Jump to content
interloper

Trumbo rehab begins again 8/27/19

Recommended Posts

On 6/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, mdbdotcom said:

I suspect that the point at which a major league ballplayer complains of a little soreness is the point when most of us would be in the ER for unbearable pain.

Haha, I doubt this very much. Ever seen a major league baseball player now hit the ground under any circumstance and not need the trainer to come out? Used to be players would collide head first, rub their heads and walk back to their positions. :D

Seriously though, with the money these guys make, I'm guessing any little twinge and they're telling the trainers. Before guaranteed contracts, you would hear about pitchers with severe elbow and shoulder pain still pitching because they wanted the pay check and didn't want to be damaged goods for next year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing a 162 game schedule can certainly be a grind and I'm sure players play with nagging pain all the time. Is it easy to do what they do on a day in and day out basis? Nope.

Do I think baseball is as physically challenging as say Football or Hockey, nope, not even close though catchers certainly might have a say in this fight with all the bending of the knees and balls and bats to the mask and other parts of their bodies that they take.

However, this whole occasional day game after a night game concern is pretty lame. First off it's mainly on Sunday's and all of the players make enough money and get enough per diem that they could clearly stay in a local hotel near the stadium and get a solid eight hours sleep before that 1PM Sunday game. 

Maybe the fact that I once spent a year in Afghanistan working 12-14 hours a day for one year straight with no days off (outside of the two week leave we got mid-tour) makes me a little less concerned over a guy who gets off at 11, can be in a 5-star hotel or home and in bed by 12, who can get up at 8, and still be at the ballpark by 10 for a 1PM game. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, I doubt this very much. Ever seen a major league baseball player now hit the ground under any circumstance and not need the trainer to come out? Used to be players would collide head first, rub their heads and walk back to their positions. :D

Seriously though, with the money these guys make, I'm guessing any little twinge and they're telling the trainers. Before guaranteed contracts, you would hear about pitchers with severe elbow and shoulder pain still pitching because they wanted the pay check and didn't want to be damaged goods for next year. 

Mancini, Hays and Cobb are just three examples of players who tried to play through injuries and made themselves worse. We've seen Severino try to stay in a game even though he was lightheaded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Mancini, Hays and Cobb are just three examples of players who tried to play through injuries and made themselves worse. We've seen Severino try to stay in a game even though he was lightheaded. 

True, and I don't mean to say there are not players who still try to play through pain, but let's face it, football players hit into each other and full blast 30-40 times a game. Most baseball players trip over something and they start winding their arms around, grimacing, and basically making sure everyone knows they're dinged up.

There are always going to be exceptions though and I know there are some tough guys that play the sport, but it seems like most outfielders can't even dive or hit the wall anymore without giving some kind of reaction. 

I just don't remember that being a thing 20 years or more ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 8:14 AM, weams said:

Yes it is silly. Gretzky gould not hit a curveball. Though he would easily have the required quickness in the field. Like Michael Jordan.

You crack me up. Won't give an inch in the "baseball is the hardest sport" discussion. 

Every professional sport is comprised of amazingly talented specialists. That's the point. They're great athletes who spent so much time and effort specializing in a single sport that they don't even have the time to develop those skills at a professional (elite) level in another sport. Hockey requires amazing skating ability, toughness and hand/eye coordination. Basketball requires tremendous size and athleticism, and only the most supreme athletes can excel without size. They probably can't hit a 88 MPH curveball, but most baseball players aren't able to get a jumper off even against a "small" player with elite quicks like the 6'3" Steph Curry. Oh, and they run, often sprinting, miles every game, play on a surface as hard as concrete, run off picks every possession and get hit every time they take it to the lane.

To me, a basketball player's knees are akin to a baseball player's arm. The only position on a baseball field where you can argue the arm isn't under tremendous stress is 2B. Everyone else is throwing 100+ feet and/or with extreme stress, many times every single day, counting warmups and game action. That will wear anyone down over 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, and I don't mean to say there are not players who still try to play through pain, but let's face it, football players hit into each other and full blast 30-40 times a game. Most baseball players trip over something and they start winding their arms around, grimacing, and basically making sure everyone knows they're dinged up.

There are always going to be exceptions though and I know there are some tough guys that play the sport, but it seems like most outfielders can't even dive or hit the wall anymore without giving some kind of reaction. 

I just don't remember that being a thing 20 years or more ago.

In the old days, players on opposing teams couldn't speak with each other without being fined, and the showing of any kind of emotion was frowned upon. My guess is that by this point in the season, they all have a pretty good collection of aches and pains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole discussion seems to have gone off on a tangent.   It doesn’t really matter to me whether baseball players have it better or worse than athletes in the other sports.    It’s still true that baseball is a grind and playing with various little injuries can add up when you are playing in essence 6 out of every 7 days on average.    Some guys play through stuff better than others.   Not everybody recovers or adjusts the same way.

I do not think it’s that big a deal for Severino to catch a 4 pm game followed by a 1 pm game.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This whole discussion seems to have gone off on a tangent.   It doesn’t really matter to me whether baseball players have it better or worse than athletes in the other sports.    It’s still true that baseball is a grind and playing with various little injuries can add up when you are playing in essence 6 out of every 7 days on average.    Some guys play through stuff better than others.   Not everybody recovers or adjusts the same way.

I do not think it’s that big a deal for Severino to catch a 4 pm game followed by a 1 pm game.     

Which is why you see a lot of backup catchers catching on Sundays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Which is why you see a lot of backup catchers catching on Sundays.

Obviously, it’s a little tougher to do 7 pm and then 1 pm back to back than it is 4 pm and 1 pm.

Yadier Molina was on the IL recently, but before the injury he had started 49 of 53 games at catcher.   To that point, he had caught every Saturday and Sunday of the season back to back.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

 

No way he could possibly be traded?  Even for peanuts?  Eat all the salary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

No way he could possibly be traded?  Even for peanuts?  Eat all the salary?

Nah, more like Trumbo wanting to show he has something left in the tank to get a spring training invite next year. Or perhaps Trumbo trying to see if his body can still withstand the rigors of playing baseball. 

I can't see anyway Trumbo gets traded in the next week. He has zero trade value right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Nah, more like Trumbo wanting to show he has something left in the tank to get a spring training invite next year. Or perhaps Trumbo trying to see if his body can still withstand the rigors of playing baseball. 

I can't see anyway Trumbo gets traded in the next week. He has zero trade value right now.

Way under zero.

The O's could pay his whole salary and ask for nothing back and not have any takers.  Right now he's not worth a slot on the 25 man roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Way under zero.

The O's could pay his whole salary and ask for nothing back and not have any takers.  Right now he's not worth a slot on the 25 man roster.

Yeah if anything I was underselling it. A slow plodding player who can probably only be a DH, except his bat no longer plays well enough to be a DH. Trumbo should seriously consider retirement with his knee problems. He  is going to have enough trouble walking around as it is without any additional wear and tear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The O's will allow him to rehab in the minors  but I don't know  if he  makes it to playing for the O's.   Not if Nunez stays healthy.   The O's ate a lot of money to trade Cashner.   They could eat the last two months or so of Trumbo's contract rather than take playing time away from younger players.    There is nothing for the O's to gain by playing him.   

They could release him and see if anyone else wants him for nothing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...