MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Possible, but Rosenthal is already speculating that he’d be an unlikely playoff roster addition if the Sox make it, given the guys they should get back from the IL by then.

I didn’t mean he could contribute in the playoffs. They just need to make em. Cashner can help with that and right now they need help. The opportunity is there for Cashner to be a big factor. Even if they cast him aside. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don’t disagree. But an unexpected trade. 

Yeah, head-scratcher.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if the deal was any two names off the DSL roster?

Prado the 17 year old CF, is doing pretty well in his first DSL season. 800 OPS with 3 HR's and 9 SB's and alot of walks. His height is only 6'0 so thats one thing not in his favor, but the Sox entire OF I believe is under 6'0. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

Prado the 17 year old CF, is doing pretty well in his first DSL season. 800 OPS with 3 HR's and 9 SB's and alot of walks. His height is only 6'0 so thats one thing not in his favor, but the Sox entire OF I believe is under 6'0. 

Heck at 17 he might not be done growing, or the measurement might be a year old and he's already taller.

12 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Melewski quotes the BOS Asst GM and he was disappointed that the O's selected these two versus others.

Good find. Glad to see that we weren’t afraid to pick two guys in the DSL instead of taking some low ceiling 3B in AA. These two guys actually have decent numbers too. Prado is arguably having the best season on the his team and playing CF. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is a funny place.  We all go crazy on J2 when Elias signs a bunch of guys just like this.  And then we trade an average ML starter for two guys that are just like J2 types and...all of a sudden it's a big letdown.  

I don’t think it’s a let down at all. Not printing playoff tickets, but I don’t think anyone can evaluate with players so young and without knowing all of the $ exchanged. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he took a substantially weaker offer than he could have received elsewhere.

Don't forget there were a lot of people here lamenting over missing out on the prospects that replacement level Adam Jones would have brought back by going to Philly to be a 4th outfielder.

This is basically the same thing.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Good find. Glad to see that we weren’t afraid to pick two guys in the DSL instead of taking some low ceiling 3B in AA. These two guys actually have decent numbers too. Prado is arguably having the best season on the his team and playing CF. 

Would rather gamble on a couple DSL prospects with room to grow over last year’s trades. Still will be surprised if either of these two become every day players. 

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I don’t think it’s a let down at all. Not printing playoff tickets, but I don’t think anyone can evaluate with players so young and without knowing all of the $ exchanged. 

Plus let’s face it... if we go through this miserable season and don’t get the #1 pick next year then it was a waste. 

Also, how many players from our last two drafts and international signing periods, would you rather have over these guys?  Especially Prado. This is a long rebuild.  The goal is to win in 2022+.  Not to win 70 games.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

That doesn’t even make sense. 

Makes sense to me.  The Red Sox gave the O's a list to choose from, the O's took these two guys and Romero didn't want the O's to pick these two guys.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

What I glean: These are prospects that Elias is high enough on to get our ownership to throw cash to the Red Sox — win.

Gosh I hope he doesn't have to go to ownership to trade Cashner level assets.

We don't even need these two new prospects. Cedric Mullins and Richie Martin are our CF and SS of the future...Right? 

56 minutes ago, Philip said:

We know they are 17. They signed with Boston for practically nothing, So even Boston wasn’t that enthusiastic about them. In six years( maybe five years) they will be rule five eligible, so we will know then…

Plenty of international players that got paid on the cheap have gone on to have successful major league careers.  A current example is Ronald Acuna Jr., who signed for $100k with the Braves.  I think Luis Severino signed with the Yankees for like $70k.  Just because these guys weren’t highly thought of at the time they signed doesn’t mean they can’t develop into very good players, as they have.  We see plenty of players get big bonuses and bust (both domestic & international).  That’s why none of us can say for sure that this was a bad trade, because we can’t judge these guys based on what dollar amount they signed for.  I trust Mike Elias & Koby Perez on this one.

Do you think the White Sox regret trading Fernando Tatis Jr. in the deal for James Shields back in 2016?  At the time, Tatis Jr. wasn’t considered a stud prospect and was far away from the big leagues (and he was only 17), which is why the White Sox were willing to give him up and take on a past-his-prime Shields and his big salary.  But look what happened once Tatis got to San Diego?  He developed into a stud, and now the White Sox look pretty bad for making that trade, especially considering they were a fringe contender that year to begin with and Shields wasn’t going to suddenly turn back into the ace he was 3-4 years before that.  Cashner is probably at the same level now that Shields was at that time (maybe even slightly better), only with a much more manageable salary and a pending FA versus a long term albatross of a contract that Shields had.

• Upvote 1