MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Meanwhile Cashner is 1-4 with an 8.01 ERA for the Red Sox. Whoops. 

Yeah, Cashner needed to be dealt and hopefully a few years from now one or both of these guys are contributing at the big league level.

BTW, the tweet seems misleading to me, saying, "The Dominican Summer League players from the Cashner trade are off to hot starts in the #Orioles organization,"  yet the article goes on to say that Prado has a .791 OPS and Romero has a .653 OPS with their respective DSL Orioles squads. Prado has impressed overall, but Romero has certainly not gotten off to a hot start. I can't help myself when I see something that appears to misrepresent the facts. Then again, I admit I could be missing something. Regardless, I hope to see these young men do well.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, Cashner needed to be dealt and hopefully a few years from now one or both of these guys are contributing at the big league level.

BTW, the tweet seems misleading to me, saying, "The Dominican Summer League players from the Cashner trade are off to hot starts in the #Orioles organization,"  yet the article goes on to say that Prado has a .791 OPS and Romero has a .653 OPS with their respective DSL Orioles squads. Prado has impressed overall, but Romero has certainly not gotten off to a hot start. I can't help myself when I see something that appears to misrepresent the facts. Then again, I admit I could be missing something. Regardless, I hope to see these young men do well.

I didn't think Cashner had that much trade value to begin with so I'll trust Elias call that this was the right offer to accept. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't think Cashner had that much trade value to begin with so I'll trust Elias call that this was the right offer to accept. 

I agree. My comments have nothing to do with the trade or the value we received.  I liked the trade. My comments were in regards to 'Orioles on MASN' tweeting what they did. 

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

I agree. My comments have nothing to do with the trade or the value we received.  I liked the trade. My comments were specific to 'Orioles on MASN' tweeting what they did. 

MASN isn't going to report anything with a critical slant on the Orioles. With DSL prospects we really have no idea about them anyways. Even if they were OPS-ing 1.000 it doesn't mean they will be MLB players in 5 years. 

22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

MASN isn't going to report anything with a critical slant on the Orioles. With DSL prospects we really have no idea about them anyways. Even if they were OPS-ing 1.000 it doesn't mean they will be MLB players in 5 years. 

And sometimes you have guys like Schoop who have a .612 OPS at 17 years old in the DSL and go on to solid MLB careers. You can’t scout the stat line at that level.

• Upvote 3

The trade was worth the agitation on Sons of Sam Horn...

”the guys the Sox traded could burn down the orphanage Babe Ruth grew up in and this trade would still favor Baltimore.” 

“I am in a seat at Fenway with an obstructed view of the plate.  Thank God for that!”

LOL 

• Haha 3

Since Cashner's first BOS start (7/16), here's their entire rotation (ERA avg 6.48) .   Let's just say, he fits right in

Name     GS    W    L      IP       ERA       K9        BB9    WHIP
Price         4      0    3    17.0    10.59    12.71    3.71    2.18
Johnson   2    0    0        5.2      9.53      4.76    3.18    2.12
Cashner    6    1    4     30.1      8.01      6.23    5.04    1.91
Porcello    5    3    2     27.2      6.83      7.81    1.63    1.45
Sale           5    3    2     29.0     4.97    14.28     2.48     1.03
ERod         5    3    1     30.2     3.23      7.04     5.58    1.40

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Since Cashner's first BOS start (7/16), here's their entire rotation (ERA avg 6.48) .   Let's just say, he fits right in

Name     GS    W    L      IP       ERA       K9        BB9    WHIP
Price         4      0    3    17.0    10.59    12.71    3.71    2.18
Johnson   2    0    0        5.2      9.53      4.76    3.18    2.12
Cashner    6    1    4     30.1      8.01      6.23    5.04    1.91
Porcello    5    3    2     27.2      6.83      7.81    1.63    1.45
Sale           5    3    2     29.0     4.97    14.28     2.48     1.03
ERod         5    3    1     30.2     3.23      7.04     5.58    1.40

Looks like the Red Sox have fallen victim to the current state of baseball.  Chris Sale has a stellar K9, BB9 and WHIP and yet his ERA is almost five during that stretch.

7 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

You have to factor in that the DSL is a pitching-friendly league (average OPS .697) and Romero plays a defense-first position.   I don’t know that I’d call .653 a “hot start,” but it’s decent for a 17-year old SS in that league.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have to factor in that the DSL is a pitching-friendly league (average OPS .697) and Romero plays a defense-first position.   I don’t know that I’d call .653 a “hot start,” but it’s decent for a 17-year old SS in that league.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Looks like the Red Sox have fallen victim to the current state of baseball.  Chris Sale has a stellar K9, BB9 and WHIP and yet his ERA is almost five during that stretch.

While ERod's stats are poor and yet his ERA is the lowest, the only one under 4.

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Cashner has been relegated to the bullpen. 

o

Good info.

Thank you.

o

On 8/12/2019 at 7:32 PM, LA2 said:

While ERod's stats are poor and yet his ERA is the lowest, the only one under 4.

4.10 now.  And still a 117 ERA+.  One can argue that his stats are not poor, but average and a little lucky.

Red Sox have a team 4.71 ERA which looks awful.  And it's a 102 ERA+!  That's crazy.

2 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

4.10 now.  And still a 117 ERA+.  One can argue that his stats are not poor, but average and a little lucky.

Red Sox have a team 4.71 ERA which looks awful.  And it's a 102 ERA+!  That's crazy.

In 2014, that 4.71 team ERA would place the Red Sox in dead last in the AL team pitching by 0.14 points.