Sign in to follow this  
Three Run Homer

Johnny Rizer 2019

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta like the Rizer, and Welk, signed early.  They came to play. They lead the team in PA and OPS. 

They certainly have started off real good. Welk has quite the hit tool, but limited power so far.

1 hour ago, oceanicvoyage said:

There was a thread about a good JUCO/community college coach signing with the O's to be the hitting coach at Aberdeen. Do you think the early success of Rizer (Welk and others as well) has to do with that coach, good drafting, or just being old for the league? Or all of those things? 

Here’s an article on hitting coach Tom Eller from the start of Aberdeen’s season.   https://www.cecildaily.com/spotlight/elkton-s-tom-eller-settling-in-as-ironbirds-hitting-coach/article_0a1e9c54-b65e-50bd-bab5-0dbadc9bfcdb.html

Someone pointed out in the draft thread that Craig lewis, was is hitting over .400 in GCL, just got the promotion to aberdeen. I am hoping this means a corresponding promotion for Mr. Rizer!

5 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Someone pointed out in the draft thread that Craig lewis, was is hitting over .400 in GCL, just got the promotion to aberdeen. I am hoping this means a corresponding promotion for Mr. Rizer!

Lewis, Fontana, and Kehe (must be injured) all seem like possibilities for Delmarva's OF next year but that would mean jumping Stowers, Watson, and/or Rizer to Frederick.

31 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

It appears that he's a late riser - in comparison to Lewis.  

5 hours ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

So... if you're working with a genie, does he owe you any more wishes?

Rizer 2 for 4 tonight with a triple and a walk. His line through 15 games at Delmarva sits at .333/.394/.400.

26 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Rizer 2 for 4 tonight with a triple and a walk. His line through 15 games at Delmarva sits at .333/.394/.400.

Does he start at Frederick next year?

19 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Does he start at Frederick next year?

I think he probably should as he will be 23. A 2020 Frederick outfield with Jaylen Ferguson in center, and Doran Torchin, Robert Neustrom and Rizer at the corner outfield spots and occasional DH makes sense to me.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Didn't Rizer play center in college? What's the word on his defense?

He hasn't played center yet in Delmarva, though he did in Aberdeen. Horvath and Watson have covered CF since Rizer has been at Delmarva. Watson is the other real candidate to start in Frederick next year as he was a third round pick out of college but he hasn't done a ton with the bat at either Aberdeen or Delmarva so I'm not sure he has earned it. I am also curious to hear what scouts think of Rizer's defense.

Hit his first Delmarva home run tonight. .307/.358/.420 through three plate appearances tonight in his 22nd game with Delmarva.