MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

Just now, tntoriole said:

I am glad you are not Koby Perez. 

Let’s chat again in six years.

2 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

I could argue with you, but let’s just check back in once Jason Vargas is dealt.

Side note, if there was a poll up two years ago that said Cashner or two 16 year olds from Venezuela...

I know how I would have voted.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder how that works with the incentives?  I'm guessing the O's are paying half the base but the Sox will be responsible for reached incentives.

Great question. My guess is the Sox are on the hook for incentives. so it probably does save more than $1.7M.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm betting their English is better than my Spanish.

You have nothing on which to base your bet, but I would imagine that if you went to a Spanish-speaking country you would probably make a huge effort to learn Spanish, and only then would the comparison be worthwhile anyway.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

We got two 17-year-old kids. We haven’t any idea what we got.  We got a pocket full of mumbles, we got stock options from Enron, We got promises of eternal love, we got the hope of eternal salvation, we got two 17-year-old kids who probably don’t speak a word of English.

They are probably nothing. They are lottery tickets, signed for very little, and probably worth less. I’m not even going to bother trying to spell their names, because we probably will never see them again.

I am in the “we could’ve gotten more if we had waited” crowd.

It doesn’t really matter if we know what we got. Just matters if Elias knows what he got. We’re not privy to all the scouting info they have.

They’re really young. Time will tell. I’d rather have two high-risk, high-reward players than Dillon Tate or somebody like that.

Just now, Philip said:

Let’s chat again in six years.

Yes, let’s.  As we are defending our World Championship. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I am in the “we could’ve gotten more if we had waited” crowd.

The thing is Cashner's market would crash after just one bad start. This is a sell high situation and I understand Elias pulling the trigger early. He didn't have much value even with the hot streak, but if he strings together a couple of clunkers, we wouldn't even get what we got.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theocean said:

It doesn’t really matter if we know what we got. Just matters if Elias knows what he got. We’re not privy to all the scouting info they have.

They’re really young. Time will tell. I’d rather have two high-risk, high-reward players than Dillon Tate or somebody like that.

Amen to that, if I were a general manager, the players that I would be avoiding most would be the first round draft picks would already been traded twice.

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, let’s.  As we are defending our World Championship. 

I will be very happy if that is so.I will be very happy if that is so.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or that was just the best offer (out of the two total) he got.

Reactionary move after we won today and are only 1 ahead of Detroit in the W column for the worst pick. It would’ve been reckless to to let Cashner start another game, especially with Means pitching tonight. Haha. 

Seriously though, we got a 17 y o CF and 3B/SS.  Both are putting up good numbers in a pitcher's league in the DSL.  I suspect both of these guys are on the GCL next year, and would guesstimate they fall somewhere between #25-#40 in our organizational rankings.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I will be very happy if that is so.I will be very happy if that is so.

On that we all agree....In Mike, we trust!  

Just now, thezeroes said:

And his Forty Man Spot??

Which could be yet another reason for now rather than a month from now. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

On that we all agree....In Mike, we trust!  

Yes, absolutely. A lot of us may complain, but I think everybody is basically on board with Mike at this time. Let’s just see what Givens brings back.