MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Peter Angelos is very old.  If you were an owner who was in his mid 80s and a GM says if we sign this guy there is a 1 in 20 chance that he might help the team in 6 to 8 years what would you say.  Hey even I might get to be retired by the time these guys have any remote chance of helping the team,  

I'd say "Boy you sure are doing a poor job phrasing your request in such a manner.".  It is almost as if you don't want me to agree to your request.

Just now, Frobby said:

Angelos is 90.

Yeah but he wasn’t when he was in charge of the team.  Either way his decision making process makes sense.  Maybe if I were a fan in my 20s I would be on board.  In 10 years I will probably be retired and move somewhere else.  Become a fan of the local team.  What do i care about them signing non top rated 16 year olds who are 8 years away if we are lucky.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Peter Angelos is very old.  If you were an owner who was in his mid 80s and a GM says if we sign this guy there is a 1 in 20 chance that he might help the team in 6 to 8 years what would you say.  Hey even I might get to be retired by the time these guys have any remote chance of helping the team,  

That’s another thing I was thinking just this morning. Mike is acting as if he cares more about the future than the present. Dan acted as if he cared more about the present than the future.

Whether he was doing those, “sacrifice future for present” moves under duress or not is moot. We can only be glad that things have changed.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah but he wasn’t when he was in charge of the team.  Either way his decision making process makes sense.  Maybe if I were a fan in my 20s I would be on board.  In 10 years I will probably be retired and move somewhere else.  Become a fan of the local team.  What do i care about them signing non top rated 16 year olds who are 8 years away if we are lucky.

They will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft in 6 years. If they aren’t good enough To be protected by that time, it will be clear that we lost.So it’s 6 years or nothing.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

They will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft in 6 years. If they aren’t good enough To be protected by that time, it will be clear that we lost.So it’s 6 years or nothing.

Yeah but you can stay on here 40 man without being in the big leagues.  Hays has been on the 40 man for his third year and we aren’t certain on him.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am a fan in my 60s and am totally on board with the plan.  I have already made sure  my heirs know that any pennants from any future titles be appropriately shared with me at my resting place....lol    But I hope God’s will is for us all to see quite a bit more winning (and losing) baseball before being blessed to be hearing Chuck call all the games through eternity. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Yeah but you can stay on here 40 man without being in the big leagues.  Hays has been on the 40 man for his third year and we aren’t certain on him.

You completely missed my point. If they’re not good enough to be put on the 40 man within six years, we have lost. It is possible that they are good enough to be on the 40 man and are still bad, but Deserving a 40 men spot indicates something positive. If they don’t, Then it will be obvious that we wasted our time back in those good old days of 2019.

43 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meanwhile check out what Lynn is doing with the Rangers...

I'm skeptical he can keep it up, but Lynn's underlying stats were / are still 1,000 times better than Cashner's. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here's hoping he sabotages the Sox pennant drive and returns to form.  I'll have felt like we made a great trade if Cashner goes to Boston, gets hammered around and ends up losing more than he wins.  

With Cashner in their rotation and Eovaldi soon to be their closer what could possibly go wrong?

• Upvote 1

#TankInsurance

Losing a couple more games against Boston could be just what it takes to get the 1st draft pick again.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Peter Angelos isn't involved in decision-making anymore, as far as pretty much every report has said.

But I agree with you - and I totally see why they put all of their resources into the major league roster during the 2012-2016 stretch. Can't fault Angelos for wanting to try to win while he could. Illich and the Tigers did the same thing. It was fun while it lasted.

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

Peter Angelos isn't involved in decision-making anymore, as far as pretty much every report has said.

But I agree with you - and I totally see why they put all of their resources into the major league roster during the 2012-2016 stretch. Can't fault Angelos for wanting to try to win while he could. Illich and the Tigers did the same thing. It was fun while it lasted.

Pretty sure the TIgers haven't ignored the international market like the Orioles did.

Here's an article from 2016 for instance.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/lynn-henning/2016/07/04/henning-tigers-playing-cool-international-market/86692012/

They signed a 16-year-old shortstop from the Dominican Republic, Wenceel Perez, who was No. 23 on Baseball America’s list of Top 50 international targets. And on Monday morning, they signed a top Venezuelan target, outfielder Jhon Sandoval, who has right-handed power and speed, and who in tandem with Perez appears to have cost the Tigers a bit more than $1 million, total.

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

I’d sit Santander when Straily pitches, we can’t risk the optics of having our Venezuelan OF left to defend himself with only a glove with Dan on the mound. 

Fine, cuz you keep pressing this conspiracy theory of yours, I'll entertain you: What evidence do you have that the Cashner trade was made to increase our profile "below the equator" as you put it?

13 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

So this is just my open question, if you don’t know anything about the players coming back, how do you judge the return? I can’t judge the return. 

Of course you can’t. The only thing we know is our guys down there have had eyes on them and  then we can have trust in our guys and hope for the best.

I personally like the idea that we’re building a lower level foundation. These two guys will be put next to a bunch of other guys with potential. I assume some will turn into something. This move improves those odds.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

At that point what reason does anyone have to watch this team for the next several years?  

I honestly don’t understand why you don’t just check out for the next 2 years. Elias is clearly building a different way than you want. You might as well wait for the payoff because the process is driving you mad.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I honestly don’t understand why you don’t just check out for the next 2 years. Elias is clearly building a different way than you want. You might as well wait for the payoff because the process is driving you mad.

People who don't come to the realization that Elias and company were hired for a Houston-style full rebuild, and then don't come to terms with the two or three horrendously painful years of major-league level baseball that entails, are going to have a really tough time of things upcoming.  I agree, if they can't stomach this, it's probably in their best interest to find another hobby the next few seasons and check back later. 

This is a time where you take your enjoyment from watching the construction of the new building... not looking at the ground where the building is going to go and exasperatingly bemoan that it's empty right now. 

• Upvote 1