mcloy

Who is next?

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

To pick up he s contract for next year I’ve read 6-7 million. 

Folks here including Weams are saying dump Villar for anything you can get as he won’t be offered a contract by a us for next year. I don’t agree with that take and would lose faith in the front office if it actually did something that stupid.

I agree you try to deal him if you can get real value. If you can’t try again in the off-season or next deadline. 

If nothing else he’s fun to watch play as opposed to watching players that are automatic outs.

You obviously find picks off plays more entertaining than I do.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles will spend no money on 25 man roster players for the next three seasons. None that they are not required to. That is the plan. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's arbitration eligible.  He's going to get more than a 1.5M raise as an arb 3.

I don't have any data on hand by I'm thinking 8M maybe?  I don't see why the O's need an 8M guy at second base when they aren't going to be competitive.

Plus team speed is not a cool thing anymore. Except on defense. And he is really not a defensive wiz. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

To pick up he s contract for next year I’ve read 6-7 million. 

Folks here including Weams are saying dump Villar for anything you can get as he won’t be offered a contract by a us for next year. I don’t agree with that take and would lose faith in the front office if it actually did something that stupid.

I agree you try to deal him if you can get real value. If you can’t try again in the off-season or next deadline. 

If nothing else he’s fun to watch play as opposed to watching players that are automatic outs.

Paying Villar would $6-7 million would be a complete waste of money. He's a poor defender and medicore hitter.If you're looking for a comp, he's a worse player than Howie Kendrick who can't even seem to get regular ABs unless someone is injured. If the Orioles can find someone to take Villar (I have my doubts) they should trade him. And if they don't they should let him walk. They'd be better off signing someone like Josh Harrison or Neil Walk or half the price if they need a stopgap. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Dude we're gonna get so many they're gonna have to open a 3rd DSL team. 

Villar should get at least 4.

Mancini? Shoot. You can get the whole lineup with just him. 

Givens maybe even get a 16 year old! 

Is this a Jeffrey Epstein discussion?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Is this a Jeffrey Epstein discussion?

Urgh.. no. Definitely not.  

And the fact that it could be taken that way, even as a joke, means I am deleting that post. 

But I do hope we continue to trade for more international youngsters because our chips aren't very good so I'd rather continue to stock up in that area instead of get middling minor leaguers. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

The Orioles will spend no money on 25 man roster players for the next three seasons. None that they are not required to. That is the plan. 

Then it will be a tough road.  I have commented previously that the Houston model had them increasing payroll $15 to $20 million a year through the rebuild.  A rebuild requires additions through all avenues.

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Then it will be a tough road.  I have commented previously that the Houston model had them increasing payroll $15 to $20 million a year through the rebuild.  A rebuild requires additions through all avenues.

I'd like to see them sign some guys in the off season mostly as good veteran leaders for the young guys (at positions that won't block people) and then try and flip any that are playing well enough to flip for literally anything at the deadline.

12 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The Astros also managed to cut payroll to a much lower level than the Orioles have.  In 2013 they were at 22M. 

57 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Paying Villar would $6-7 million would be a complete waste of money. He's a poor defender and medicore hitter.If you're looking for a comp, he's a worse player than Howie Kendrick who can't even seem to get regular ABs unless someone is injured. If the Orioles can find someone to take Villar (I have my doubts) they should trade him. And if they don't they should let him walk. They'd be better off signing someone like Josh Harrison or Neil Walk or half the price if they need a stopgap. 

He’s not a poor defender at 2B. His numbers are hurt by being forced to play him at SS because Martin has no bat.

Im sick of hearing that our players are worthless because the Os are forced to play them out of position.

If you trade Mancini as an OF his defensive value hurts him. So you trade him as a 1B because that’s what he’s been his whole career. Obviously the Orioles have played him out of position because or Davis.

On the same note, you don’t trade for Villar  to play SS. His fielding percentage is 40-50 points higher at 2B

As I mentioned, he’s a hustle player. You act like he has no value.  Which is just wrong. I believe Elias would like to trade him. I stand bye my position that he’s not going to just dump him. So again, no chance they nontender him.

1 hour ago, weams said:

They won’t just cut assets to save money. Who have they done that with this far.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Plus team speed is not a cool thing anymore. Except on defense. And he is really not a defensive wiz. 

Again, nearly half his starts are at SS. He is a lesser defender at SS. 

Also, I don’t like watching him get picked off. And yes the mistakes piss me off as well. But he’s better to watch than Martin and to a lesser extent Ruiz at the plate 3-4 times per night.

I’m not pretending he’s a superstar. But he’s far from worthless.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

They won’t just cut assets to save money. Who have they done that with this far.

Again, nearly half his starts are at SS. He is a lesser defender at SS. 

Also, I don’t like watching him get picked off. And yes the mistakes piss me off as well. But he’s better to watch than Martin and to a lesser extent Ruiz at the plate 3-4 times per night.

I’m not pretending he’s a superstar. But he’s far from worthless.

They traded Brach for 1/3 of Jack Zoellner.

Gotta say, Villar made two spectacular plays at SS in Saturday night when I attended.    Not saying he’s a great SS, but he has his moments.