sportsfan8703

2019 Trade Deadline

On 7/5/2019 at 7:01 PM, Roll Tide said:

In your scenario I would just keep Villar. I think you are really undervaluing him!

The question is: do they plan to tender him for arbitration.  If the answer is yes then I would agree with you.  If they aren't, then try to get anything you can for him.

The one thing I know is that we have guys with am actual PLAN.  They already KNOW today whether they are going to tender him or not and can act accordingly.  I'm not sure Duquette and company ever thought that far ahead.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:07 AM, SteveA said:

The question is: do they plan to tender him for arbitration.  If the answer is yes then I would agree with you.  If they aren't, then try to get anything you can for him.

The one thing I know is that we have guys with am actual PLAN.  They already KNOW today whether they are going to tender him or not and can act accordingly.  I'm not sure Duquette and company ever thought that far ahead.

I have a lot more confidence.

To be fair though it is a little easier when you don’t have to factor in any chance of the team competing for the next couple of years.

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:37 AM, bpilktree said:

With what I said in previous post here is a few predictions of type of trades I could see.

Cashner to Arizona for Taylor Clark and another prospect around the 30-50 range.   

Villar to Cubs for Oscar DeLa Cruz and Trent Giambrone.

Givens to Pirates for O’Neil Cruz and Max Kranick 

FYI Taylor Clarke just went on the IL with "back inflammation".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If I'm trading Villar it's not going to be for a teams 20ish rated prospects. Especially the Cubs whose top 20 is littered with guys who are performing poorly. I'd say their system is currently pretty weak. Villar will be a valuable piece. If I couldn't get Hoerner then I'd expect Roederer and Abbott.

Arizona is another very weak system.....Cashner would have to net me Perdomo and Alek Thomas. I probably look or a team with more to offer.

i think you have to account  for the strength of the farm systems in these deals. Players ranked in the late teens or low twenties for the Cubs and D-backs are likely not even prospects 

As for Givens you are really selling low at this point. I'd hang on to him and hope for better next season.

Your not going to get the Cubs top prospect and a guy that is in the top 100 in some peoples eyes.  I don’t look at farm system rankings and where a guy fits as after the top 5-10 you are looking all about the same.  If you just look at our team our top players were not ranked like Means or not super high like Mancini.  

De la Cruz was seen as a top arm in all of baseball but has had injury issues similar to Harvey but has been healthy this year and should be rising back up their system.  Giambrone is a super utility guy who would fit with this team.  I would make Alberto the starting 2nd baseman and let him fill in around the infield getting starts at infield positions and he could fill in the outfield if need be.  He is a guy teams like not all the tools but a ball player that gives you 110% all the time.   Vilar is a nice solid player but not a guy you want to build around or a huge difference maker for the playoff race.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Bingo.  Villar isn’t coming back next year. Get whatever you can for him this year. I’d be happy with one top 30 prospect from a team that didn’t need to be placed on the 40 man roster. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Your not going to get the Cubs top prospect and a guy that is in the top 100 in some peoples eyes.  I don’t look at farm system rankings and where a guy fits as after the top 5-10 you are looking all about the same.  If you just look at our team our top players were not ranked like Means or not super high like Mancini.  

De la Cruz was seen as a top arm in all of baseball but has had injury issues similar to Harvey but has been healthy this year and should be rising back up their system.  Giambrone is a super utility guy who would fit with this team.  I would make Alberto the starting 2nd baseman and let him fill in around the infield getting starts at infield positions and he could fill in the outfield if need be.  He is a guy teams like not all the tools but a ball player that gives you 110% all the time.   Vilar is a nice solid player but not a guy you want to build around or a huge difference maker for the playoff race.

This is just wrong ..... For many years our farm system sucked. Recently as a few years ago the Orioles couldn't get the much needed deadline help because no one wanted the crap from our weak farm system.

Villar is a grit player with speed and I think you are undervaluing him. The Cubs have no speed and I could see them putting a pretty high value on him. The Orioles don't need to be trading their few assets for Injury liability guys or super utility types.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

There is 0 chance that the Orioles dont tender Villar a contract.

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There is 0 chance that the Orioles dont tender Villar a contract.

I think it is more likely than not that they don't tender him a contract. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If I'm trading Villar it's not going to be for a teams 20ish rated prospects. Especially the Cubs whose top 20 is littered with guys who are performing poorly. I'd say their system is currently pretty weak. Villar will be a valuable piece. If I couldn't get Hoerner then I'd expect Roederer and Abbott.

Arizona is another very weak system.....Cashner would have to net me Perdomo and Alek Thomas. I probably look or a team with more to offer.

i think you have to account  for the strength of the farm systems in these deals. Players ranked in the late teens or low twenties for the Cubs and D-backs are likely not even prospects 

As for Givens you are really selling low at this point. I'd hang on to him and hope for better next season.

Nico most definitely wouldn't be on the table. In fact with Zobrist contract over and Descalso looking like he's going to be DFA'd, Nico might be the Cub 2B very early in 2020. All he does is rake.

57 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I think it is more likely than not that they don't tender him a contract. 

Care to place a wager!!!

8 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Nico most definitely wouldn't be on the table. In fact with Zobrist contract over and Descalso looking like he's going to be DFA'd, Nico might be the Cub 2B very early in 2020. All he does is rake.

Your probably right ... but without him it should take a lot as their farm sucks 

44 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Your probably right ... but without him it should take a lot as their farm sucks 

Not top 15 for sure, but you're definitely underestimating it as far as "sucks".

3 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Not top 15 for sure, but you're definitely underestimating it as far as "sucks".

Bleacher has them ranked 28th

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2839611-ranking-all-30-mlb-farm-systems-post-2019-mlb-draft.amp.html

Can you find anything that says that contradicts my position?