sportsfan8703

2019 Trade Deadline

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They gave up a year and a half of Bauer for a young cheap power hitting DH/COF, a top 100 LHP prospect, a decent AA pitching prospect, a low minors lottery ticket, and Puig. 

I find it funny referring to Puig as a hothead with no mention of Bauer's antics. He just threw a temper tantrum on the mound the other day. 

Yes, he threw a ball into the center field bleachers, if I understand. And Puig has been involved in how many incidents? More than one.

the trade was complicated, I wasn’t sure what Cleveland was getting back in addition to Puig, nor who was going where. But Puig is undoubtedly a hothead. Bauer did something stupid. Unless Bauer also has a history of such things, the two are not comparable.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, he threw a ball into the center field bleachers, if I understand. And Puig has been involved in how many incidents? More than one.

the trade was complicated, I wasn’t sure what Cleveland was getting back in addition to Puig, nor who was going where. But Puig is undoubtedly a hothead. Bauer did something stupid. Unless Bauer also has a history of such things, the two are not comparable.

Bauer most definitely has a history of being a hot head/has off field concerns.

Kind of shocking you don't know that honestly.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Philip said:

I'm not familiar with everything Puig has done, so you can fill me in if I'm mistaken, but isn't it his tendency of charging the mound when he gets beaned and believes it to be intentional the main troublesome thing he does. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

As ISU said, there is a history for Bauer too. 

He's once spent days harassing a 20 year old woman who criticized him on Twitter. He referred to that punching down as “It’s a mental chess match, to me,” 

Teammates/people in the org have been quoted as saying there's "24 plus Trevor" and “I think Trevor cares about Trevor a lot.” 

He hurt his team's chances in the playoffs by cutting his finger playing with a drone.

This is how he views relationships,

“One: no feelings. As soon as I sense you’re developing feelings, I’m going to cut it off, because I’m not interested in a relationship and I’m emotionally unavailable. Two: no social media posts about me while we’re together, because private life stays private. Three: I sleep with other people. I’m going to continue to sleep with other people. If you’re not O.K. with that, we won’t sleep together, and that’s perfectly fine. We can just be perfectly polite platonic friends.”

So whatever you think about all that, it's definitely controversial, he comes off as a man-child IMO. 

All this comes from an article that's written in a generally favorable light about him. He's insanely driven, which is a good thing, but he's definitely not a team guy in any measure. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/trevor-bauer-cleveland-indians-training-tools-twitter-controversy-cy-young

• Upvote 2

Bauer's and Puig's personalities are a non-factor. If Cleveland traded Bauer to get rid of his antics, why would they pick up a blowhard like Puig of all people? Likewise CIncinnati in the opposite direction. Not sure why the Padres gave up so much to get Trammell.

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Bauer's and Puig's personalities are a non-factor. If Cleveland traded Bauer to get rid of his antics, why would they pick up a blowhard like Puig of all people? Likewise CIncinnati in the opposite direction. Not sure why the Padres gave up so much to get Trammell.

Yeah, I'm not trying to overstate the personality issue, I'm just saying the Bauer and Puig both fit the bill of guys who have controversial personalities. 

They gave that much up for Trammell because Trammell is one of the rare prospects that has star-caliber ceiling. They traded a good pitching prospect with limited ceiling, a slugging DH playing in the wrong league, and a rookie ball lottery ticket for a top 30 prospect in baseball. 

Seems like a boon for the Indians... help for this year, potential forces for the future... all for a guy that they weren’t ever going to be able to extend.

So this Cubs writer is poorly educated and hard to believe he so far off.

1) Villar is not a pending free agent, he has one year of control

2) he discusses the need to give up one of their two top 100 guys. While I don't expect him to be free, he's likely to return that kind of player.however, we know the Cubs farm system is at or near the worst.

3) there is hope Zobrist is returning soon

4) Financial reasons.....He says the Cubs have 0 financial flexibility. The Orioles could pay him the rest of the season. Which may be of nterest to Theo.

5) the Cubs have other needs and no flexibility, which means Theo will need to be creative.

https://dawindycity.com/2019/07/30/chicago-cubs-rumors-villar/4/

• Upvote 1

My predictions,

Villar - goes for whatever we can get. We could always offer him a deal to play SS after he gets non tendered this offseason. Cubs.

