Jump to content
Obando

2019-2020 International Signings Thread

Recommended Posts

Mods, if you want to put this in a different section, feel free, but I thought we should start a thread devoted to the Orioles international signings for the 2019-2020 signing period.  This is so foreign to O’s fans, since the organization has never really been a player in the international market until now.  But we should have a place to discuss and analyze all of our international signings, just as we do for amateur draft picks.  

Now we just have to wait until tomorrow for the signings to start being announced and then we can get this party started.  Can’t wait for the names and details to start trickling in!

(Edited by moderators) Signings so far:

Luis Ortiz, lhp, Dominican Republic, $400,000
Anderson Rogers, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
Luis Gonzalez, of, Dominican Republic, $450,000
Charbel Abboud, rhp, Venezuela
Kenny Baez, c, Dominican Republic
Harold Arias, rhp, Venezuela
Roberto Martinez, ss, Dominican Republic, $200,000
Luis de la Cruz, of, Dominican Republic

Eric Cains, rhp, Dominican Republic

D-fHWkhXkAEk_Bo.jpg:large

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know about when these signings will begin to be announced? (I know tomorrow, but about what time?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-international-signing-preview/?amphtml&__twitter_impression=true

 

Baltimore Orioles

After years of wasting opportunities, the Orioles finally appear ready to make a commitment to Latin America. They hired Mike Elias as general manager in November and Koby Perez as international scouting director in January, but since most of the top players in the 2019 class made signing commitments well before then, the Orioles are still limited for what they can do in 2019 and even 2020. While it's a low bar to clear, the Orioles are still expected to have a stronger class than usual, including Luis Ortiz, a Dominican lefthander with a sharp curveball, and Dominican shortstop Anderson Rogers

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, odogs101 said:

 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-international-signing-preview/?amphtml&__twitter_impression=true

 

Baltimore Orioles

After years of wasting opportunities, the Orioles finally appear ready to make a commitment to Latin America. They hired Mike Elias as general manager in November and Koby Perez as international scouting director in January, but since most of the top players in the 2019 class made signing commitments well before then, the Orioles are still limited for what they can do in 2019 and even 2020. While it's a low bar to clear, the Orioles are still expected to have a stronger class than usual, including Luis Ortiz, a Dominican lefthander with a sharp curveball, and Dominican shortstop Anderson Rogers

Bolded for emphasis. It's not just Elias and Koby saying this. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to take a long time to get it up to snuff, but starting with Elias and Perez is about as strong as you can start when you were at the very bottom.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, odogs101 said:

 

Really well written article. Sounds night and day from the last few years, including three players the Perez is excited about...

 

"

Without mentioning names before they are officially signed, are there any players you are specifically excited about and the talents they bring?

(There will be) a center fielder that can play all three outfield positions and has some raw power potential and has a knack for barreling the ball up. He’s one of the main guys that we really like. We also have a left-handed pitcher who we feel is very advanced and very physical for his age and is already above 90 with his velocity. So, we feel really good about him. And we also have a shortstop who we are excited about defensively and offensively. He still should get a little bit stronger, but we think he has the ability to play shortstop and stay there. Those three guys are all Dominicans."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing 30 guys on July 2nd, the #1 pick in Rutschman, a late first round talent in Henderson...our system should look very different.  Thank goodness.

I know a lot of these J2 guys are going to be far from the majors but at least we're headed in the right direction.  Maybe we can uncover a fast riser or two. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Athletic article Perez says they are going to spend 60-70% of their slots tomorrow. I know that will freak out the usual suspects but he said they plan on using the rest on any late risers they like. No signings over a million but "over 10" will be in the 6 figure range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LTO's said:

In the Athletic article Perez says they are going to spend 60-70% of their slots tomorrow. I know that will freak out the usual suspects but he said they plan on using the rest on any late risers they like. No signings over a million but "over 10" will be in the 6 figure range.

I'm fine with 60-70.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

In the Athletic article Perez says they are going to spend 60-70% of their slots tomorrow. I know that will freak out the usual suspects but he said they plan on using the rest on any late risers they like. No signings over a million but "over 10" will be in the 6 figure range.

@Can_of_corn is this up to your standards?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8f12bfd4-6be1-4dfe-894a-c6c3c119b988

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Signing 30 guys on July 2nd, the #1 pick in Rutschman, a late first round talent in Henderson...our system should look very different.  Thank goodness.

I know a lot of these J2 guys are going to be far from the majors but at least we're headed in the right direction.  Maybe we can uncover a fast riser or two. 

Not disparaging Henderson but if you are picking 2-1 shouldn't you be coming away with a late first round talent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...