Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Ryan Conroy 2019

Not a top prospect, but an interesting debut . Ryan Conroy (8th round pick in 2018) is getting the bump up to Delmarva from Extended Spring Training and is starting today. 

He was a 90-92mph sinkerballer in college with a sharp slider that has a chance to be a plus pitch with improved command. He pitched very well in relief for Aberdeen last year. 

I decided this guy’s start on Opening Night for Aberdeen was so impressive, he deserved his own thread.    7 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 12 K’s, on a tidy 84 pitches.    

Our 8th rounder out of Elon College last year, Conroy pitched very effectively in relief for the Shorebirds last summer, throwing to a 2.70 ERA, 1.32 WHIP and 10.3 K/9, racking up 6 saves in 6 chances.   

This year, he debuted May 15 in Delmarva, making one start (not great) and one long relief appearance (very good) before making two decent relief appearances at Frederick, and then starting yesterday’s game at Aberdeen.   

It’s a little unclear to me what the plan for Conroy is for this summer. Is he destined to start for Aberdeen all season, or is he just keeping a spot warm until some of the 2019 signees are on board, then going back to Delmarva or Frederick?   If there are pitching promotions from the Delmarva rotation, Conroy looks like a plausible candidate to fill a spot there, based on last night’s performance.  

• Upvote 1

PS - I just saw there is another thread with an identical title that Luke started back on May 15.    Mods please feel free to merge them.  

He dominated with a split-finger pitch. Got most of Ks with that pitch but pounded the zone with both his fastball and split-finger. Struck out 7 of the first 9 batters he faced.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

So I saw Ryan Conroy pitch tonight, and I was fairly impressed. He actually pitched better than his very good line (6.2, 3 hits, 2 ER, 8Ks) because he gave up a bunt hit and a swinging bunt hit. Only one legit single before the reliever (Perkins) came in and let two inherited runners score.

Mostly fastball/slider guy, though he mixed in at least one pitch that I believe was a split. Got a strikeout on it in a big moment early. He uses his slider a lot, which comes in around 85 with some quick, late bite. Fastball looks to be pretty average, sitting mostly 92 or so, but the Lowell club did have trouble turning it around.

The two pitch feature does point to a relief profile, in which you’d like to see him add a few ticks up into the mid-90s. Regardless, I wouldn’t move him to the pen just yet, especially if he could hone that third pitch. Either way, I’d like to see him moved up to Delmarva, though I know there already aren’t enough starts to go around there.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

So I saw Ryan Conroy pitch tonight, and I was fairly impressed. He actually pitched better than his very good line (6.2, 3 hits, 2 ER, 8Ks) because he gave up a bunt hit and a swinging bunt hit. Only one legit single before the reliever (Perkins) came in and let two inherited runners score.

Mostly fastball/slider guy, though he mixed in at least one pitch that I believe was a split. Got a strikeout on it in a big moment early. He uses his slider a lot, which comes in around 85 with some quick, late bite. Fastball looks to be pretty average, sitting mostly 92 or so, but the Lowell club did have trouble turning it around.

The two pitch feature does point to a relief profile, in which you’d like to see him add a few ticks up into the mid-90s. Regardless, I wouldn’t move him to the pen just yet, especially if he could hone that third pitch. Either way, I’d like to see him moved up to Delmarva, though I know there already aren’t enough starts to go around there.

Thanks for the report, that's pretty congruent with what I've seen from him. It's a two seam fastball and a above average slider. I agree it'd be interesting at 95 with perhaps a plus slider in relief. He's got a pretty good pitcher's frame and some athleticism. 

• Upvote 2

He deserved better.   Had only allowed 1 hit through 6 IP.    Got two outs in the 7th, then yielded his second hit of that inning and got pulled.    Perkins came in and promptly gave up a three-run dinger.   Aaaaarrrggghhh!