OFFNY

vs. INDIANS, 6/29

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

It's an absolute miracle we haven't been hit by more things from space. Last time was Tunguska and that thing detonated 3-5 miles in the air and still flattened 80 million trees. If that's over a populated area, millions of people die. We now know that something caused a very rapid melting of ice two miles think that covered all of Canada about 13,000 years ago that caused global flooding, mass extinctions and sea levels to rise 400ft. It may have been caused by an impact to Greenland of which a crater was found recently.

Earth flies through space rocks all the time and we've had several near misses over the last 10 years. A solar flare didn't miss the planet by much a few years ago which would have sent us back to the stone age in the blink of an eye. The fact we care more about being able to watch TV on cell phones instead of trying to figure out how to protect ourselves from catastrophic events like this is exactly how we will go extinct. We're so stupid, really. Humans.

Meh, when it comes we will handle it, or we won’t.

However, continuing in the same vein, the most powerful part of the book “contact” is when the panelists ask Jody Foster what question she would like to ask the aliens if she is chosen to go meet them.

she answers that she would like to ask them how they got past their adolescence. Every civilization has a point where they have enough power to destroy them selves, But not enough wisdom to deal with that power.

Our civilization has the power to destroy not only our civilization, but our entire planet. It is an undecided question as to whether we have the wisdom to get past our own adolescence.

Another related comment: when Ronald Reagan was still president of California, he gave a speech at the site of a time capsule being buried, and he said, “this time capsule will be opened in150 years. Our society, our civilization is facing serious threats and serious questions, the people who open this time capsule Will know how we answered these questions.”

He did not say that if we don’t deal with those threats and questions well, there might be anybody to open the time capsule, but that’s a lmore pressing need then worrying when the next meteor is going to hit.

16 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

What about winning the 2020 #1 pick?

Still the odds on favorite.

29 minutes ago, scOtt said:

26-0 O's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this the first time the O’s won two in a row this year?

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Nope. May 4-6.

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The centerfield is only 385 at London Stadium. There is a lot of foul ground, it doesn't take much to hit it out. 

But I watched the 1st inning, which saw each team score 6 runs.

It wasn't about home runs.   It was just line drive hit after line drive hit.   That game would have been 6-6 after one inning in nearly any ballpark.

37 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Didn't we win 4 in a row after losing on Opening Day?

59 minutes ago, Maryland Mike said:

From Section 67 of OPACY (with my SWEEEEEET Maryland Pride jersey in hand):

O HECK YEAH!!!

I was in 68 so I was basically a few rows in front of you all day.

Nice win!

O's are 4-1 when I attend this year.   My next game is Hangout Day, July 13   (Seems like a long time from now but the O's only have two home games between now and then, tomorrow and the day before Hangout Day).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I was in Section 68, so I was basically a few rows in front of you all day.

Nice win !!!

The Orioles are 4-1 when I attend games this year. My next game is Hangout Day, on July 13th (it seems like a long time from now, but the Orioles only have two home games between now and then ........ tomorrow and the day before Hangout Day.)

o

You bastard.

o

50 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Didn't we win 4 in a row after losing on Opening Day?

I don’t know. I can’t keep up with this team.

I was in section 8 by the right field wall.  Gave up on a foul ball  when it kept going right and it hit the damn cable coming down on my wife's head.  The guy behind me stopped it before it hit her and they got it.  Still mad.