orpheus100

Last year's team was better

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, whether or not this year's team is slightly better or slightly worse than last year's team is not that important ........ I believe what matters most is how the numerous pitching prospects that are pitching extremely well at both the lower and upper levels of the Minors develops over the next 2 to 3 years, and/or how well the position players in the upper levels of the Minors and the ones who have played a little bit of Major League ball (Santander, Sisco, Hays, Stewart, etc) pan out as Major Leaguers in 2020 and beyond ......... and of course, how the players whom are already established in the Majors (Mancini, Bundy, Means, and Cobb if he comes back next year) continue to produce.

o

Yep. Anyone notice the improved k/9 rate of our minor league guys? Not a coincidence with Elias and Sig...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

We lost Manny, Schoop, Jones and Gausman. I would expect worse.

And Britton, Brach, and last season's second-half Hess, plus none of the expected lift from Cobb and Mullins. Somehow we're not worse, which shows that baseball is not linear.

33 minutes ago, LA2 said:

And Britton, Brach, and last season's second-half Hess, plus none of the expected lift from Cobb and Mullins. Somehow we're not worse, which shows that baseball is not linear.

At this time last year, our team (also 21-51) was -112 runs (258-370).    This year’s team has an identical record but is -152 runs (286-438).   The offense actually has been slightly better than last year, but the pitching has been way worse.    Mostly, it’s the bullpen, which was disappointing last year, unspeakably bad this year.   

But it is still tough to win less then 50 games in back to back seasons in a 162 game schedule. I  could not find a team that has done that. Maybe it has been but I could not find it. When the Tigers won only 43 games  ,the prior year won 55 and the next year won 72 games. Astros in the rebuild never won less then 51 games. Mets expansion year won 40 . Next year won 51 games. Never again won less then 50 games. So even though less talent then last year,tough to have another team win less then 50.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But it is still tough to win less then 50 games in back to back seasons in a 162 game schedule. I  could not find a team that has done that. Maybe it has been but I could not find it. When the Tigers won only 43 games  ,the prior year won 55 and the next year won 72 games. Astros in the rebuild never won less then 51 games. Mets expansion year won 40 . Next year won 51 games. Never again won less then 50 games. So even though less talent then last year,tough to have another team win less then 50.

Yeah I have said this before about the worst back to back seasons. You are looking at the worst team of all time here folks. It took a lot to get here.  Bad trades last season and bad luck last year.  GM who is incompetent this year.  Pythagorean last year was a lot better than the record.  This year it is right where it should be.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

We are much worse though.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Yeah I have said this before about the worst back to back seasons. You are looking at the worst team of all time here folks. It took a lot to get here.  Bad trades last season and bad luck last year.  GM who is incompetent this year.  Pythagorean last year was a lot better than the record.  This year it is right where it should be.

Predecessor of St. Louis Cardinals
St. Louis Browns 1897 29-102-2 .221
St. Louis Browns 1898 39-111-4 .260

Predecessor of Oakland Athletics
Philadelphia Athletics 1915 43-109-2 .283
Philadelphia Athletics 1916 36-117-1 .235

Philadelphia Athletics 1919 36-104-0 .257    
Philadelphia Athletics 1920 48-106-2 .312

Predecessor of Minnesota Twins
Washington Senators 1903 43-94-3  .314    
Washington Senators 1904 38-113-6 .252

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Predecessor of St. Louis Cardinals
St. Louis Browns 1897 29-102-2 .221
St. Louis Browns 1898 39-111-4 .260

Predecessor of Oakland Athletics
Philadelphia Athletics 1915 43-109-2 .283
Philadelphia Athletics 1916 36-117-1 .235

Philadelphia Athletics 1919 36-104-0 .257    
Philadelphia Athletics 1920 48-106-2 .312

Predecessor of Minnesota Twins
Washington Senators 1903 43-94-3  .314    
Washington Senators 1904 38-113-6 .252

I look at it with the 162 schedule. You are correct that there has been worse. I think the Mets record is in jeopardy this season. There's not a team that this team is even with, much less better than.

22 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I look at it with the 162 schedule. You are correct that there has been worse. I think the Mets record is in jeopardy this season. There's not a team that this team is even with, much less better than.

When you say the Mets’ record is in jeopardy, which record is that?   40 wins in a season, or 91 wins in two seasons?    Personally I don’t think we’ll break either one, though I certainly can’t rule it out at this stage.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

When you say the Mets’ record is in jeopardy, which record is that?   40 wins in a season, or 91 wins in two seasons?    Personally I don’t think we’ll break either one, though I certainly can’t rule it out at this stage.  

The 122 loss season. I hope you are right, and I'm wrong but I just don't see it 

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

The 122 loss season. I hope you are right, and I'm wrong but I just don't see it 

The team is 21-51 now (.292).    To finish worse than the Mets, they’d have to go 19-71 (.211) the rest of the way.   

By the way, the Mets didn’t lose 122 games, they lost 120.    They only played 160 games — presumably a couple of rainouts that the league didn’t bother making up.    So, the record I projected above would be 40-122, worse than the Mets’ 40-120.    If the O’s went 41-121, I’d argue that was a slightly better record than 40-120 since the winning percentage would be better (.253 vs. .250).   

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The 122-loss season. I hope that you are right and I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

o

The Mets lost 120 games that year.

They had 2 rain-outs.

o