Jump to content
Legend_Of_Joey

David Hess optioned (recalled)

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Have to wonder if this move isn’t twofold. Let Hess get his confidence back and also they aren’t quite ready to ditch the idea of him being a starter.  

He will not be starting.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I haven't really been following the waiver wire that closely but it seems like there are usually guys out there that are better than what we currently have.  We do have waiver priority in the AL.  

We have waiver priority in the NL too; the tiebreaker is winning percentage regardless of league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dale said:

We have waiver priority in the NL too; the tiebreaker is winning percentage regardless of league

Per  Rob Neyer, here are the rules on "waiver priority":
"....If the club doesn't withdraw the waiver request, the player's contract is assigned in the following manner:
(A) If only one claim is entered, the player's contract is assigned to that claiming club.
(B) If more than one club in the same league makes claims, the club currently lower in the standings gets the player.
(C) If clubs in both leagues claim the player, preference shall always go to the club in the same league as the club requesting waivers.
There are other, more esoteric rules involved here. For example, during the first 30 days of the season, the previous season's final standings are used to determine claim order, rather than the current standings....."

http://assets.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I had a fun daydream yesterday where the O’s purchase the contracts of AAA veterans that have toiled but never got a call up— Aaron Northcraft, Bengie Gonzalez, Brian Moran... give some guys a chance to live a dream.

I like this - and we can call it the "Little Yaz Effect" if they suddenly do ok for a short stint!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AZRon said:

Per  Rob Neyer, here are the rules on "waiver priority":
"....If the club doesn't withdraw the waiver request, the player's contract is assigned in the following manner:
(A) If only one claim is entered, the player's contract is assigned to that claiming club.
(B) If more than one club in the same league makes claims, the club currently lower in the standings gets the player.
(C) If clubs in both leagues claim the player, preference shall always go to the club in the same league as the club requesting waivers.
There are other, more esoteric rules involved here. For example, during the first 30 days of the season, the previous season's final standings are used to determine claim order, rather than the current standings....."

http://assets.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

PROCEDURE FOR AWARDING OF WAIVER CLAIMS (TYPE OF WAIVERS):

Per Arizona Phil

https://www.thecubreporter.com/awarding-waiver-claims


If a player is claimed by only one club, that club is awarded the claim. If more than one club makes a claim, the club with the lowest winning percentage (regardless of league) either from the previous season (beginning on the day after the conclusion of the MLB regular season through the 30th day of the MLB regular season) or on the day the player clears waivers (beginning on the 31st day of the MLB regular season through the last day of the MLB regular season) is awarded the claim. If two clubs with the same winning percentage make a claim, the club in the player's own league is awarded the claim. If two clubs from the same league make a claim and they are tied in the standings, the club with the lowest winning percentage from the previous season is awarded the claim. If the clubs are still tied, standings from two years back (or three years back, four years back, etc) are used to break the tie.

 

Looks like we need a tiebreaker!  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dale said:

PROCEDURE FOR AWARDING OF WAIVER CLAIMS (TYPE OF WAIVERS):

Per Arizona Phil

https://www.thecubreporter.com/awarding-waiver-claims


If a player is claimed by only one club, that club is awarded the claim. If more than one club makes a claim, the club with the lowest winning percentage (regardless of league) either from the previous season (beginning on the day after the conclusion of the MLB regular season through the 30th day of the MLB regular season) or on the day the player clears waivers (beginning on the 31st day of the MLB regular season through the last day of the MLB regular season) is awarded the claim. If two clubs with the same winning percentage make a claim, the club in the player's own league is awarded the claim. If two clubs from the same league make a claim and they are tied in the standings, the club with the lowest winning percentage from the previous season is awarded the claim. If the clubs are still tied, standings from two years back (or three years back, four years back, etc) are used to break the tie.

 

Looks like we need a tiebreaker!  

OK -- your source was current; mine was not. The rule was modified as of 2019. Thanks

https://registration.mlbpa.org/pdf/MajorLeagueRules.pdf

Per Rule 10(c):

(3) Assignment of Player. If a waiver claim is made, the contract shall be assigned in the following manner:
(A) If only one claim is entered, assignment shall be made to that claiming Club.
(B) If more than one Club makes a claim, assignment shall be to the Club with the lowest winning percentage among the claiming Clubs, without regard to the League of the claiming Clubs.
During the first 30 days of a championship season (as determined by the date of the first game scheduled for either Major League in that season, excluding international openers), percentages of games won at the close of the preceding championship season, without regard to post-season results, shall be used instead of the current championship season percentages of games won. At all other times during the championship season, percentages of games won shall be based on the result of play through the date prior to the expiration of the claiming period.
During the off-season, the final percentages of games won at the close of the last preceding championship season shall control, without regard to post-season results.
If two or more claiming Clubs are tied with the lowest percentage of games won, the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee shall make the award
(i) to the tied Club that is in the same League as the Club making the waiver request; or,
(ii) if the tied Clubs are in the same League, then to the tied Club with the lower percentage of games won at the close of the prior championship season, without regard to post-season results. If the tied Clubs had an identical percentage of games won at the close of the preceding championship season, the award shall be made to the tied Club with the lower percentage of games won in the next prior championship season, without regard to post-season results, with any remaining ties resolved by continuing to examine the tied Clubs’ respective championship season winning percentages in each preceding prior year, until the tie is broken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry should have included the reference.  Obviously, the rule change is good news for the Orioles. Happy waiver wire hunting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, weams said:

 

He has pitched well in his last four outings for the Tides, 11 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 14 K’s in a relief role.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Philip said:

So Hess returns. Who is he replacing? He is replacing whom?

Lucas was sent down after the game last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

Lucas

I didn’t even know Lucas was up. Now he’s down.

And so it goes with the ‘19 O’s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...