orpheus100

Last year's team was better

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This year’s team has zero expectations and they are supposed to be this bad.  Orioles were trying to contend for a playoff spot last season and had the core of the 2016 team before the fire sale. 

2018 always will be the worst season in franchise history at least until a new low is reached. 

This year is the new low.  Putting out a triple a team and being worst team in the league is worse than good,players,having bad years.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

This year is the new low.  Putting out a triple a team and being worst team in the league is worse than good,players,having bad years.

Not going to entertain that conversation unless the 2019 Orioles win less than 47 games. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not going to entertain that conversation unless the 2019 Orioles win less than 47 games. 

Since the first five games of the year has been on a 41 win pace.i doubt they win 47:games.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Really?   You'd rather watch a team with Manny, Britton, Brach, Schoop, Gausman, O'Day, Showalter, and company still manage to play under .300 baseball, knowing they would all be gone in less than two years?

Agree to disagree.

I think the difference is that last year, the talent level of the guys who were terrible was much higher than that of the guys who are terrible this year.

Watching good players be embarrassingly bad is worse than watching bad players be embarrassingly bad, although the end result is still embarrassingly bad

• Upvote 1

Heard on the radio today:

1.   Only three teams this century have reached 50 losses faster than the 2019 Orioles.

2.   Two of those three teams also were the Orioles.    

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

1.   Only three teams this century have reached 50 losses faster than the 2019 Orioles.

The century is young! There will be other teams too, if this season's trend of an increasing number of inadequate franchises and the strategy of rebuilding through high draft picks continues.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

orioles-fans-bag-over-head.jpg

9 hours ago, atomic said:

How so? The worst part of this season is yet again the underperformance of a formerly "good player," not the surprises occasionally presented by unheralded players like Means and Severino.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who was the third?

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Hows so? The worst part of this season is yet again the underperformance of a formerly "good player," not the surprises occasionally presented by unheralded players like Means and Severino.

Davis or Cobb?

I'd vote Cobb since I was hopeful they could get someone to take his salary.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

orioles-fans-bag-over-head.jpg

I remember! It was worse then than even now, somehow. I suppose because there was no sense of a good plan for the future.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That made me laugh. And the 2003 Tigers?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis or Cobb?

I'd vote Cobb since I was hopeful they could get someone to take his salary.

I'd say Davis, because we have to regularly witness the horror and the media went bonkers over his hitless streak, melding the image of the franchise to his pathetic performance and erasing memories of earlier accomplishments.

Cobb has been off the active roster, out of mind, has attracted no humiliating national media coverage, and isn't in the rotation anymore epitomizing the state of the team.

Just now, LA2 said:

I'd say Davis, because we have to regularly witness the horror and the media went bonkers over his hitless streak, melding the image of the franchise to his pathetic performance and erasing memories of earlier accomplishments.

Cobb has been off the active roster, out of mind, has attracted no humiliating national media coverage, and isn't in the rotation anymore epitomizing the state of the team.

But I don't think Davis is underperforming this year.  I think he's actually improved from where he was at this point in the season last year.  With Cobb you at least had some hope he could still play.