Sign in to follow this  
interloper

Awaiting Elias' first big roster-related move

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think one of Elias goals is to draft high in 2020.   So I think that we have to be keep in mind as he make moves.

Yeah, I've wondered about this as well.  Does it increase his willingness/desire to trade Bundy/Villar/Mancini?  I think Cashner will be considered either way.  Part of why I think Straily is not a DFA contender.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

But Sedlock's numbers are legit.

Without known why he is out its hard to know what will happen.  What if its blister or a split nail?     I don't really care if he pitches in the AS game.  I just hope he is ok.

Yes, Sedlock was doing very well and I was expecting him to get promoted at the all star break.   But I think his promotion will probably be delayed until a few starts after he gets back on the field for Frederick, assuming that he does and performs well.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Re: Sedlock

I hope it's nothing, but it certainly smacks of the type of talk that a serious injury starts out with.  I'm not saying all serious arm injuries start off this way but how many times have you seen a guy have something minor turn into an extended stint on the DL?

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope it's nothing, but it certainly smacks of the type of talk that a serious injury starts out with.  I'm not saying all serious arm injuries start off this way but how many times have you seen a guy have something minor turn into an extended stint on the DL?

A zillion times.    Next we’ll be hearing he’s having a PRP injection.  Paging Dr. Andrews....

• Upvote 1

My best hope for Trumbo was that he would come back, hit for power and be tradeable at the deadline. My theory (oblivious hope) was, because the cost is sunk and we have new ownership, Elias would get approval to eat the salary in exchange for a prospect. Now my best hope is for the O's to be able to file an insurance claim. Ditto Davis.

Another poster pointed out that he thinks one of Elias' goals is to get a high pick next year. I agree. For that reason, I expect the O's to keep Davis through the end of the year. 

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

But, everyone knows that Steve and Roch never ask questions.  That’s the real reporters’ job.

They don't. Steve only answered when some people asked him that it seemed odd that Sedlock has not pitched in awhile. So he comes out with the information  I guess he was holding this tidbit for a proper time. Dont ask,dont tell.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Given his arm issues the last few seasons, this is a big flag.

I too am most curious about the Elias approach as it relates to Davis.  Somebody said about eating 80 million...well, technically after this season he will have 3 years left at 17 million each.  THEN...he will be age 36 and will be a free agent.  But from 2023 through 2037, he will also receive 42 million in deferred compensation.  

Now nobody in their right mind is going to continue with him beyond age 36, so essentially we owe him as an active player another 51 million.  Then he gets retirement pay after he is done for another 15 years of 42 million.   

Man it is breathtakingly dumb to have signed him to that deal and his agent is a genius, an absolute genius. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I too am most curious about the Elias approach as it relates to Davis.  Somebody said about eating 80 million...well, technically after this season he will have 3 years left at 17 million each.  THEN...he will be age 36 and will be a free agent.  But from 2023 through 2037, he will also receive 42 million in deferred compensation.  

Now nobody in their right mind is going to continue with him beyond age 36, so essentially we owe him as an active player another 51 million.  Then he gets retirement pay after he is done for another 15 years of 42 million.   

Man it is breathtakingly dumb to have signed him to that deal and his agent is a genius, an absolute genius. 

Nobody in their right mind would have continued with him beyond age 32.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking the Front Office's real job for the next couple of seasons will be occupied at the minor league levels.

Barring a Mancini trade or maybe cutting Chris Davis -- neither of which I think happen anytime soon -- there are hardly any meaningful moves Elias can do at the Major League level this season.  This may be true for next season too.  

There is no reason to release Davis. We are not close enough to contention that Mountcastle needs to play immediately. Keep playing the long game works for me.