Sign in to follow this  
baltfan

Why Philly Needed All of that Int'l Money

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They could have offered him more, but that’s assuming they valued him as worth a ~1M bonus and even then we don’t know how strong the connection with the Phillies was, from the reporting it was a lengthy ongoing back and forth. At some point money talks, but where is that point and is the player worth it?

I'm just annoyed that they have had a very big stick for almost a year and never used it.  The way I look at it when you need talent it isn't necessarily the worst thing to overpay.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, interloper said:

And if the O's signed this guy, you'd criticize it. Can't have it both ways.

I probably shoudn't respond to this shot but it irks me.

Evidently you think I am unrelentingly negative about all moves the Orioles make.  That just means you don't pay proper attention.  I have a set group of beliefs and when the Orioles' actions correspond to those beliefs I laud them for it.  If you check the last decade of my posting history you will see I am very consistent in these beliefs and I think my track record when I criticize the team is solid.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm just annoyed that they have had a very big stick for almost a year and never used it.  The way I look at it when you need talent it isn't necessarily the worst thing to overpay.

VVM got almost 6 mil. He has 4 extra basehits in 225 PA as a 23 year old in A ball. I find it hard to believe that you or anyone on this board would not be criticizing the Orioles for spending that much on signing him. 99.9% of top international free agents like him sign for half of what he got because it's not prudent to throw all your money at one player. The more successful teams in this arena do things in ways that are vastly different from the Marlins. Setting a proper valuation and not deviating from it is the sign of a successful business. I'm glad the O's are spreading the money around to multiple players and not overspending just because they have the slots.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

VVM got almost 6 mil. He has 4 extra basehits in 225 PA as a 23 year old in A ball. I find it hard to believe that you or anyone on this board would not be criticizing the Orioles for spending that much on signing him. 99.9% of top international free agents like him sign for half of what he got because it's not prudent to throw all your money at one player. The more successful teams in this arena do things in ways that are vastly different from the Marlins. Setting a proper valuation and not deviating from it is the sign of a successful business. I'm glad the O's are spreading the money around to multiple players and not overspending just because they have the slots.

Even if it means you leave millions unspent? 

You can look at this team and think "I'd rather they not overspend for talent?"

Keep in mind these prices are only this low because of the slots.  Years ago the evaluations and contracts were much higher.  You aren't paying more than these kids are worth, you are paying more than the current system is set up to pay them.

Now I'm not saying they had to sign VVM, or this new kid.  But they should have found somebody they could spend some money on.

Unless of course all that money wasn't meant to be spent in the first place.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

That’s a defendable opinion, I think they should have been more aggressive with VVM, his proximity to the majors makes it more likely he’d be worth an overpay. But it’s hard for me to come down too hard when I don’t know all the details of what it would’ve taken.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Now I'm not saying they had to sign VVM, or this new kid.  But they should have found somebody they could spend some money on.

Well, I think it’s debatable.   First of all, they did spend some money, because approximately thirty players have been signed since Elias got here and hired Koby Perez.    I couldn’t tell you if those guys got $250,000 or $10,000, or whether any of them is someone to be excited about.   But it’s certainly not the case that Elias/Perez have sat on their hands for six months.     

Second, I think there’s a danger, when coming very late to the party, of wanting to spend money just to spend it.    It’s like you move to a new school two weeks before the prom, and 95% of the students already have their prom dates, so you ask someone you really don’t know and who you aren’t that attracted to and then spend a couple hundred dollars on a tux, limo, fancy dinner etc.    Not a good investment in those circumstances.   

Elias has made it very clear that he’s expecting significant changes in our signing activities starting July 2.    I’m willing to accept that he and Perez decided that the pool of remaining talent in this year’s class was very limited and tailored their efforts towards those remaining who seemed worth getting at prices they determined were reasonable.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

But the kids at the new school are unique to that school - these international prospects are the same no matter what team you work for.

When I left DeMatha for the land of wild public school skankopotami I ended up going to prom we the hottest girl in my family. It’s not easy to get dates when you’re the new kid. 

I actually asked a girl to the prom the day before - not because I was new to the school.    I was very shy and hadn’t planned on asking anyone.  Then a friend of this girl I knew asked me to ask her friend, because she was feeling bad about not going.    So I did.   That set off a chain reaction of about four other guys asking girls to the prom at the last minute, figuring if I could get a date, anybody could!   We had an OK time, but frankly I’d rather have spent that money going to 20 Orioles games that summer.    

Back to more important things, why does it matter that the remaining prospects were not unique to the Orioles?    The fact remains that 95% of the prospects anyone wanted already had signed by the time Elias came on board.   So I think my analogy holds.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless of course all that money wasn't meant to be spent in the first place.

I think there was and is a somewhat limited budget that Elias can use for everything. I suspect they decided that instead of over paying for what was left on the market that he would invest that money in analytics, camera equipment, etc. Hopefully the Orioles do much better during the next signing period and Elias starts to build some trust. I guess we'll start finding out about Elias and the international market in just a few weeks. 

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I actually asked a girl to the prom the day before - not because I was new to the school.    I was very shy and hadn’t planned on asking anyone.  Then a friend of this girl I knew asked me to ask her friend, because she was feeling bad about not going.    So I did.   That set off a chain reaction of about four other guys asking girls to the prom at the last minute, figuring if I could get a date, anybody could!   We had an OK time, but frankly I’d rather have spent that money going to 20 Orioles games that summer.    

Back to more important things, why does it matter that the remaining prospects were not unique to the Orioles?    The fact remains that 95% of the prospects anyone wanted already had signed by the time Elias came on board.   So I think my analogy holds.   

That is a beautiful story.I was thinking of writing a movie script from this.You can get royalties and a percentage. Thinking of calling it "Frobby Does Not Strike Out" or "Frobby Hits It Out Of The Park ".I guess you didn't score.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

That’s a defendable opinion, I think they should have been more aggressive with VVM, his proximity to the majors makes it more likely he’d be worth an overpay. But it’s hard for me to come down too hard when I don’t know all the details of what it would’ve taken.

Brady couldn't convince VVM and Bro that some dinero, good nutrition and fitness were worth more than living "La Vida Loca" in Miami and fulfilling @Can_of_corn's fantasy.  😇 Ay lastima! 

Edited by bobmc
español es muy loco
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

That is a beautiful story.I was thinking of writing a movie script from this.You can get royalties and a percentage. Thinking of calling it "Frobby Does Not Strike Out" or "Frobby Hits It Out Of The Park ".I guess you didn't score.

A gentleman never tells.   

There were several funny things that happened in that 24-48 hours and it wouldn’t make a bad comedy.

I did run into my prom date about 15 years later — she saw me eating in a restaurant and came in to say hi.    By that time I’d been married for a few years, and if I recall correctly, so was she.   It was nice to see her.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m doing my best to judge the new front office from the point they took over, and forgive past trespasses (as best one can), and so far I’m very satisfied with the process. Who would have predicted the Angelos family putting the team in the hands of a young analytics/advanced metrics guy? I certainly didn’t. 

I do wish last year’s crew had taken a $6M flyer on VVM, but for all we know, no amount of money might have made Baltimore — or many other cities, for that matter — seem like a more appealing destination than Miami. 

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think CoC would be whining if the Orioles signed him.  

No. He would even be good with a softballer Kiwi 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, tntoriole said:

That Andy Macphail, he has become so international! 

MacPhail cautioned Peter about the near slavery in the Dominican Republic. And of course the drugging of 12 year olds.