Greg Pappas

Trey Mancini or Ryan Mountcastle?

If able to keep just one, would you choose Mancini or Mountcastle?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If able to keep just one of these players, would you choose Mancini or Mountcastle?

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can remember how much time and patience we've given Hunter Harvey and all his arm issues.  Wonder if HH was a 15th round pick and had all those issues just how many chances we'd be wanting to give him.

Anyway, I'd like to see what the new shiny toy can do regardless of how I feel about him.

I think if a guy performed like HH did when he was healthy he'd get a lot of time to get heathy.  Keeping Harvey hasn't cost the O's anything other than one year on the 40 man.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can remember how much time and patience we've given Hunter Harvey and all his arm issues.  Wonder if HH was a 15th round pick and had all those issues just how many chances we'd be wanting to give him.

Anyway, I'd like to see what the new shiny toy can do regardless of how I feel about him.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think if a guy performed like HH did when he was healthy he'd get a lot of time to get heathy.  Keeping Harvey hasn't cost the O's anything other than one year on the 40 man.  

Yeah, people like Harvey because he’s talented and has great stuff. They give him lots of chances because when healthy his stuff looks great and if he can stay healthy his stuff will likely play in the majors, at least as a reliever. And perhaps the patience is starting to be rewarded.

Oh, and he was a first round pick because...he’s talented and has great stuff. So these things aren’t mutually exclusive. Even so, at this point in development it’s all about where you are now. How long did anyone care about top ten pick Billy Rowell? Or Matt Hobgood? Not that long to be honest once they showed they weren’t going anywhere. Sure they got some extra press but no one really cared. 

Edited by makoman
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well tell it to CoC, he was the one saying what a hell of an athlete Mountcastle is.

If you're saying Mancini is expendable, the only thing keeping Mountcastle from being expendable is 5 years.  

I disagree that Mancini has more value as a trade piece.  Prime example of the OH overvaluing what we have.  As much as I like Mancini, as much as I am arguing for him here please let me know what you think another GM would give us for Mancini right now.

I don’t think Mancini will bring back very much of anything. I agree completely that his value isn’t great. The people who are saying stuff like, “two top 100 prospects and a double A lottery piece” Are living on Mars. I don’t think he will bring back much, but I think he will bring back more than nothing, and I think his value right now is more than it will be next year, so I think we should try to move him this year. If we don’t get an offer that Mike thinks is acceptable then we won’t move him. At the moment I am fully prepared to trust Mike, so if we trade him, the return is reasonable, if we don’t trade him the return is not.

o don’t think Mountcastle was a good choice, Because I am frequently on record as not wanting someone who cannot play good defense. I would wager my immortal soul that MC won’t be here for five years, But he will certainly be here next year, and he’s cheap. I would rather give him a chance now and trade Mancini for whatever worthwhile return we can get.

Might as well see what MC can do. Remember he is only here until we find somebody better, and finding someone better won’t be too difficult.

Having seen them both play, I have to go with Mancini.   There is no guarantee Mountcastle will find a position.  Mancini has proven to be a competent corner outfielder and an average first baseman, and he has already proven he can hit major league pitching. I think Mountcastle will ultimately hit also, but he cant play third in the show, he's not ready to play first, and he's only had a handful of games in left ... probably where he will end up.  

I find the disdain for Mountcastle by people who’ve never seen him play very confusing. 

Also, he was a great pick where he was drafted, no team consistently gets top 100 prospects at that point in the draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

If everything was equal, I would keep Mancini.  But it's not. 

But that’s what makes this such an interesting question 

1 hour ago, billhatf said:

Having seen them both play, I have to go with Mancini.   There is no guarantee Mountcastle will find a position.  Mancini has proven to be a competent corner outfielder and an average first baseman, and he has already proven he can hit major league pitching. I think Mountcastle will ultimately hit also, but he cant play third in the show, he's not ready to play first, and he's only had a handful of games in left ... probably where he will end up.  

