Jump to content
Obando

2019-2020 International Signings Thread

Recommended Posts

On 9/5/2019 at 6:03 PM, Can_of_corn said:

But, but, but, these kids don't care about money they care about the long term relationship they have formed with the teams.

 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:07 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe they knew something.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O's may have dodged a bullet not signing Victor Victor Mesa to that 5.25 million dollar signing bonus.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/tougher-afl-ahead-for-struggling-víctor-víctor-mesa/ar-AAGz9C8

"A consensus Top 100 prospect before the season began after excelling against much older competition in Cuba before defecting, Mesa has found it extremely tough adapting to the level of minor league play, posting a .237 batting average over 115 games. That includes a recent promotion to Double-A Jacksonville, where he has looked particularly over-matched (.184/.208/.204 in 109 PA)."

"his production at the plate has been so poor that a productive major league career is now far from certain."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

O's may have dodged a bullet not signing Victor Victor Mesa to that 5.25 million dollar signing bonus.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/tougher-afl-ahead-for-struggling-víctor-víctor-mesa/ar-AAGz9C8

"A consensus Top 100 prospect before the season began after excelling against much older competition in Cuba before defecting, Mesa has found it extremely tough adapting to the level of minor league play, posting a .237 batting average over 115 games. That includes a recent promotion to Double-A Jacksonville, where he has looked particularly over-matched (.184/.208/.204 in 109 PA)."

"his production at the plate has been so poor that a productive major league career is now far from certain."

which is why they are called prospects. 

There are guys in the HOF, that had really bad minor league performances, which left scouts concerned about their possible MLB career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-20-mlb-international-reviews-baltimore-orioles/

Really good piece highlighting 11 of this year’s J2 signings. Includes first mention of some bonus amounts (although Venezuelan bonus amounts are not advertised because of the turmoil in that country). 

Besides Luis Ortiz, who looks like a stud, the most interesting guy for me is Raul Rangel. Venezuelan RHP up to 93 despite being super skinny, arm action needs to get cleaned up a little bit, but it’s a sit upper 90s guy if development goes right.

Why do you refer to Luis Ortiz as a stud?    Is that your opinion or someone else's?    I'd like to know more.  Can't access the article.   Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Why do you refer to Luis Ortiz as a stud?    Is that your opinion or someone else's?    I'd like to know more.  Can't access the article.   Thanks.

They say some nice things about him as well as many of the O’s signees and tab him as the best of the class. They have video and he looks pretty darn good. Looks more like a domestic day one prospect than a raw international talent. See for yourself.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

They say some nice things about him as well as many of the O’s signees and tab him as the best of the class. They have video and he looks pretty darn good. Looks more like a domestic day one prospect than a raw international talent. See for yourself.

 

 

Kid looks like a stud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definitely a positive, and I’m going to try and stay in that thinking. These international signing periods each year are like draft classes. I’m glad we finally decided to participate. 

A guy like Ortiz, who looks like a stud, would have a similar signing bonus/slot as to what we gave our 5th rd pick. Hopefully we will be at the point next year to spend all of our slots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-20-mlb-international-reviews-baltimore-orioles/

Really good piece highlighting 11 of this year’s J2 signings. Includes first mention of some bonus amounts (although Venezuelan bonus amounts are not advertised because of the turmoil in that country). 

Besides Luis Ortiz, who looks like a stud, the most interesting guy for me is Raul Rangel. Venezuelan RHP up to 93 despite being super skinny, arm action needs to get cleaned up a little bit, but it’s a sit upper 90s guy if development goes right.

Do you know when they bring these guys over to our Minor league system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JanJaap said:

Do you know when they bring these guys over to our Minor league system?

Baseball America reported that Ortiz in particular would be in Sarasota for Extended Spring Training. But would likely pitch in the DSL in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Luke-OH said:

 

Besides Luis Ortiz, who looks like a stud, 

 

7 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Kid looks like a stud.

 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

 

A guy like Ortiz, who looks like a stud

But does the ball come out of his hand well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 118 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...