Jump to content
interloper

Cody Carroll's back injury is actually a disc issue

Recommended Posts

Buried in Roch's post about Rogers most likely getting TJS is the revelation that Cody Carroll's back injury is disc-related (or "disk" as Roch says).

That's a pretty big bummer honestly. The Os could really use him, even if he's not all that great. It also means that 3 pitchers from last year's trades are seriously injured (Pop, Rogers, Carroll).

No word on timeline or rehab process. 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/06/rogers-likely-to-undergo-elbow-surgery.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, interloper said:

Buried in Roch's post about Rogers most likely getting TJS is the revelation that Cody Carroll's back injury is disc-related (or "disk" as Roch says).

That's a pretty big bummer honestly. The Os could really use him, even if he's not all that great. It also means that 3 pitchers from last year's trades are seriously injured (Pop, Rogers, Carroll).

No word on timeline or rehab process. 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/06/rogers-likely-to-undergo-elbow-surgery.html

I feel real bad for these guys that they are hurt. I wouldn’t be too upset about the trades because most of the guys we acquired in all the trades, were guys that we got mainly because they were going to have to be protected on 40 man rosters.  

Rogers will get put on the 60 day DL and then be DFAd in November. 

Carrol might suffer the same fate. If he’s missing time into next year then I think he will be DFAd. 

Pop will stick. Young guy. Hopefully he’ll pitch some at the end of next year. 

Tate better continue his recent success in Bowie’s pen or he might be DFAd this November. 

Ortiz probably has a little more leeway than Tate. Based on previous success and not being used strictly as a reliever yet. 

Zimmerman, Cumberland, Diaz - will all be on the 40 man this November. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So of the 3 pitchers Orioles got from the Yanks in the Britton giveaway, 1 needs TJ surgery and the other 2 cannot get anyone out.  A marvelous trade that was, for the Yanks as usual.  And no, I am not going to try to sugar coat it.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

So of the 3 pitchers Orioles got from the Yanks in the Britton giveaway, 1 needs TJ surgery and the other 2 cannot get anyone out.  A marvelous trade that was, for the Yanks as usual.  And no, I am not going to try to sugar coat it.  

We weren’t going to get that much for a two-month rental guy who had been hurt for much of the year and had only pitched so-so when he returned.    

By the way, Dillon Tate has been looking pretty good in a relief role at Bowie.   In his last three outings spanning 4 innings, he hasn’t allowed a baserunner.   Since returning to Bowie in early June, he’s allowed 2 runs in 9.2 relief innings and has an 0.52 WHIP.    It’s too early to declare he’s now a top prospect, but that’s significant progress.   

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

So of the 3 pitchers Orioles got from the Yanks in the Britton giveaway, 1 needs TJ surgery and the other 2 cannot get anyone out.  A marvelous trade that was, for the Yanks as usual.  And no, I am not going to try to sugar coat it.  

Crazy thing is that the Orioles nixed a deal from the Astros the previous year because there were medical issues with one of the players they were sending back. But Colin Moran and injured AA OF would have still been a better package than the players the O's got back from the Yankees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

So of the 3 pitchers Orioles got from the Yanks in the Britton giveaway, 1 needs TJ surgery and the other 2 cannot get anyone out.  A marvelous trade that was, for the Yanks as usual.  And no, I am not going to try to sugar coat it.  

 I don’t think it was a good one for the Yankees so much it was a terrible one for the guys who were making the decisions for the Orioles. All those trades were inexplicable at the time and have only gotten worse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I feel real bad for these guys that they are hurt. I wouldn’t be too upset about the trades because most of the guys we acquired in all the trades, were guys that we got mainly because they were going to have to be protected on 40 man rosters.  

Rogers will get put on the 60 day DL and then be DFAd in November. 

Carrol might suffer the same fate. If he’s missing time into next year then I think he will be DFAd. 

Pop will stick. Young guy. Hopefully he’ll pitch some at the end of next year. 

Tate better continue his recent success in Bowie’s pen or he might be DFAd this November. 

Ortiz probably has a little more leeway than Tate. Based on previous success and not being used strictly as a reliever yet. 

Zimmerman, Cumberland, Diaz - will all be on the 40 man this November. 

They have to be put on the 40 man or be exposed to the rule five draft, but I don’t think anybody is going to take Cody Carroll in the rule five draft, especially if he is injured, nor Rogers.

When that deadline approaches there will be a lively discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We weren’t going to get that much for a two-month rental guy who had been hurt for much of the year and had only pitched so-so when he returned.    

By the way, Dillon Tate has been looking pretty good in a relief role at Bowie.   In his last three outings spanning 4 innings, he hasn’t allowed a baserunner.   Since returning to Bowie in early June, he’s allowed 2 runs in 9.2 relief innings and has an 0.52 WHIP.    It’s too early to declare he’s now a top prospect, but that’s significant progress.   

Agreed, it's not like Britton really helped our cause with his injury / poor performance. There's no good reason why he wasn't trade the year prior though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

So of the 3 pitchers Orioles got from the Yanks in the Britton giveaway, 1 needs TJ surgery and the other 2 cannot get anyone out.  A marvelous trade that was, for the Yanks as usual.  And no, I am not going to try to sugar coat it.  

I said at the time it was a horrible trade and everyone was arguing to me about it.   Then after the season the Yankees give Britton a huge contract.  I wonder who are scouts were who approved this trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We weren’t going to get that much for a two-month rental guy who had been hurt for much of the year and had only pitched so-so when he returned.    

By the way, Dillon Tate has been looking pretty good in a relief role at Bowie.   In his last three outings spanning 4 innings, he hasn’t allowed a baserunner.   Since returning to Bowie in early June, he’s allowed 2 runs in 9.2 relief innings and has an 0.52 WHIP.    It’s too early to declare he’s now a top prospect, but that’s significant progress.   

This is not true in any shape or form. The Yankees signed him to a huge contract. If you aren't getting anything for him might as well just hold on to him. Obviously the Yankees valued him or they wouldn't have given him the huge contract.  

Second, Tate has pitched in 6 relief appearances at Bowie and given up runs in 2 of them.  He is 25 so he is old for the league.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atomic said:

This is not true in any shape or form. The Yankees signed him to a huge contract. If you aren't getting anything for him might as well just hold on to him. Obviously the Yankees valued him or they wouldn't have given him the huge contract.  

Second, Tate has pitched in 6 relief appearances at Bowie and given up runs in 2 of them.  He is 25 so he is old for the league.   

I didn’t mean to imply that Britton isn’t a good reliever.     But at the time we traded him he’d only thrown 15.2 innings all year and was carrying a 3.45 ERA.   He had 13 strikeouts vs. 10 walks, and an okay-ish 1.34 WHIP.     He did have 8 straight scoreless appearances right before we traded him, which was great timing on his part, but to any objective observer, he wasn’t at the level of dominance we saw in 2016, or even 2014-15.     And he was good, not great for the Yankees the rest of the way.

As to what the Yankees are paying him now (3/$39 mm with a $14 mm team option), it’s very good money but it’s not top closer money.    Chapman is making 5/$86 mm, Jansen is making 4/$68.6 mm, Melancon is making 4/$62 mm, Davis is making 3/$52 mm with a $15 mm option.

As to Tate, I already said it’s too early to declare he’s a top prospect.    But Orioles1940 said he “cannot get anybody out,” and at least so far, there’s hopeful news on his conversion to a reliever on that front.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...