonzalez? Numbers look really good, at the least.

Nick Gonzalez is a very good prospect, think Nick Madrigal with a bit more power and a bit less hit and a bit less glove at 2B. The history of college 2B drafted is pretty rough, but he's a good player, should definitely go in the first round. 

But to put his stats in context, New Mexico State's home park is the most hitter friendly park in D1 college baseball by a fair margin. It's like Coors field on steroids. 

For example, Joey Ortiz (Orioles 4th round pick, SS, with well below average power) had a .292 ISO there in 2019 and proceeded to have a .026 ISO in Aberdeen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Things can obviously change, but Torkelson would be my first pick.  His power appears to be remarkable to go with good hitting skills and fwiw, he appears to be excellent defensively at 1st base.    

I really don't see the Tigers picking another pitcher unless Hancock became a sure-fire ace. Torkelson is most likely the Tigers pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, LookinUp said:

As of today, I want us to get Hancock or Martin, though it's hard to pass over truly special bats.

Me too. I'm not a fan of drafting Torkelson. The last thing the Orioles need is another 1B/DH guy and apparently Torkelson's bat isn't as special as the 1B Vaughn who was drafted 3rd earlier this year. The Orioles need more guys with multiple tools, guys that can hit and also play good D at premium defensive positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Me too. I'm not a fan of drafting Torkelson. The last thing the Orioles need is another 1B/DH guy and apparently Torkelson's bat isn't as special as the 1B Vaughn who was drafted 3rd earlier this year. The Orioles need more guys with multiple tools, guys that can hit and also play good D at premium defensive positions. 

Torkelson is supposed to have a lot more power than Vaughn.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Me too. I'm not a fan of drafting Torkelson. The last thing the Orioles need is another 1B/DH guy and apparently Torkelson's bat isn't as special as the 1B Vaughn who was drafted 3rd earlier this year. The Orioles need more guys with multiple tools, guys that can hit and also play good D at premium defensive positions. 

First and foremost, the O's need a great talent - almost regardless of position.  If the best player is a Pete Alonzo, a Cody Bellinger, a Josh Bell, a Freddie Freeman, or a Nelson Cruz - so be it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ruzious said:

First and foremost, the O's need a great talent - almost regardless of position.  If the best player is a Pete Alonzo, a Cody Bellinger, a Josh Bell, a Freddie Freeman, or a Nelson Cruz - so be it.    

But it sure would be nice if our future TOR featured:

1. 2020 draftee
2. DL Hall
3. Grayson Rodriguez

But a lot of different machinations would be huge improvements, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

But it sure would be nice if our future TOR featured:

1. 2020 draftee
2. Adam Hall
3. Grayson Rodriguez

But a lot of different machinations would be huge improvements, obviously.

And something I think they need to do - hit big on at least 2 international prospects like the Nats and Braves did (of course not breaking rules like the Braves did). Neither of those teams would be where they are if they hadn't.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

But it sure would be nice if our future TOR featured:

1. 2020 draftee
2. Adam Hall
3. Grayson Rodriguez

But a lot of different machinations would be huge improvements, obviously.

You meant DL Hall... Adam is the middle infield prospect. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Are Hancock or Martin considered elite generational talent?

Nobody in this year’s class is supposed to be at the level of Rutschman but the class is supposed to be deeper. I believe Hancock is supposed to be better than any arm in this year’s class. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, higgybaby said:

Are Hancock or Martin considered elite generational talent?

Not at this point but players often will develop and answer questions in the spring. With the abundance of pitching talent, I’d bet there is a true 5-10 year TOR ace in there somewhere, it’ll just be picking the right one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Not at this point but players often will develop and answer questions in the spring. With the abundance of pitching talent, I’d bet there is a true 5-10 year TOR ace in there somewhere, it’ll just be picking the right one. 

And developing him the right way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the pipeline article, it looks like Hancock has emerged as the top guy, but the draft is still 8-9 months away. Lots can change and I’m sure it will. 

If baseball doesn’t like teams “tanking” then they should open up the draft and make all the picks tradeable. It might help the “have nots” get more back in trades, and the ability to have the ability to stock pile picks. 

This draft will be in 2020. That means players won’t be arriving till around 2024-2025. Take BPA and no Grienier/Stewart type picks. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...