MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Definitely is. While I don't think he brings back a guy sniffing the top 100, he should at least bring back a somewhat intriguing guy.

I'd expect another international player, but one who is a bit more accomplished than the two Cashner brought back. Elias really wants to improve the level of international talent. That may be the best way to show Dominican families that the O's intend to be players for top talent next year and beyond.

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

That’s one of the strangest things I’ve ever read.

I'm agreeing with you there.  Unless some long range play exists that I can't figure out I don't see where it makes a difference if the talent acquired in a trade is international or domestic.  Hence my line about winning a DSL title.

10 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Teams aren’t giving up much for guys they see as 5th starters/long men.

It seems like wishful thinking by the Red Sox that they will just need him to be the 5th starter/long man

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

I'd expect another international player, but one who is a bit more accomplished than the two Cashner brought back. Elias really wants to improve the level of international talent. That may be the best way to show Dominican families that the O's intend to be players for top talent next year and beyond.

Frankly it's a really really bad idea as the hit rate on J2 talent is even worse than the rule 4 draft. When you're in talent acquisition phase you don't worry about where the talent comes from or what position they play.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

You think teams would have more confidence putting Givens in late than Cashner?

Sure,  with the way Givens has been pitching lately, and especially since Cashner is not a reliever.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't think going to one of these families and mentioning that the O's traded for a couple of 17 year olds is going to be moving any needles.

I guess maybe if the player in question is a close relative?

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Frankly it's a really really bad idea as the hit rate on J2 talent is even worse than the rule 4 draft. When you're in talent acquisition phase you don't worry about where the talent comes from or what position they play.

If you're making a new commitment to international signings you want to become competitive with other teams as soon as possible.

OH from January '19 to July 13th, 5:15 PM:  We'll trade Cashner and get some good prospects!!!

OH from July 13th 5:15 and onward:  We traded Cashner!  And got two teenagers, WTF?!?!?!?!?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think going to one of these families and mentioning that the O's traded for a couple of 17 year olds is going to be moving any needles.

I guess maybe if the player in question is a close relative?

I'm assuming that all the top kids have advisers who keep them abreast of what the teams are doing. 

If you're making a new commitment to international signings you want to become competitive with other teams as soon as possible.

I don't see how this helps.

You are the parent of one of these kids, does this trade make you more likely to advise your son to sign with the O's?

I don't think it does.  Whatever he's doing I don't think it's that.

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

97. 1 innings and needs 187 to convert it to a player option.  Although if he does well, he might be a cheap 5th starter replacement at 10 million  for them next year as the team has the option if he doesn’t get to 187. 

Another place states it would be 360 innings total in 2018-2019 and that he is at 249.1 combined which leaves 110.9 to become a player option.   Unlikely to get that many even without manipulation. 

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

At least they don't have to worry about putting them on the 40 man!

A 17 yo SS with decent numbers and a 17 yo CF with strong numbers.  Trust the process.

It would be nice to see these kids play against real competition before offering them 200k.  Maybe these two sign for more if they were back in that FA pool now.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

OH from January '19 to July 13th, 5:15 PM:  We'll trade Cashner and get some good prospects!!!

OH from July 13th 5:15 and onward:  We traded Cashner!  And got two teenagers, WTF?!?!?!?!?

Otherwise known as the moment reality sunk in. 

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming that all the top kids have advisers who keep them abreast of what the teams are doing. 

And you think trading for these two kids makes any difference at all to those advisers?