Jump to content
weams

Fangraphs: D.J. Stewart

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not take a swing at you.  When Eddie decides to swing he hits.

You are good a side stepping issues but  the point is I pretty sure Eddie thinks clutch hitting is a skill.

Pretty sure I don't care if Eddie thinks that.

Last time I checked Eddie had a hard time keeping a job as a hitting coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Keep hitting?  Smith has put up a 712 OPS in June.

I think the allure of Smith Jr is starting to wear off. He’s a below avg defender in LF, and he’s made multiple defensive errors. He’s a nice stop gap player, but I don’t think he’s blocking anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

In what universe is what Smith is doing considered a breakout?  OPS+ of 102 and poor defense.

It is from a fantasy article by the looks of things so I don't think they care about his defense

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 52520Andrew said:

It is from a fantasy article by the looks of things so I don't think they care about his defense

Oh OK, that makes sense.  In a fantasy world RBIs matter when considering how good a guy is at baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure I don't care if Eddie thinks that.

Last time I checked Eddie had a hard time keeping a job as a hitting coach.

Any appeal to the authority of a HOFer can simply be countered by “Joe Morgan.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, makoman said:

Any appeal to the authority of a HOFer can simply be countered by “Joe Morgan.”

Wildcard is probably a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's unreasonable to judge a man on a week's worth of performance?  @wildcard would beg to differ.

I hope Stewart can get back quickly, I want to see what he can do.  Never been a big believer but curious to see if he can turn into something.

In this universe.  I don't think anyone expected him to have done what he's done, holes in his game and everything.

I don’t remember who said it, maybe Jon Shepherd, but “average” is great.

how many teams would love to have “average” players? An “Average” pitcher is a 3-4 guy, an “Average” player will hit ~17 home runs.

Smith is average, and that’s great.

For now.

Stewart won’t supplant him, unless they want to let Stewart continue to develop in the Bigs.

actually, I don’t think Stewart will supplant Santander either. Stewart is a September guy.

next year? 

We’ll see...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, makoman said:

Any appeal to the authority of a HOFer can simply be countered by “Joe Morgan.”

Have to love those who take any opportunity to bash a great HOF baseball player like Joe Morgan in such a cavalier way.  Not.

Getting back to DJ Stewart, one can hope he can finish the season healthy and with 250+ productive major league at bats this season.  Interesting that Fangraphs thinks it may be that Stewart is the one who "turned a corner" and no one is looking at the guys who graded nearly 50 Tampa prospects better than DJ as if they are the ones who missed the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Have to love those who take any opportunity to bash a great HOF baseball player like Joe Morgan in such a cavalier way.  Not.

Getting back to DJ Stewart, one can hope he can finish the season healthy and with 250+ productive major league at bats this season.  Interesting that Fangraphs thinks it may be that Stewart is the one who "turned a corner" and no one is looking at the guys who graded nearly 50 Tampa prospects better than DJ as if they are the ones who missed the boat.

No one is taking away what he did to earn his place in the HoF.  However skill on the field does not excuse his work as an analyst.  Firejoemorgan.com is one of my all time favorite websites.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t remember who said it, maybe Jon Shepherd, but “average” is great.

how many teams would love to have “average” players? An “Average” pitcher is a 3-4 guy, an “Average” player will hit ~17 home runs.

Smith is average, and that’s great.

For now.

Stewart won’t supplant him, unless they want to let Stewart continue to develop in the Bigs.

actually, I don’t think Stewart will supplant Santander either. Stewart is a September guy.

next year? 

We’ll see...

Smith is on pace for about 0.2 WAR. That’s not average. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

In what universe is what Smith is doing considered a breakout?  OPS+ of 102 and poor defense.

the AAAA universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ynoa probably could have went farther if Joe West didn’t have his own private version of a ML strike zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Ynoa probably could have went farther if Joe West didn’t have his own private version of a ML strike zone.

Is it Cowboy or Country?  I've heard both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • If you think trading Villar for scraps is a good idea (which is the same thing as "cash dumping" Jim Johnson, btw), then non-tendering him really isn't a big leap from there and it likely has the same end result. My point in all of this has been that non-tendering Villar to save money isn't some preposterous outcome. It's very defensible, and it's possible that no other team wants to touch him at his arb-salary while giving up anything of potential future value in return.
    • I think Luke's pretty high on Cumberland.  But other than that I generally agree with your take.
    • Major leagues definitely needs the minor leagues.  Players don't go from college straight to MLB.  Scrimmages are not going to make you major league ready.  It would cost them even more money to have games without fans. Plus how much would it cost to shuttle players back  and forth from Florida to say Detroit?   I think you are truly under estimating the value minor league baseball provides to MLB. I think this is all about the lawsuit from minor league players saying they are being paid below minimum wage.  I guess a simpler solution is lower the amount of bonuses you pay drafted players and increase salaries.  That would make the pay more equitable.  And provide housing for the players.  And cater their food.     
    • I hate to ruin this guy’s narrative, but Kevin Goldstein is hardly one of the “young finance and Wall Street bros.”    I don’t know exactly how old he is, but he’s got a 21-year old son, and so far as I know, he has no background on Wall Street or finance, having previously been a long-standing scouting guru for Baseball Prospectus.   And, he didn’t “immediately” send out his email after getting hired; he’d been working for the Astros for 5 years at that point.   
    • Just based on the eye test, this is the best team in football.  They are a more complete team than anyone else.  You do worry about Jackson getting injured, but I think every player other than Brady (somehow, in spite of his middle age) is susceptible to injury at any given time.  Just looking at the schedule, I think the Ravens will get the 2 seed.  It isn't that they can't win their last 6, because they can.  I just don't think New England is losing any more games.  The Patriots are not the Patriots of old and their final 15-1 record will be more indicative of their fortunate scheduling (having Dallas and KC at home helps a lot, as does 6 games against a pathetic division).  The Chiefs are not beating the Ravens twice, especially if the game is in Baltimore.  And no other AFC team is capable of winning in New England in January.  So I think it comes down to yet another Ravens-Patriots showdown in Mass.  The good news is this may be the only franchise not scared of the Patriots "aura and mystique," but they will have to beat them twice.  Hard to do. 
    • So baseball want in increase their fanbase and tweak the game, and keep current fans, bring back old fans, and attract new fans. So you go and screw with everybody minor league system.  
    • My granddaddy shot a 72 on his 72nd birthday. I shot a 60 back on my 60th, those rotating ducks was no match for me.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...