Aristotelian

Is This the Bottom?

The schedule gets super easy starting a week from Friday.   I still think we'll win over 50 games,.

Now if we continue to lose to KC that could change the outlook.   But before last night (before the 6th inning last night), nothing I had seen since we finished the 16-15 stretch was all that surprising, other than the magnitude of the Yankee beatdowns.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I don't care if we lose out. I want that #1 pick and position ourselves to draft a legitimate #1 ace for the future.

The draft is pretty deep at the top according to ESPN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26923672/the-2020-mlb-draft-class-stacked-here-names-know%3fplatform=amp

Personally for me as a fan, turning on the game just to see if the Orioles were actually still playing and seeing that we had made it into the 12th up by one run and then watching a pitcher I had no idea was even on the roster walk in a run and then give up and walk off grand slam is pretty much rock bottom.    

I know we have a long way to go and one game is meaningless but that was just depressing    

9 hours ago, murph said:

Personally for me as a fan, turning on the game just to see if the Orioles were actually still playing and seeing that we had made it into the 12th up by one run and then watching a pitcher I had no idea was even on the roster walk in a run and then give up and walk off grand slam is pretty much rock bottom.    

I know we have a long way to go and one game is meaningless but that was just depressing    

Think of the poor fans who actually watched Michael Givens blow the save in the bottom of the ninth with the O's up 3-2 with two outs.  We feel for you!  😉 *

*p s  at least it wasn't Hunter Harvey blowing the W  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Definitely one of the worst losses of the season. https://www.camdenchat.com/2019/9/14/20866368/mlb-scores-orioles-tigers-recap

However, W/L stands at .324, which is still well off the bottom of June. My call in June was that Cashner would win that game and we would end up over .300. Barring disaster, looks like that will happen.

10 hours ago, murph said:

Well at least no one got injured (I think). That always makes even a ridiculous loss like today even worse. I would wonder how Fry or Eades can hold their heads up in the clubhouse afterwards (especially toward each other!) or look their manager or coach in the eye. Jeesh. It's almost like one of our 1st-draft-pick fetishists hypnotized them from a seat behind home plate.

I'm reminded of the year where we swept a meaningless series against the Yankees on the final weekend, ensuring the Nationals would get the #1 pick to select Harper or Strasburg (can't remember which).

IMO, in some respects this team (more importantly, the franchise) is better than last years team, I don't need to see a significant improvement in wins and losses to feel positive about the future.

I'd really like us to get the #1 pick next year.  I won't be whining about having #2 but I'd still like us to be able to take the first player if a consensus #1 emerges by draft day 2020.

52 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm reminded of the year where we swept a meaningless series against the Yankees on the final weekend, ensuring the Nationals would get the #1 pick to select Harper or Strasburg (can't remember which).

IMO, in some respects this team (more importantly, the franchise) is better than last years team, I don't need to see a significant improvement in wins and losses to feel positive about the future.

I'd really like us to get the #1 pick next year.  I won't be whining about having #2 but I'd still like us to be able to take the first player if a consensus #1 emerges by draft day 2020.

I thought that was the 2000 season that sweep happened, because people still hold on to potentially losing out on drafting Mark T.

The last time the orioles swept the Yankees in the final series was 2015.  The sweep was needed to get to .500 Ball

Since 2008 to present the Orioles have only ended the Regular Season playing the Yankees in 2016 and 2015.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I thought that was the 2000 season that sweep happened, because people still hold on to potentially losing out on drafting Mark T.

You might be right, but I am pretty sure at one point we had a shot at Strasburg/Harper, too.  Maybe we didn't beat the Yankees on the final weekend to lose it but I'm pretty sure we beat a team and screwed ourselves out of one of those two.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You might be right, but I am pretty sure at one point we had a shot at Strasburg/Harper, too.  Maybe we didn't beat the Yankees on the final weekend to lose it but I'm pretty sure we beat a team and screwed ourselves out of one of those two.

Nats lost 103 in 2009 (O's lost 98).  Nats lost 102 in 2008 (O's lost 93).  I don't think the O's have ever picked second overall.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nats lost 103 in 2009 (O's lost 98).  Nats lost 102 in 2008 (O's lost 93).  I don't think the O's have ever picked second overall.

Well at least the franchise has finally caught up to the Nats in back to back 100 loss seasons!  😍

18 hours ago, murph said:

Personally for me as a fan, turning on the game just to see if the Orioles were actually still playing, and seeing that we had made it into the 12th up by one run, and then watching a pitcher I had no idea was even on the roster walk in a run and then give up and walk-off grand-slam is pretty much rock bottom.    

I know that we have a long way to go and one game is meaningless, but that was just depressing.    

o

The Orioles are 1-0 since they hit bottom.

o