Sign in to follow this  
DirtyBird

Mid 2019 - Most Pleased vs Most Disappointed

Name the 3 guys you are most pleased with  / excited about and the 3 your are most disappointed in, so far this season.

Pleased

1. Mason McCoy

2. Drew Rom

3. Bruce Zimmerman

Disappointed 

1. Austin Hays

2. Brennan Hanifee

3. Ryan McKenna

• Upvote 1

Good choices. I would replace Hanifee with Diaz though.  Hanifee has come around lately and his ERA is becoming respectable. 

I did not expect Diaz to struggle the way he has repeating Double A even though he’s been hitting a lot of home runs lately. 

JC Encarnacion and Luis Ortiz have also been major disappointments. 

Remember Eastern League average OPS is .676 this year. Diaz has a wRC+ of 122. No, it's not lighting the world on fire, but it's also not really struggling. 

• Upvote 1

Dillon Tate & Hunter Harvey's recent bullpen success has me excited, although it's been a SSS. Alex Wells and Ofelky Peralta have been doing well, Peralta struggling a bit lately. 

Mullins has been a huge disappointment. Cameron Bishop has been getting hit around. Agree with all of the above too, both good and bad.

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Good choices. I would replace Hanifee with Diaz though.  Hanifee has come around lately and his ERA is becoming respectable. 

I did not expect Diaz to struggle the way he has repeating Double A even though he’s been hitting a lot of home runs lately. 

JC Encarnacion and Luis Ortiz have also been major disappointments. 

Dietz being bad isn’t a surprise, being as terrible as he has been is a surprise though. Given where he was drafted, definitely a disappointment.

Most pleased with DJ Stewart, Ryan Mountcastle, and Chance Sisco. All three have played well this season at Norfolk, and it's great that two of them have already been called up to the O's and have contributed to some degree. Now I'm looking forward to seeing Mountcastle being promoted at some point, although it doesn't look like there's room for him on the current roster. I'd think there would have to be an injury or trade for that to happen.

Most disappointed with Ryan McKenna, Cedric Mullins, and all 15 prospects we received in the 2018 trades (ok, except Bruce Zimmerman. And Zach Pop, Dean Kreamer, Dillon Tate, and Rylan Bannon haven't been that bad).

And I'd say that Mason McCoy has been my most pleasant surprise this season.

Pleased:

1. Grey Rod

2. Adam Hall

3. Wells/Lowther - they are so underrated 

Disappointed:

1. Mullins - Even struggling in AAA

2. Hays - Reimold 2.0?

3. Diaz - After a big ST I expected more. 

Pleased :

McCoy

Santander

Sisco

Sedlock (Back from the dead)

Hall (both of them)

Mountcastle

Lowther

Wells

Dissapointed: 

Hays (Put him in bubble wrap)

Mullins

McKenna (Hope he goes less for power in the 2nd half)

Akin (Felt he would be a bit better in Norfolk)

22 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Remember Eastern League average OPS is .676 this year. Diaz has a wRC+ of 122. No, it's not lighting the world on fire, but it's also not really struggling. 

It will be interesting to see what happens in AA.  The offense has been down so much this year which makes you wonder if the plan is to go to a new ball like AAA did next season.  It seems like a huge difference in the two the pitchers in the league are dominating and hitting prospects are scuffling.  If they move up Lowether and Wells can the sustain their same success or will the new ball destroy them.  If Diaz is moved up will the offense of numbers see a bump up.  

Pleased:

Means, Sisco, Hall, Rom, Baumann, Harvey (health), McCoy

Disappointed:

Diaz, McKenna, Ortiz, Pop (injury), Cumberland

Just now, LookinUp said:

Pleased:

Means, Sisco, Hall, Rom, Baumann, Harvey (health), McCoy

Disappointed:

Diaz, McKenna, Ortiz, Pop (injury), Cumberland

What were your expectations for Cumberland?

18 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

What were your expectations for Cumberland?

Seems like he's been a decent C that is splitting time and putting up a good OBP.  

Was hoping he was a bat-first MLB backup type. Looking more like a non-prospect. I may have been highest on him, based on the least information, lol. 

31 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Was hoping he was a bat-first MLB backup type. Looking more like a non-prospect. I may have been highest on him, based on the least information, lol. 

I remember one of the national publications rated Cumberland obscenely high right after the trades.  I think they had him in our Top 5.  And we were all like....uh, what?  It might have even been Fangraphs.

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pleased:

1. Grey Rod

2. Adam Hall

3. Wells/Lowther - they are so underrated 

Disappointed:

1. Mullins - Even struggling in AAA

2. Hays - Reimold 2.0?

3. Diaz - After a big ST I expected more. 

All of these lists are good, but this one probably most accurately reflects my thoughts.  What the heck happened to Mullins?  Diaz I've never been as high on as most, but hopefully he can start hitting soon and earn the hype.