Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

8 hours ago, dcterp said:

Perfect Game out with its top college players for the 2020 draft - their top 3 is Austin Martin, Torkelson and Hancock.  Only the top10 are viewable, rest behind the paywall:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=17591

I'm looking forward to a more robust discussion of who the Orioles should select with their first pick this upcoming draft. Rutschman was the pretty strong favorite for most of the run up this year, but there are at least 5-6 solid candidates for pick 1-2 currently and I think it could grow if some of the players progress like I think they will. 

• Upvote 2

Well with 8 games to go, Tigers have virtually cemented their position as number one pick as they are on a 4 game losing streak and we are 4  1/2 games back.  We are in no danger of losing our number two slot as we are ahead of both Miami and Kansas City by a similar margin.   So, number two it looks like it will be. 

On 9/21/2019 at 7:09 AM, Luke-OH said:

I'm looking forward to a more robust discussion of who the Orioles should select with their first pick this upcoming draft. Rutschman was the pretty strong favorite for most of the run up this year, but there are at least 5-6 solid candidates for pick 1-2 currently and I think it could grow if some of the players progress like I think they will. 

Obviously you want the O's to pick the guy they think has the most talent and can be developed into the best guy, but there's also the leverage factor here. A chance to save here w/o much of a talent trade off would help down in the draft.

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Obviously you want the O's to pick the guy they think has the most talent and can be developed into the best guy, but there's also the leverage factor here. A chance to save here w/o much of a talent trade off would help down in the draft.

BPA please!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jtschrei said:

Does Martin remind anyone else of Dansby Swanson? 

Not really, aside from them both being infielders from Vanderbilt.  Looks to me like Martin has significantly more bat speed.  And in the infield, call me crazy, but he kind of moves like Jeter.

14 minutes ago, Stotle said:

Why no Nick Gonzales (NM ST)?

How does Gonzales stack up to Madrigal In your opinion? The cliff notes version seems like less bat control but more raw pop, but I don’t know much about Gonzales defense.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

How does Gonzales stack up to Madrigal In your opinion? The cliff notes version seems like less bat control but more raw pop, but I don’t know much about Gonzales defense.

For my money he's probably the best overall college hitter in the class and will be an average defender at 2b, long term.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Stotle said:

For my money he's probably the best overall college hitter in the class and will be an average defender at 2b, long term.  

Better bat than Torkelson, that's quite the endorsement, I like it. 

This is a guy I think could shoot up, I just wonder what it would take for us to take a high school player. I just feel like Elias heavily leans towards college players because he can use models and get trackman data.

Not a 2nd overall potential guy, but an interesting under the radar arm with size, bloodlines, and stuff. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Lamar has at times been awful outside the hash marks yes, and certainly leaves a lot to be desired there. I too have my doubts as to how much he’ll be able to improve in that facet of his game. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. But it’s abundantly clear to everyone except you that the passing game, particularly outside the numbers, has got to improve for us to win a championship. It’s just the way the league is now. And being that Lamar is going to be our QB for quite some time, the only way to improve said passing game is by infusing it with more pass catchers who can create separation and/or present mismatches, and/or beat press coverage. And Because of the perception of Lamar and our scheme that you eloquently highlighted in your post, it will be difficult to attract those pass catchers via free agency, leaving the draft as the best and perhaps only means of acquiring them. So I say address the pass rush and the o-line via free agency and spend a first rounder on a potentially elite target for Lamar. I like Pitts because he can do all of the things I mentioned above that will help keep defenses honest and keep the middle of the field less crowded for Lamar and the running backs. All pretty basic logic. 
    • They are going to keep expanding the passing game.  They have said this.  Part of the reason they haven’t is the lack of weapons.     I don’t think they get Pitts at 13 but if he was at 13, they would take him, for sure.   Just as they would take one of Waddle, Chase or Smith if they fell. And they certainly could trade down but they also could trade up some as well, if a weapon fell that they wanted. Tons of options but it’s very clear that adding more weapons for Lamar is on the agenda.
    • o   Actually, I did not know that. I only went there one time, when my cousin Donnie took me to see an Orioles/Yankees game in April of 1979. I knew about Wild Bill Hagy and Leonard "Big Wheel" Burrier (the Colts super fan), and that it was known as "The Asylum on 33rd Street." I also knew about the row of white houses that were situated directly in back of the stadium behind center-field, which some opposing hitters claimed gave Jim Palmer an extra advantage because his overhand delivery of the white baseball often blended in with those white houses ...... but I didn't know about the acoustics of the stadium making it louder. Thanks for the info.   o
    • How is it wrong ?    wait and see who they’d add off the scrap heap or draft! They won’t even sniff Pitts is they get the #13. They will trade back for additional picks as they should and fix the line.    They aren’t going to throw anymore than marginally more ....period!    You saying it’s wrong and being wrong are two very different things my friend.    Lamar wants to run! Roman wants to run! After those things happen the passing game gets the leftovers. Plus ...Lamar sucks at passing outside the numbers down the field. That’s why opponents are giving them 10 inside the hash looks. 
    • I won't lie, the Braves signing Travis Snider the other day stung a little here. Tejada still has him by 2407-2388.   I half feel that if Diaz has to wait 6 weeks - I'd rather it be for Markakis than DJ Stewart. Edwin Encarnacion is the only one ahead of him in Service Time among the unsigned FA in Fangraphs tracker.
    • I don’t see how you can have total trust in a guy, a guy who has barely been here relatively speaking and then question his methods and evaluation of talent.  It doesn’t make much sense. It’s not like Elias has some history as a GM to give him the benefit of the doubt.    His only history that is really positive is working with the Astros, where he was a scout and talent evaluator and worked the draft.  
  • Popular Contributors