There's no reason Mountcastle can't be every bit as good or better than Mancini in LF or at 1B.  Mountcastle has a lot more upside at 1B IMO due to his good hands and experience as a SS/3B and should be at least as rangy as Mancini in the OF. 

I'm more worried about Mountcastle's walk rate than finding a position.  I think he will be fine in LF or 1B.  

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mancini.

I believe last year was an aberration and he was injured.  He has shown himself to be a professional hitter who can make adjustments and not slump for extended periods.

Yes, he is a defensive liability, no doubt about it.  However from everything I've read/heard he is not as much of a liability as Mountcastle.

Mountcastle has not hit at the ML level yet and it appears that the organization is scrambling to find him a position.  Will he be as adequate in LF as Mancini?  Hard to say.  Who's a better first baseman?  Hard to say, too.  

Mountcastle doesn't walk.  Mancini isn't an OBP machine but he's not completely batting average dependent.  Mountcastle may hit for more power.

Pretty much my reasoning. Mancini can at least adequately play several positions at the ML level. Mouncastle I don't know what his fielding will be worth. He may get to the show and end up being a better hitter but if he's a DH only what is his value?

Trey has become quite a positive clubhouse leader too. So it appears to a total outsider anyways.

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I find the disdain for Mountcastle by people who’ve never seen him play very confusing. 

Also, he was a great pick where he was drafted, no team consistently gets top 100 prospects at that point in the draft. 

Ryan is a very good ball player

10 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

A question/poll for our posters. As of today, the baseball gods deem the O's are only able to keep one of Trey Mancini and Ryan Mountcastle. 

Taking everything into consideration, which player would you keep? Explanations appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mountcastle is the future and would be the obvious answer. Trey should eventually be dealt and IMO Mountcastle shouldn't see the majors for at least 1 more season. Davis should definitely be off the roster one way or another before it happens

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Mountcastle is the future and would be the obvious answer. Trey should eventually be dealt and IMO Mountcastle shouldn't see the majors for at least 1 more season. Davis should definitely be off the roster one way or another before it happens

I don’t think Mancini is going anywhere for now. Not enough of a market. We’ll likely keep Mountcastle down in AAA at least to gain the extra year of control and maybe till June 1st. Davis thread is gone, but I think he’s here until he’s “forced” off the roster. Nunez and Mancini are everyday players. We just need the slew of other OF and, Sisco(showing he deserves DH ABs), to perform so we can jettison him. 

8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

11 walks in over a half season at AAA is very concerning.  Yes, the disdain is based on that stat, the fact that he is unproven at any defensive position but wherever he plays the bat will have to carry him, and also that is overall offensive numbers are not that special THIS year in the International League.  Your opinion carries a lot of weight.  I can't get over the 11 walks vs 80 K's.

Just now, RZNJ said:

11 walks in over a half season at AAA is very concerning.  Yes, the disdain is based on that stat, the fact that he is unproven at any defensive position but wherever he plays the bat will have to carry him, and also that is overall offensive numbers are not that special THIS year in the International League.  Your opinion carries a lot of weight.  I can't get over the 11 walks vs 80 K's.

I've been saying this since 2017, but watch him swing the bat, guys with his bat speed, natural loft, and hands rarely fail. It's a special bat, even if it's not special production right now (it's not). Age is really important for hitters, and he's 22. He is going to hit (and more power is coming) and this idea that he can't play defense is based on his weird infield arm action that is weak and inaccurate. He moves well, he's got good hands. He's going to be fine in LF or at 1B. I think Mancini if he continues to play like he is this year (if this is normal rather than a peak year), is the median outcome for Mountcastle. I'd be pretty surprised if Mountcastle doesn't match Mancini's 111 wRC+ from ages 24 to 27. 

The Mountcastle/Mancini debate is pretty simple IMO, they have roughly the same trade value if you believe in 2019 Mancini, which I think some teams will (he's improved and hasn't been as lucky as in his rookie season) then you want Mancini if you are competing and Mountcastle if you are rebuilding. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1