MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

Just now, ThomasTomasz said:

From my understanding, they are essentially paying the signing bonus money and approximately half of the salary remaining, items that they were already responsible for, to avoid the $9 million option for next year.  So about $4.7 million to save $9 million as someone said earlier.  

They would have to be incompetent for that option to vest.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They would have to be incompetent for that option to vest.

So you essentially bench the guy for the final month of the year so the option doesn't vest, and how many players/agents does a new GM turn off before he even has a year on the job?  Quite a few, I would imagine. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

So you essentially bench the guy for the final month of the year so the option doesn't vest, and how many players/agents does a new GM turn off before he even has a year on the job?  Quite a few, I would imagine. 

Huh?

90 games into the season he's at 96.1 innings, the option vests at 187 IP.  Why exactly would they have to "essentially bench the guy for the final month" to keep it from vesting?

For the record Cashner has never pitched 187 innings in a season.

17 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

From my understanding, they are essentially paying the signing bonus money and approximately half of the salary remaining, items that they were already responsible for, to avoid the $9 million option for next year.  So about $4.7 million to save $9 million as someone said earlier.  

Or, they are trading Cashner to save $1.7 million in salary + $400k in international signing assets that have been scouted in DSL and hand picked.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

90 games into the season he's at 96.1 innings, the option vests at 187 IP.  Why exactly would they have to "essentially bench the guy for the final month" to keep it from vesting?

For the record Cashner has never pitched 187 innings in a season.

IF he didn't miss a start for the rest of the season, he was on pace for 85 more innings (15 x 5.2).   So assuming he didn't reach the vesting option, the Orioles save all of $1.86M in this deal in 2019, maybe less with incentives reached?  The O's still owe him an additional $3M.   Those must be some nuggets they've acquired.

1 hour ago, awannabegeek said:

Bag of Balls, Nada, and Nothing are pretty synonymous with worthless.  Or am I missing something? Enlighten me.

In the absence of any information to the contrary, I am firmly of the opinion that we got nothing in return for our boy. If we’d gotten two 17- year old prospects and they’d pick up the salary, that would not be nothing. Better prospects and we pay a bunch of the salary, that would also not be nothing. However it appears that we have saved right around 1 million bucks, and we spent almost that much on Dan Straily.

so yes... In the absence of any information to the contrary I think nothing is an excellent way to describe this trade. However, as I pointed out to someone else, we can certainly talk in six years and review this trade.

37 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Bad trade. I see people going the "well Cashner wasn't that good anyway" route on here but they're trying to convince themselves more than anything. Cashner was a decent pitcher who had a bad year last year but appears to have righted things this year. The trade would have been fine as a salary dump, but if the O's really are paying most of his salary, then the trade makes no sense at all.

Even if he is a decent pitcher, he is making $10M/year. He is a career 1 WAR pitcher who is having a good year but coming off a bad year. Considering the contract, he is not worth much more than the $4M+ or so they will be paying him.

I assume Elias did his due diligence, made teams aware Cashner was available, and took the best deal he could find. You can't say it's a bad trade unless you can prove there was an offer on the table that was passed up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Even if he is a decent pitcher, he is making $10M/year. He is a career 1 WAR pitcher who is having a good year but coming off a bad year. Considering the contract, he is not worth much more than the $4M+ or so they will be paying him.

I assume Elias did his due diligence, made teams aware Cashner was available, and took the best deal he could find. You can't say it's a bad trade unless you can prove there was an offer on the table that was passed up.

Some folks valued the stability that Cashner provided over a light return.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks valued the stability that Cashner provided over a light return.

So we can win .325 instead of .300?

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

For two 17 year olds?  Come on.  At a certain point Elias just need to be fired. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So we can win .325 instead of .300?

Mister Krushchev said, "We will bury you"
I don't subscribe to this point of view

58 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Bad trade. I see people going the "well Cashner wasn't that good anyway" route on here but they're trying to convince themselves more than anything. Cashner was a decent pitcher who had a bad year last year but appears to have righted things this year. The trade would have been fine as a salary dump, but if the O's really are paying most of his salary, then the trade makes no sense at all.

This team has become a joke. I wish they would just move and we could replace them with an MLS team at this point.  

• Downvote 2