Givens - I think he’s going to bring back a return better than his ERA indicates. He’s a proven commodity, as a set up man, in a tough division.  Plus he has pitched in a playoff game.  Teams know what they’re getting.  Perfect fit for a small market team that is “in it”. LAD, Minn, Mil.

Mancini - Voigt could be out for the year. What if we see a bidding war between HOU/NYY?  Or a war to keep him from the other one?  I just pray HOU would win that war.  

Alberto - The guy is basically Howie Kendrick, with more defensive versatility. Right now he’s a guy that can play SS in a pinch, and not kill you at 3rd. If we hold onto him, will he be just a below avg 2B defensively, that relies on a high BA, in 2022?  That’s very likely. Plus some contender in the NL is going to bite, especially with him as murder on LHP. PHIL, LAD, CHC, SFG, are all fits. Especially for a team like the Giants. Instant BA at the top of the lineup, and they love former O’s. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mancini - Voigt could be out for the year. What if we see a bidding war between HOU/NYY?  Or a war to keep him from the other one?  I just pray HOU would win that war.  

The Yankees already have a 1st basemen on their team that has 30 homers.  Houston has no room for Kyle Tucker and Yordan Alvarez is a similar defensive player to Mancini.  Both teams need pitching.  The Yankees might pick up someone like cheap like Justin Smoak if they are concerned about Encarnacion's  defense.  I would be shocked if either are going to spend a lot to get 1B / DH type.

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

As ISU said, there is a history for Bauer too. 

He's once spent days harassing a 20 year old woman who criticized him on Twitter. He referred to that punching down as “It’s a mental chess match, to me,” 

Teammates/people in the org have been quoted as saying there's "24 plus Trevor" and “I think Trevor cares about Trevor a lot.” 

He hurt his team's chances in the playoffs by cutting his finger playing with a drone.

This is how he views relationships,

“One: no feelings. As soon as I sense you’re developing feelings, I’m going to cut it off, because I’m not interested in a relationship and I’m emotionally unavailable. Two: no social media posts about me while we’re together, because private life stays private. Three: I sleep with other people. I’m going to continue to sleep with other people. If you’re not O.K. with that, we won’t sleep together, and that’s perfectly fine. We can just be perfectly polite platonic friends.”

So whatever you think about all that, it's definitely controversial, he comes off as a man-child IMO. 

All this comes from an article that's written in a generally favorable light about him. He's insanely driven, which is a good thing, but he's definitely not a team guy in any measure. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/trevor-bauer-cleveland-indians-training-tools-twitter-controversy-cy-young

You meant "He personally lost a World Series."

5 minutes ago, POR said:

The Yankees already have a 1st basemen on their team that has 30 homers.  Houston has no room for Kyle Tucker and Yordan Alvarez is a similar defensive player to Mancini.  Both teams need pitching.  The Yankees might pick up someone like cheap like Justin Smoak if they are concerned about Encarnacion's  defense.  I would be shocked if either are going to spend a lot to get 1B / DH type.

Yordan Alvarez is killing it right now but Tucker is a weird guy to cite as why they wouldn’t potentially be interested in Mancini. He hasn’t played at majors in 2019 and OPS’d under .500 in 2018 (albeit SSS). He obviously has potential but Mancini’s bat is a much better known quantity at the MLB level. 

6 hours ago, ISU94 said:

Bauer most definitely has a history of being a hot head/has off field concerns.

Kind of shocking you don't know that honestly.

"Well aware."  /Bauer_Smug

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yordan Alvarez is killing it right now but Tucker is a weird guy to cite as why they wouldn’t potentially be interested in Mancini. He hasn’t played at majors in 2019 and OPS’d under .500 in 2018 (albeit SSS). He obviously has potential but Mancini’s bat is a much better known quantity at the MLB level. 

Tucker is an elite prospect that has already played 200 games at AAA.  He would be playing everyday  in the majors for most teams. Houston is far too smart to trade a big package for Mancini with Tucker in the minors, while at the same time they need pitching.  

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

San Diego also sent Franmil Reyes to Cleveland

El grandissimo!    

• Upvote 1