wildcard

Joey Rickard DFA and LHP Sean Gilmartin added to the roster

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/orioles-wont-leave-their-tender-moments-alone.html

Gilmartin is not eligible for arbitration as Roch stated.  He began  2018 with 1.073 service time.   Even if he stayed in the majors all year he would only have 2.073  service time would  not be enough to be eligible for a Super 2.

Rickard probably begins ST as a RF or 4th OFer.    Trumbo may not be ready to start the season because of surgery.   That puts Davis and Mancini at 1B/DH.  Stewart in left. Mullins in CF and Rickard in right.   Hays and Diaz will try to win an OF spot in ST but its probably not likely. Rickard still has options and is not arbitration eligible just to be clear.

The O's don't have a lot to trade to bring back front line talent so they probably have to go with what they have.  FA will have to be cheap, cheap, cheap.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/orioles-wont-leave-their-tender-moments-alone.html

Gilmartin is not eligible for arbitration as Roch stated.  He began  2018 with 1.073 service time.   Even if he stayed in the majors all year he would only have 2.073  service time would  not be enough to be eligible for a Super 2.

Rickard probably begins ST as a RF or 4th OFer.    Trumbo may not be ready to start the season because of surgery.   That puts Davis and Mancini at 1B/DH.  Stewart in left. Mullins in CF and Rickard in right.   Hays and Diaz will try to win an OF spot in ST but its probably not likely. Rickard still has options and is not arbitration eligible just to be clear.

The O's don't have a lot to trade to bring back front line talent so they probably have to go with what they have.  FA will have to be cheap, cheap, cheap.

I don't see how Rickard can honestly beat out both Hays and Diaz for a starting job.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how Rickard can honestly beat out both Hays and Diaz for a starting job.

Simply.  If the new GM and manager want to see Hays and Diaz spend some time at AAA, they will not make the opening day lineup for the O's.  Rickard is a cheap stop gap player with options.   Frobby philosophy is nomally that he likes to see players spend some time at AAA.   New mgt might also.

Personally I like to see guys fight it out in ST to win a roster spot.  

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Simply.  If the new GM and manager want to see Hays and Diaz spend some time at AAA, they will not make the opening day lineup for the O's.  Rickard is a cheap stop gap player with options.   Frobby philosophy is nomally that he likes to see players spend some time at AAA.   New mgt might also.

New management might follow Can of Corn's philosophy that AAA is mostly a holding pen for warm bodies.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't care for the comments on Roch's blog.  I think neither of those people are worthy of 40 man slots. 

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It's not a "New GM and manager." It's whoever  is in complete charge of the Baseball Ops.  This is not a "we have a highly paid manager in place that has my father's ear" situation this go round. 

9 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If Craig Gentry is hired as player-manager, Joey is screwed.

I'd wager that the manager hired this time will have less corporate power in the org than Gentry had. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Austin Hays? He of a .235/.266/.410 - .676 OPS in 2018 across A- and AA with injuries? Why should he be starting the season in any capacity for the Orioles to start 2019? Diaz you could make a case, although it wouldn't shock me to see them give him more seasoning.

That said, I don't think much of Rickard. So it's a moot point, really.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Austin Hays? He of a .235/.266/.410 - .676 OPS in 2018 across A- and AA with injuries? Why should he be starting the season in any capacity for the Orioles to start 2019? Diaz you could make a case, although it wouldn't shock me to see them give him more seasoning.

That said, I don't think much of Rickard. So it's a moot point, really.

Because the results were probably more a result of injuries than talent level.

If healthy he deserves a look and he's already on the 40.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see it either. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Because the results were probably more a result of injuries than talent level.

If healthy he deserves a look and he's already on the 40.

I guess we'll find out how he does in the AFL. Health is important and having shoulder/ankle issues and a late surgery in September makes me think they're better off taking it slow with him. No reason to rush him or gift him a starting spot at the beginning of the season.

9 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I guess we'll find out how he does in the AFL. Health is important and having shoulder/ankle issues and a late surgery in September makes me think they're better off taking it slow with him. No reason to rush him or gift him a starting spot at the beginning of the season.

Who said they should gift him anything?

11 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

He’s not going to the AFL.