Jump to content
MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Meanwhile Cashner is 1-4 with an 8.01 ERA for the Red Sox. Whoops. 

Yeah, Cashner needed to be dealt and hopefully a few years from now one or both of these guys are contributing at the big league level.

BTW, the tweet seems misleading to me, saying, "The Dominican Summer League players from the Cashner trade are off to hot starts in the #Orioles organization,"  yet the article goes on to say that Prado has a .791 OPS and Romero has a .653 OPS with their respective DSL Orioles squads. Prado has impressed overall, but Romero has certainly not gotten off to a hot start. I can't help myself when I see something that appears to misrepresent the facts. Then again, I admit I could be missing something. Regardless, I hope to see these young men do well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, Cashner needed to be dealt and hopefully a few years from now one or both of these guys are contributing at the big league level.

BTW, the tweet seems misleading to me, saying, "The Dominican Summer League players from the Cashner trade are off to hot starts in the #Orioles organization,"  yet the article goes on to say that Prado has a .791 OPS and Romero has a .653 OPS with their respective DSL Orioles squads. Prado has impressed overall, but Romero has certainly not gotten off to a hot start. I can't help myself when I see something that appears to misrepresent the facts. Then again, I admit I could be missing something. Regardless, I hope to see these young men do well.

I didn't think Cashner had that much trade value to begin with so I'll trust Elias call that this was the right offer to accept. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't think Cashner had that much trade value to begin with so I'll trust Elias call that this was the right offer to accept. 

I agree. My comments have nothing to do with the trade or the value we received.  I liked the trade. My comments were in regards to 'Orioles on MASN' tweeting what they did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greg Pappas said:

I agree. My comments have nothing to do with the trade or the value we received.  I liked the trade. My comments were specific to 'Orioles on MASN' tweeting what they did. 

MASN isn't going to report anything with a critical slant on the Orioles. With DSL prospects we really have no idea about them anyways. Even if they were OPS-ing 1.000 it doesn't mean they will be MLB players in 5 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

MASN isn't going to report anything with a critical slant on the Orioles. With DSL prospects we really have no idea about them anyways. Even if they were OPS-ing 1.000 it doesn't mean they will be MLB players in 5 years. 

And sometimes you have guys like Schoop who have a .612 OPS at 17 years old in the DSL and go on to solid MLB careers. You can’t scout the stat line at that level.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trade was worth the agitation on Sons of Sam Horn...

”the guys the Sox traded could burn down the orphanage Babe Ruth grew up in and this trade would still favor Baltimore.” 

“I am in a seat at Fenway with an obstructed view of the plate.  Thank God for that!”

 

LOL 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Cashner's first BOS start (7/16), here's their entire rotation (ERA avg 6.48) .   Let's just say, he fits right in

Name     GS    W    L      IP       ERA       K9        BB9    WHIP
Price         4      0    3    17.0    10.59    12.71    3.71    2.18
Johnson   2    0    0        5.2      9.53      4.76    3.18    2.12
Cashner    6    1    4     30.1      8.01      6.23    5.04    1.91
Porcello    5    3    2     27.2      6.83      7.81    1.63    1.45
Sale           5    3    2     29.0     4.97    14.28     2.48     1.03
ERod         5    3    1     30.2     3.23      7.04     5.58    1.40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Since Cashner's first BOS start (7/16), here's their entire rotation (ERA avg 6.48) .   Let's just say, he fits right in

Name     GS    W    L      IP       ERA       K9        BB9    WHIP
Price         4      0    3    17.0    10.59    12.71    3.71    2.18
Johnson   2    0    0        5.2      9.53      4.76    3.18    2.12
Cashner    6    1    4     30.1      8.01      6.23    5.04    1.91
Porcello    5    3    2     27.2      6.83      7.81    1.63    1.45
Sale           5    3    2     29.0     4.97    14.28     2.48     1.03
ERod         5    3    1     30.2     3.23      7.04     5.58    1.40

Looks like the Red Sox have fallen victim to the current state of baseball.  Chris Sale has a stellar K9, BB9 and WHIP and yet his ERA is almost five during that stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, Cashner needed to be dealt and hopefully a few years from now one or both of these guys are contributing at the big league level.

BTW, the tweet seems misleading to me, saying, "The Dominican Summer League players from the Cashner trade are off to hot starts in the #Orioles organization,"  yet the article goes on to say that Prado has a .791 OPS and Romero has a .653 OPS with their respective DSL Orioles squads. Prado has impressed overall, but Romero has certainly not gotten off to a hot start. I can't help myself when I see something that appears to misrepresent the facts. Then again, I admit I could be missing something. Regardless, I hope to see these young men do well.

