sportsfan8703

2019 Trade Deadline

Morosi on MLB network saying Mancini's value should be high because he's one of the few controllable bats available. Castellanos is only a rental.

Guess we shall see.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, but I think 2021 is pushing the realms of possibility.

Agreed, though the Bowie guys run gives me a glimmer.  It needs Mountcastle, Diaz and Hays to be more stars than role players, and the organization's pitching strategists to make a lot more than I expect from the high minors basket of arms.

I'm pretty sure Rutschman's debut will be early 2021 regardless, but whether Hall and Rodriguez are May or August depends a little on team context assuming they can both keep hitting their milestones the next year and a half (~10-20%).

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Agreed, though the Bowie guys run gives me a glimmer.  It needs Mountcastle, Diaz and Hays to be more stars than role players, and the organization's pitching strategists to make a lot more than I expect from the high minors basket of arms.

I'm pretty sure Rutschman's debut will be early 2021 regardless, but whether Hall and Rodriguez are May or August depends a little on team context assuming they can both keep hitting their milestones the next year and a half (~10-20%).

I think there is a path (although an unlikely one) where they are somewhat competitive in 2021 but EVERYTHING would have to pan out.  Like you said Mountcastle, Diaz, and Hays would all have to reach their ceilings an be very good/all star players, Nunez would have to be a good third baseman, and Bannon and McCoy would have to reach their ceilings of solid, but unspectacular middle infielders.  

Not to mention that all the pitchers at Bowie with 2021 ETA's like Kremer, Lowther, and Wells would have to succeed along with Means keeping form. 

I think it'll be an interesting season with all the players to watch but see it as more of being the first season of the rebuild where they don't lose 100 games and look consistently like a competent baseball team.  

Moves I'd like to see tomorrow (hey, it's an off day;  a lot can happen)

• Givens and Villar traded for whatever
  • Smith to the IL
  • Davis released
  • Mancini to 1B
  • Hays and Stewart recalled

9 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

• Smith to the IL
  • Davis released
  • Mancini to 1B

Chandler Shepherd released, Christian Alvarado to the O's

9 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

• Smith to the IL
  • Davis released
  • Mancini to 1B

Hays is .238 .290 .480 .770 this season in the minors with half of his at bats occurring at Double A or below.  He's not deserving of a promotion IMO. 

He can wait until September call-ups.  The guy hasn't been a consistent hitter anywhere since 2017.  I'd like to see some more consistency and at least a solid month or two in Norfolk.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think it'll be an interesting season with all the players to watch but see it as more of being the first season of the rebuild where they don't lose 100 games and look consistently like a competent baseball team.  

Right.  Rutschman's May 1, 2021 debut (give or take a few weeks either way) will be analogous to Stras-mania down in DC.  Maybe that night's lineup is 

RF Diaz, C Rutschman, DH Mountcastle, 1B Mancini, LF Santander, CF Hays, 3B Nunez, 2B Bannon, SS Grenier, and you have Means, Akin, Kremer and Baumann for the rotation.  It's Dylan Bundy's Arb3 year, so maybe he's the 5th starter, if baseball even still has those in 2 more years.

Bring the 1st round stud pitchers into that mix as the year goes along (including 2020's draft pick if an NCAA fast mover), buy Lindor and Scherzer that offseason and enjoy 2022.  Maybe set a record for giving 2 players 75% of the MLB payroll.

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Hays is .238 .290 .480 .770 this season in the minors with half of his at bats occurring at Double A or below.  He's not deserving of a promotion IMO. 

He can wait until September call-ups.  The guy hasn't been a consistent hitter anywhere since 2017.  I'd like to see some more consistency and at least a solid month or two in Norfolk.  

I get this sentiment but I doubt calling up Hays really impacts his development at all and service time shouldn't be an issue since he's 24.

They don't have a CF and he can learn to hit in a non competitive season.

On another note, I don't know what DJ Stewart has to do to get a call up.  He's crushing it and will be 26 soon-ish.  

58 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I agree this time.

I think we needed to see him at Norfolk, since he did well in AA before, but I'd wait until September for Baltimore.