Sign in to follow this  
ArtVanDelay

The Subpar Six

Looking at some names on our box score tonight.  Davis, Broxton, Martin, Ortiz, Straily, Rogers.  Has there been a worse sextet in recent MLB history?

We heard about the Yankees' Core Four for years, and wished that we could have our own group of home grown stars.  

Step in, The Subpar Six.  Here to make sure we get multiple #1 picks to build a Core Four of our own.  Let's remember these guys when we're celebrating our World Series win in 2026.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I understand this is a rebuild but this is getting down right embarrassing. How about a new pitching coach for starters? 

You can't polish a turd into a diamond.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I can understand why Martin is on the team. As for the other five...

Ortiz and Rodgers will,probably be gone tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I understand this is a rebuild but this is getting down right embarrassing. How about a new pitching coach for starters? 

What would a new pitching coach do with this staff? This is hands down the worst group of baseball players that I've ever seen assembled together. I'm not sure if there's a pitching coach alive that could get anything better from this group.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Ortiz and Rodgers will,probably be gone tomorrow.

I would think so. But I wish the other three will be gone tomorrow with them. I think it is in the team's best interests to waive Davis and Straily. DFA Broxton.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You can't polish a turd into a diamond.

I generally agree but I don't think Brocail is the answer. Rangers fans hated him when he was their pitching coach. Martin Perez got progressively worse every year while Cole Hamels had the worst seasons of his career with Brocail as their pitching coach. Ir's also pretty damning how the Rangers were dead last in strikeouts/9 in all three seasons with Brocail while this season their SO/9 has zoomed up to eighth in the AL. Teaching pitchers to pitch to contact is a pitching philosophy that will never be effective as long as the Orioles play their home games at Camden Yards. 

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Ortiz and Rodgers have Era’s over a touchdown in AAA and you think it is the major league pitching coaches fault.  Strally got released by one of worst teams in baseball and you want to blame Brocail.  None of those three have any business in the majors this season if we had any depth they would be cut. I still can’t gigure out why Ramirez got released and those three didn’t.  Not that I think he is a nugget but he atleast wasn’t embarrassing in AAA and the majors.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

You don’t suppose the difference may be as simple as the Texas Rangers replaced one list:

Alex Claudio*

Austin Bibens-Dirkx

Bartolo Colon

Cole Hamels*

Doug Fister

Jake Diekman*

Martin Perez*

Matt Moore*

Yovani Gallardo

Replaced by:

Adrian Sampson

Brett Martin*

Drew Smyly*

Jeanmar Gomez

Jeffrey Springs*

Kyle Dowdy

Lance Lynn

Shawn Kelley

Shelby Miller

and not the Pitching Coach???

7 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I generally agree but I don't think Brocail is the answer. Rangers fans hated him when he was their pitching coach. Martin Perez got progressively worse every year while Cole Hamels had the worst seasons of his career with Brocail as their pitching coach. Ir's also pretty damning how the Rangers were dead last in strikeouts/9 in all three seasons with Brocail while this season their SO/9 has zoomed up to eighth in the AL. Teaching pitchers to pitch to contact is a pitching philosophy that will never be effective as long as the Orioles play their home games at Camden Yards. 

You think Mike Elias hired a pitching coach that's teaching the staff to pitch to contact?  That's the exact opposite of his philosophy. 

Have you ever coached any kind of sport?  Did the players you're coaching always get results exactly as you wanted?  Remember Leo Mazzone?

Mazzone: "Cabrera, just throw the ball six inches off the outside corner."
Cabrera: "Sure, coach" (Hits batter in rear end)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

You don’t suppose the difference may be as simple as the Texas Rangers replaced one list:

and not the Pitching Coach???

It's always the pitching coach, not the players.  And when in doubt, fire him because nothing sets up a winning development atmosphere like chaos and inconsistency.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

What? Gonna coach 'em up?