You have to factor in that the DSL is a pitching-friendly league (average OPS .697) and Romero plays a defense-first position.   I don’t know that I’d call .653 a “hot start,” but it’s decent for a 17-year old SS in that league.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have to factor in that the DSL is a pitching-friendly league (average OPS .697) and Romero plays a defense-first position.   I don’t know that I’d call .653 a “hot start,” but it’s decent for a 17-year old SS in that league.

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Looks like the Red Sox have fallen victim to the current state of baseball.  Chris Sale has a stellar K9, BB9 and WHIP and yet his ERA is almost five during that stretch.

While ERod's stats are poor and yet his ERA is the lowest, the only one under 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

 

Cashner has been relegated to the bullpen. 

 

o

 

Good info.

Thank you.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 7:32 PM, LA2 said:

While ERod's stats are poor and yet his ERA is the lowest, the only one under 4.

4.10 now.  And still a 117 ERA+.  One can argue that his stats are not poor, but average and a little lucky.

Red Sox have a team 4.71 ERA which looks awful.  And it's a 102 ERA+!  That's crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

4.10 now.  And still a 117 ERA+.  One can argue that his stats are not poor, but average and a little lucky.

Red Sox have a team 4.71 ERA which looks awful.  And it's a 102 ERA+!  That's crazy.

In 2014, that 4.71 team ERA would place the Red Sox in dead last in the AL team pitching by 0.14 points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • I'm not particularly vouching for COC's entire list as it would differ from mine. I was just saying that Tate is the most important to keep from his list and Wilkerson is DFA fodder IMO.  Davis is Davis, he's completely useless as a MLB player at this point but he will probably hang around because of the obvious reason.  Wynns, yes Elias wants catching depth, but Wynns is utterly replaceable from a baseball talent standpoint. He's pretty equivalent to the standard waiver wire catcher.
    • Two things that have been talked about needing attention in the minors are distances between venues within a league (i.e. travel burden on players) and pay.  As someone already mentioned, fewer clubs = fewer players, possibly making it more feasible to consider pay increases for those remaining. This makes sense to me, and their current pay situation really does need to be addressed.  As for distances, many of those on the list of 42 are clearly being eliminated because of their distance from other clubs. As someone else already mentioned, remaining venues will probably be reassigned, not only to a different MLB affiliation but also perhaps a different level and thereby a different league. With some doing, a better geographic alignment within leagues might ultimately be possible. Shortening the grueling bus-ride distances may take away a traditional rite of passage, but could really assist in the health of the players that teams are investing so much in.  About Frederick? Perhaps their ability to draw decent attendance means they're good candidates for success as an independent league venue. Otherwise, no idea. Would really like to know the thinking behind eliminating them. My hope is that since the plan was initiated by Luhnow and quickly adopted by Stearns and Elias (see below), its focus really was on improving the development process, not just another plan to cut ownership costs -- naive as that might seem.  More info: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/rob-manfreds-plan-to-destroy-minor-league-baseball/ar-BBWRVGV   
    • How was Blier injured last season? He found magic, had core surgery, has not shown magic to me since. I say he is expensive for what he is. 
    • Here is the guys on the veterans ballot: I would like to see Tommy John and Lou Whitaker to get in.  To make this Oriole related: Does Dwight Evans go in as an Oriole if he makes it 😀   1 y Lou Whitaker 93 2 y Dwight Evans 70 3 y Tommy John 112 4 y Dale Murphy 116 5 y Ted Simmons 125 6 y Thurman Munson 90 7 y Don Mattingly 134 8 y Dave Parker 125 9 y Steve Garvey 131    
    • In my view: Hess?  Is being converted to the pen.   He has a 3.00 ERA, 225 avg and a 1.08 WHIP in 24 IP at Norfolk.   He could be DFA'd if Elias finds someone better.  Has option. Smith?  I think he could go in the next day or so but at any rate I don't think he makes it through the off season without being DFA'd. Has option Wynns sounds like Elias wants to keep him for now.  If Elias finds someone better as you suggest he could go.  Has option. Mullins probably tries to re-establish himself at AAA.   Depends on how he does has to how long he stays.  Could be a 4th OFer with the ability to back on CF/LF. Has option. O's need good relievers.   Bleier has been good when healthy.   He was injured early last season but did better toward the end of the season.  I think he stays for now.  Doesn't have much trade value right now.  Has option. Kline has a good arm, is cheap and I think he may start the year at AAA unless he does great in ST.   I don't think they give up in his arm yet. Has option Phillips is on the bubble.  Has done what he need to do at AAA but hasn't had success with the O's.   Whether he stay depend on who either Elias brings on.  Has option. Yes, Davis will not be cut.  Elias as expressed support for him in view of his contract. I believe there is a low chance that the O's make a trade prior to setting the roster for the Rule 5 draft.    
    • You have to have played in 10 different seasons and make it past the screening committee.  
    • Google ten-cent beer night… That was quite a game.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...